Help Me find F10 Instruction Threads

Started Jan 9, 2006 | Discussions
oldbutdumb New Member • Posts: 15
Help Me find F10 Instruction Threads

I just got a new F10 and I have seen several threads that contained instructions for best using this beauty. I recall someone saying to use -2/3 ev or "never use auto" etc. but I'm trying to find the best or most complete set of instructions on how to setup this camera. The manual is no help for getting it right the first time. Can anyone familiar with the forum give me a roadmap or instructions on how to track this down?
--
oldbutdumb

GAREB Veteran Member • Posts: 3,662
Re: Help Me find F10 Instruction Threads

The Internet is full of links on photography tips, just yesterday there was a link for Fuji Links, on that web page you can find links for all the photography tips and instructions for just about every Fuji digital camera made. There also is a link to a very good site on that page to download some great digital photography books and photoshop and other post processing books. Look at that web page and you'll find everything you need I think. It has helped me a lot.
JD

packy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,540

oldbutdumb wrote:

I just got a new F10 and I have seen several threads that contained
instructions for best using this beauty. I recall someone saying
to use -2/3 ev or "never use auto" etc. but I'm trying to find the
best or most complete set of instructions on how to setup this
camera. The manual is no help for getting it right the first time.
Can anyone familiar with the forum give me a roadmap or
instructions on how to track this down?
--
oldbutdumb

Sorry...my memory is c*%p! But to set ev you gotta be in manual and yeah the F10 tends to over-expose a bit. I've set mine up with -1/3.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Packy
http://homepage.eircom.net/~vmax
for my photo album

Poochdp Senior Member • Posts: 2,667
Manual from Fuji's site

Go here to download a pdf version of the manual in case you dont like the one that came with the camera.

http://www.fujifilm.com/JSP/fuji/epartners/ServiceSupportProductContent.jsp?dbid=833668&prodcat=833110&sscucatid=664271

Kim Letkeman
Kim Letkeman Forum Pro • Posts: 33,424

oldbutdumb wrote:

I just got a new F10 and I have seen several threads that contained
instructions for best using this beauty. I recall someone saying
to use -2/3 ev or "never use auto" etc. but I'm trying to find the
best or most complete set of instructions on how to setup this
camera. The manual is no help for getting it right the first time.
Can anyone familiar with the forum give me a roadmap or
instructions on how to track this down?

I'm an F11 owner but have read almost every thread on here for the last month. So here is my $0.02 ...

1) Don't be afraid of auto. If you need the shot and you cannot remember where everything is set, auto will usually do just fine.

2) Watch out for ISO. If you set the value, it remains set there even after the camera has been off. You should leave it on auto ISO before you switch off.

3) Natural light mode works very well, but will go for high ISO (1600) with no reservations. If you do not want to post process, you may want to set ISO to something like 800, where the noise is less intense. Still, 1600 is pretty good for small prints directly from the camera and is much better than missing the shot.

4) For manual mode, you should dial in -1/3EV for sure. You might consider -2/3, but that's to taste. It helps you avoid blown highlights. For contrasty scenes, where the camera is sure to blow highlights, you will want to shoot in manual with -EV. I think most people consider M mode to be their normal shooting mode.

5) When shooting at high ISO without flash, don't forget that you need to brace the camera well. I have successfully hand held many shots at 1/10s or even 1/6s. But you need to brace to get a high percentage of shots in dim light. Hugo is the master at this ... he carries a mini-tripod everywhere and uses it to brace against whatever is handy.

Most important ... shoot lots.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Nikon D600 Nikon D90 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +15 more
Robert McGovern Junior Member • Posts: 39

GAREB wrote:

The Internet is full of links on photography tips, just yesterday
there was a link for Fuji Links, on that web page you can find
links for all the photography tips and instructions for just about
every Fuji digital camera made. There also is a link to a very
good site on that page to download some great digital photography
books and photoshop and other post processing books. Look at that
web page and you'll find everything you need I think. It has
helped me a lot.
JD

Can you remeber the thread at all?

Rob

Pitfall New Member • Posts: 22

http://www.tdavids.dds.nl/fujilinks

Here is the link to Fujilinks...hope you find the information you need. I would personally like to see some of our more knowledgeble members create "sticky" threads (like they have in other forum sites) with their pearls of wisdom assembled in one place for the more popular Fuji models...F10/F11, 900, S9000/9500...those that generate the greatest number of questions. The forum is very active now and it is very time-consuming to wade through pages and pages of posts to find the goodies.

Sel, I'd love to nominate you to head up the 9000 sticky; you've been very helpful to me and other newcomers as we struggle to not only "learn" the idiosyncracies of the 9K, but also beginning photography as well. I'm certain that there are plenty of others out there in each camp that have a lot to offer as well.

Give them some encouragement, Fuji fans!!!!!

Got my fingers crossed!
Pitfall

OP oldbutdumb New Member • Posts: 15
Re:Your Links

Thanks for your reply. But you never said WHAT link/links you are refering to. If you would please post them I'd be most grateful
--
oldbutdumb

OP oldbutdumb New Member • Posts: 15

Thanks for the info. I was remembering those kinds of helps from other threads. This time I printed your list.
--
oldbutdumb

Russ Yost Senior Member • Posts: 1,534

Don't be afraid to try some of the Auto settings. I mostly do indoor portraits of my grandkids and use SP-Natural all the time. The -2/3EV recommendation has a negative effect of underexposing all your shots, increasing noise and lengthening shutter times, chancing handshake blur, etc. I say, let the nighlights blow! Who cares? They're usually not important to the picture.

Look at the left-hand image in

http://www.pbase.com/russ/jpg_compare

Don't be put off by the topic of the gallery. Click on the left hand image to see it in original size, and check the pencil marks on the paper, where blown highlights (47000 pixels blown out of 6,000,000, per post processing histogram). probably exist.

This is a typical case of blown highlights that, IMHO, don't matter!
--
Russell

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads