imac Memory??

Started Jan 9, 2006 | Discussions
Dick Lund Contributing Member • Posts: 781
imac Memory??

I have ordered an imac. I will upgrade the memory. Looking at OWC a 2 gig stick is $259. on the Crucial site a 2 gig stick is $899. Can anyone explain the reason for such a big difference in price?

The apple store is $1200.

Thank You
Dick

Dick Lund's gear list:Dick Lund's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D700 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +11 more
Michael Eckstein Senior Member • Posts: 2,179
Re: imac Memory??

I believe you need two pne gig ram modules for an iMac. It has 512mg soldered in and two empty slots which can accomadate up to one gig ram each.
--
'Most Lenses are Better Than Most Photographers' - Michael H.
Reichmann

Michael Eckstein's gear list:Michael Eckstein's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Conchita Veteran Member • Posts: 9,914

It has one 512 chip soldered in, yes, but only one expansion slot. The older models had two slots. one of which had a removable chip already in place.

Michel Corbin Contributing Member • Posts: 788

I can't answer why there is such a discrepancy, but I can tell you that I just received 2 stick of 1GB each (for the previous iMac G5) and installed it and this think is now cruisin'

Got it from http://www.18004memory.com which I found through dealram.com I think. They have a good rating on resellerratings.com. The 2 sticks were $75 ea.

MacBrian Contributing Member • Posts: 587

there really is no difference. since the OWC memory comes with a full replacement warranty it's a no brainer.

i've bought plenty of memory from OWC and never had any problems.

Conchita Veteran Member • Posts: 9,914

Hi, Michel. The new imacs use DDR2 memory, which is more expensive. (I agree about 1-800-4memory. I got a very good price there on Samsung RAM for my isight imac.)

tivoboy Senior Member • Posts: 1,421
1gb 50$

I ordered a 1 GB stick of corsair from outpost.com, there was, is a special with a 25$ rebate making it 50$ deliver.

that was enough for me.

KG2002 Regular Member • Posts: 334
Paid ~$390CA for 2x1G Corsair Value chips, at TigersDirect.

Running over 6 months, no issues. I am using DDR though as I've got one of the first iMacs last year.

As of the price, I believe it is just overpriced memory. You have money to buy Mac, you have money to pay for the memory. When I was looking for right chips, I was also offer a $1500+ Kingston super-duper solution, but no one could explain why I should be using these particular chips ("They are just much better!!!").

Paul Cypert Regular Member • Posts: 252
Re: Paid ~$390CA for 2x1G Corsair Value chips, at TigersDirect.

If it's an isight imac you'll be shelling out the bucks for a 2gig stick...i'd go with 1gig till the prices come down but that's me. If it's older you should be able to get two individual 1 gig sticks for around 60 or so each...

Be sure to check because I ordered the wrong darn memory and had to wait a week with my shiny iMac running with a lowly 512

Paul

david jean Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Paid ~$390CA for 2x1G Corsair Value chips, at TigersDirect.

I just received my new 20" iMac and a 2 gig chip from 8004memory (ram was $399) and popped that sucker in and am happy with the performance. And yes, the new iMacs only have one expansion slot.

Deecy Senior Member • Posts: 1,589

Michel Corbin wrote:

I can't answer why there is such a discrepancy, but I can tell you
that I just received 2 stick of 1GB each (for the previous iMac G5)
and installed it and this think is now cruisin'

Got it from http://www.18004memory.com which I found through dealram.com I
think. They have a good rating on resellerratings.com. The 2 sticks
were $75 ea.

-- hide signature --

Michael,

I clicked on your site but the Ram selections are so numerous it's hard to know where to start. How did you find your $75 ram?

Tom
Deecy//

http://tomdeecy.blogspot.com/

Michel Corbin Contributing Member • Posts: 788

Deecy, I have to say I am not completely sure that I went through dealram.com. I checked out a few shopping sites similar to that one, looked for name brand RAM that was compatible with my system, then checked the retailer on retailerratings.com. Actually now that I think of it, it was on the Apple support discussion page for the G5 that I saw the links. One was for dealram.com and the other ramseeker.com. Good luck.

OP Dick Lund Contributing Member • Posts: 781

Thanks for the resposnes.

i ordered the 2 gig from OWC. According to them many sites are grossly overpriced. OWC guarantees the chips and they exceed the imac spec.

The imac and the memory will arrive tomorrow.

Dick

Dick Lund's gear list:Dick Lund's gear list
Nikon D100 Nikon D700 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads