Fluorescent color correction

Started Jan 5, 2006 | Discussions
Jay325 New Member • Posts: 4
Fluorescent color correction

I was asked to take some pictures at a small event gathering. It was an educational-type meeting. The lighting was mostly fluorescent.

These are just 3 samples and I can't figure out what settings are best to use in photoshop to make the colors appear more real and pop more. I tried levels, curves, photo filters, channel mixing, etc but I am not completely happy with the results I get.

The camera was a D2Hs. The first pic was with the 50 1.8/D, the second and third were with the 70-200VR. I manually set white balance to 2800k. These are the orignal files downsized to 1024 max height or width with '7' jpeg compression in photoshop. ISO 800, available light only.

Any information on how to properly correct off-coloring of these pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

GCam Veteran Member • Posts: 9,140
Re: Fluorescent color correction

duped layer> selected area of white on left shoulder of man in white sweater> edit> fill> image, adjustments, invert> select color dodge blending mode. Flatten dupe layer> run contrast mask, then layer mask to paint in areas I did not want changed. Layer> new layer> screen mode at 50 > selected color of nose of man in white sweater> painted his face with 30% flow and opacity. flattened.

curves adj layer

contrast mask> selective color layer

cspringer Forum Pro • Posts: 19,632
Levels, selective color, hue/saturation...(imgs)

Open all 3 pictures.
Make a Levels Adjustment layer

Click the grey on the girl's jacket with Levels/middle eyedropper. I got input middle box RED .97/Green .95/Blue 1.08 (you can a type these in if you like my edit).

Make a Selective Color adjustment layer
YELLOW/yellow -17

Make a hue/sat. adjustment layer
Master/Saturation +9
Yellow/-7

Move the adjustment layers to the other two pictures.

I could have done the adjustments in either Hue/Sat. or Selective Color but I ended up using both. You might find other settings you like more. I didn't try to make them look photoshopped but you might want more pop.

Jay325 wrote:

I was asked to take some pictures at a small event gathering. It
was an educational-type meeting. The lighting was mostly
fluorescent.

These are just 3 samples and I can't figure out what settings are
best to use in photoshop to make the colors appear more real and
pop more. I tried levels, curves, photo filters, channel mixing,
etc but I am not completely happy with the results I get.

The camera was a D2Hs. The first pic was with the 50 1.8/D, the
second and third were with the 70-200VR. I manually set white
balance to 2800k. These are the orignal files downsized to 1024 max
height or width with '7' jpeg compression in photoshop. ISO 800,
available light only.

Any information on how to properly correct off-coloring of these
pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

OP Jay325 New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Levels, selective color, hue/saturation...(imgs)

Fast response and great info!
Thanks !

megl Regular Member • Posts: 255
Re: curves adj layer

That works really great! Is it two seperate layers or do you use the mask in the selective color layer?

GCam wrote:

Re: curves adj layer

megl wrote:
That works really great! Is it two seperate layers or do you use
the mask in the selective color layer?

GCam wrote:

Separate layers. I always flatten before or after a contrast mask. Just a personal preference.

cspringer Forum Pro • Posts: 19,632
Re: Levels, selective color, hue/saturation...(imgs)

There are lots of ways...color balance, curves, Levels, average color, etc....whatever way you do it, you just need to drag your edits to the other pictures to fix them automatically.

Jay325 wrote:

Fast response and great info!
Thanks !

GGB Senior Member • Posts: 1,526
Using Levels adj layer ...

Jay325 wrote:

I was asked to take some pictures at a small event gathering. It
was an educational-type meeting. The lighting was mostly
fluorescent.

These are just 3 samples and I can't figure out what settings are
best to use in photoshop to make the colors appear more real and
pop more. I tried levels, curves, photo filters, channel mixing,
etc but I am not completely happy with the results I get.

The camera was a D2Hs. The first pic was with the 50 1.8/D, the
second and third were with the 70-200VR. I manually set white
balance to 2800k. These are the orignal files downsized to 1024 max
height or width with '7' jpeg compression in photoshop. ISO 800,
available light only.

Any information on how to properly correct off-coloring of these
pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jay

.. after combing all three shots for this purpose and then identifying the highlight, shadow and grey points via threshold adjustment layers ..

• set the highlight dropper as per #1

• the shadows dropper as per #2

• the grey dropper as per #3

• and moved the upper middle slider to the left to increase brightness

HTH

-- hide signature --

GGB

pBase Supporter
NAPP member
http://www.pbase.com/pictek

'If everyone had their priorities in the right order, there be a shortage of fishing poles.'

SBriggs Contributing Member • Posts: 837

Image> Adjustmenst> Match Color--Neutralize

-- hide signature --

Sam

chuxter Forum Pro • Posts: 21,714

You have some good replies. There must be hundreds of ways to do this. I chose to do it a different way, as I only have PSE4.

I used the new Enhance => Adjust Color => Adjust Color for Skin Tone feature on images 2 & 3 (the 2 pix on the right in the composite). For image #1, I also lightened the shadows 20%.

-- hide signature --

Charlie Davis
CATS #25
PAS Scribe @ http://www.here-ugo.com/PAS_List.htm
HomePage: http://www.1derful.info
'I brake for pixels...'

chuxter's gear list:chuxter's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro (F004) Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +2 more
jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,862
Color correction by the numbers

IMO, there are two secrets to color correction. Once you understand them, you can fix anything.

1) Learn how to pick sample points from your picture that should be a known color, preferably neutral.

2) Learn how to adjust curves to make the sample points conform to the colors they should be.

In this photo, I'm looking for sample points in the photo that "should" be a neutral color (equal parts R,G and B). There are lots of things that might be white in this photo. The man's white sweater, the paper on the desk, the flipchart in the background. I decide that I'm not sure that the man's white sweater really is white. It could be a cream color. But, I'm pretty sure that the paper on the desk is white and I'm pretty sure that the badge that the man in the white sweater is wearing should be on a white card. The paper on the desk is pretty bright. The badge (because it's shaded from the lights) is a mid-tone gray. That's good, it gives us a couple of different tonal points already that should be neutral.

Now, I'd like something dark that should be neutral. The two best candidates I have for black are the woman's hair and the man on the right's glass frame. I set two more sample points on those.

Now we have four sample points, all of which should be neutral, none of which are.

First, I look at the paper on the desk. It's RGB is 230,249,229. The other white point on the badge is 150,165,134. So, I can either boost the Red and Blue or bring the Green down to make all three values for each white sample point match up. When I look at the two black sample points, they are 10,9,5 and 16,16,10. Both of them are low in blue. I decide that I'll start with the one thing that everyone needs first, add some blue.

I create a curve adjustment layer and switch to the blue channel. Since I know that the bright paper on the desk needs blue and it's a pretty bright tone, I can figure that I won't be able to fix the blue by just changing the shape of the curve. I'll have to move the endpoint. I move the endpoint until the blue on the brightest sample point matches the Green value. When I've done that, I find that the badge still needs a little more blue for it to be neutral. Since I can't move the endpoint anymore without making the paper too blue, I need to pull the middle of the curve up a bit to change just the mid-tones, not the bright paper. Now, I've got the two white sample points at 230,249,251 and 150,165,168. The Green and Blue values are nearly identical (anything within 3-5 points is considered fine) in both points.

That results in this blue curve:

Now, we need to make the red match up too. It's low in both white points. So, we repeat the process for the red. I pull the end of the red channel curve to the left until the white paper point balances. When I do that, the badge point also matches. I won't need any additional mid-tone corrections here. Now, I've got 248,249,251 and 162,165,168. I'm happy with both of these and the picture looks more like normal lighting.

Here's the red curve:

Now, I look at the two darker sample points I've got. They now show as 11,9,7 and 17,16,13. Both of these are plenty close enough that it doesn't look like I need any further color adjustments.

So, we started with this image:

and after color correction, I have this image:

In looking at the image, I decide that I'd like to be able to see more of the faces and possibly more detail in the papers on the desk. The faces are pretty dark and the papers pretty bright. I combine a small shadow/highlights move with a small curve on the lower tones and a little sharpening to get this image:

Hope this was useful to those of you learning color correction.

-- hide signature --

John
Gallery: http://jfriend.smugmug.com/portfolio

Smugmug discount coupon '3elo1xh75JSiI' to save $5

Re: Color correction by the numbers

Agree the sampler is better way to go. I use the color dodge method for quick fixes. This was done with the sampler method, but I left the background darker to emphasize the sugjects. I sampled his sweater on left shoulder and the margin of the paper to the left of her hand. Black sample was taken from both sides of her hair. gc

Tom Bennett Veteran Member • Posts: 4,284
Re: filter layer

try blank layer> fill with light violet magenta color> set mode to softlight and adjust fill
'Same as having a flor. filter on camera
tried it at 54% on my monitor and got good results

key5000 Contributing Member • Posts: 558

John, thanks for the step-by-step instruction on how to use curve. I have learned a lot from this and I think this method is produce the output much better than level adjument.

Again, thanks a lot John.

-- hide signature --

Regard,
KEY

http://www.pbase.com/key50001
------------------------------------------------
Fuji S2; Nikon F5
Nikon 24-120VR; Tamron 28-75 ; Nikon 80-200 ; SB-28

NW_RICK Regular Member • Posts: 418
Phot Filter

Used photo filter adjustment layer. Levels adjustment layer.

Rick

jfriend00 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,862

key5000 wrote:

John, thanks for the step-by-step instruction on how to use curve.
I have learned a lot from this and I think this method is produce
the output much better than level adjument.

Again, thanks a lot John.

Your welcome. Glad it was useful.

-- hide signature --
key5000 Contributing Member • Posts: 558

John, I forgot to ask you: what about the back point, could you please give me the steps instruction on how to adjust the back point using c
curve?

Just take a look on your profile, I love all the shot in your landscape folder, especially those at Yosemitee, that is one of my favorite place

-- hide signature --

Regard,
KEY

http://www.pbase.com/key50001
------------------------------------------------
Fuji S2; Nikon F5
Nikon 24-120VR; Tamron 28-75 ; Nikon 80-200 ; SB-28

Vec New Member • Posts: 21
Comparision

Levels 1 - Blending mode: Normal
RGB:
Input: 0 1,45 240
Output: 10 245

Levels 2 - Blending mode: Color
Green:
Input: 0 0,85 255
Blue:
Input: 5 1,00 255

Left and right
Levels 1 - Blending mode: Color
Green
Input: 0 0,9 255

Selective Color 1 - Blending mode: Color
Reds
-Magenta +10

Yellows
-Magenta +10

To all 3 images:
Hue/Saturation 1 - Blending mode: Color
Master
Saturation +10

suddie1215 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,818

First, thanks for posting these images. Its not very often that we see images of African-Americans in this forum and in my opinion retouching and color correction of our skin tones is different than for the wider population.

Here's my try; I only did the first image...how did I do?

My correction appears oversharpened and a bit noisy when linked to the forum but doesn't look that way on my screen.

suddie1215's gear list:suddie1215's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads