D70s purchase in Japan—good idea?

Started Jan 19, 2006 | Discussions
Photologist Junior Member • Posts: 34
D70s purchase in Japan—good idea?

Hello:

I am a newbie. I posted this in "pro" talk as well. Hope that won't upset anyone.

Perhaps someone can help me?

I live in the US, but, I am currently in Japan and am considering purchasing a D70s while here at a very good price.

1) Is the warranty honored in the US? They say "yes."

2) CD Rom: They claim I can get an English manual here. What about the CD? Is that in Japanese or in English or both?

3) Would I have to pay duty when re-entering the US?

Finally: Is it worth the "hassle"?

Thanks for your help,

Photologist

jfriedl Senior Member • Posts: 1,557
Re: D70s purchase in Japan—good idea?

If it's boxed for the domestic market, its warranty is almost certainly valid only for Japan. The warranty card (about the size of a postcard, white, with yellow nikon logo as the background) should say in English "This warranty card is valid in Japan only". Virtually all electronics I buy here are similar, including the D200 I got last week.

You can download the English manual from Nikon's web site. You can also purchase here (for about 700 yen -- my English D200 manual is on order). Don't know about the CD, as I haven't even looked at mine.

About duty, that's up to the US customs inspector. You certainly must declare it , and its value (if a really great price, keep the receipt to prove so). The rule is that you get the first $400 worth of stuff free, and then pay a flat 10% on top of that. If you're paying about $1,000 for the camera and have nothing else to declare, you might end up having to pay $60 in customs tax. But you might not pay anything -- it depends on the mood of the inspector. I've traveled back and forth many (50+) times, and have always declared things appropriately, and have only had to pay taxes once.

Whether it's worth the hassel is up to you. Certainly, you'll be boned if you need warranty work done, as it'll be out-of-pocket unless you send it back to Japan (to the store you bought it from, generally).

I'm currently faced with the exact opposite situation: I want to buy an SB800, but they're $450-$500 here, while $300ish in The States. So, even after shipping, I can save $100+ by buying it in The States, but then if it breaks I'm screwed warranty wise. For a $300 flash I'm not toooo worried, but the worry goes up with the cost.

(A 4GB Sandisk Extreme III costs $900 here! I was going to order from The States when I decided to take a chance and spend $350 on a Transcend 80x 4GB card domestically. It has performed wonderfully, as per this post: http://regex.info/blog/2006-01-14/132 )

Jeffrey

-- hide signature --

Jeffrey Friedl -- Kyoto, Japan -- http://regex.info/blog/

jfriedl Senior Member • Posts: 1,557

By the way, I forgot to add, be sure to consider the time value of things. If you'll be here for a while, there may well be appreciable value in simply having such a nice camera while you're here.

I saved a lot of money by not buying a really nice camera when my son was born, but it's one of my greatest photographic regrets.

Jeffrey

-- hide signature --

Jeffrey Friedl -- Kyoto, Japan -- http://regex.info/blog/

OP Photologist Junior Member • Posts: 34

Hello Jeffrey:

Thanks so much for your answer! : ))

Left a comment on your blog.

Thanks,

Photologist

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads