Samsung launches a new DSLR GX-1

Started Dec 20, 2005 | Discussions
Raxel Regular Member • Posts: 407
Samsung launches a new DSLR GX-1

http://www01.fengniao.com/product/article/1/33/6421.htm

Basically a re-branded *istDL.(Pentax mount) However they are promising a higher spec model next september.

Now dslr war is getting more interesting..

Nikon-Zeiss, Sony-KM, Samsung-Pentax, Olympus-Panasonic fight against big dinosaur canon?

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 10,159
lens mount?

The lens in the images is a Schneider. Is that on a Pentax lens mount or is Samsung going to go with a new mount and lens line in order to differentiate from the Pentax dslr?
--
M.Polanic

paulbod3 Contributing Member • Posts: 630
Re: lens mount?

Pentax Samsung Schneider ??

Konica Minolta Sony Zeiss ??

Olympus Panasonic Leitz ??

Sigma Foveon cameras in various mounts ??

Erik37 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,558
Good for Pentax ... so far

This means they get to sell a lot of "*istDL's" on the Korean
market, which will have a strong preference for Samsung.
So far a good deal for them.

What happens in a longer perspective is another question.

Just my two öre
Erik from Sweden, F Z 5 owner

Dennet Regular Member • Posts: 188
Re: KAF2...

It looks just like the Pentax DA18-55, right up to the little door in the bottom of the lens hood for circular filters...

misha Forum Pro • Posts: 18,768
Re: Samsung launches a new DSLR GX-1

Raxel wrote:

Basically a re-branded *istDL.(Pentax mount) However they are
promising a higher spec model next september.

If Samsung has not done much in the compact digicam area, where it has a lot of experience and technology in film zoom compacts, why would it succeed in DSLRs, where its experience so far is nonexistent?
--
Misha

Lotus M50 Regular Member • Posts: 215
Re: sorry, there is no "Nikon-Zeiss" collaboration

Sorry. There is not Nikon-Zeiss cooperation on anything. Zeiss just decided -- without Nikon input -- to make some manual focus lenses in the old Nikon F lens mount. that's it. No collaboration. No Nikon-Zeiss partnership. Nothing. The manual focus "ZF" lenses that Zeiss is going to make is more of an annoyance to Nikon than anything else.

Raxel wrote:

Nikon-Zeiss, Sony-KM, Samsung-Pentax, Olympus-Panasonic fight
against big dinosaur canon?

BJN
BJN Veteran Member • Posts: 5,116
At least it's not Sears Craftsman

It sounds like Pentax still has no pride. USA retailer Sears used to sell Asahi (Asahi-Pentax) screwmount lens Spotmatic bodies bearing the Sears brand.

I don't think this kind of brand dilution is a wise strategy, but perhaps Pentax has poor distribution and hopes that Samsung will increase retail channels.

-- hide signature --

BJN

BJN's gear list:BJN's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
mrfitz Senior Member • Posts: 2,444

misha wrote:

Raxel wrote:

If Samsung has not done much in the compact digicam area, where it
has a lot of experience and technology in film zoom compacts, why
would it succeed in DSLRs, where its experience so far is
nonexistent?
--
Misha

Samsung is a massive company, they already the memory market sewn up( almost), monitors, hard drives, they also have a dedicated optical and camera division...cameras are electronics....there is no reason to doubt they can pull it off

Stephen DeNagy Regular Member • Posts: 282

Big dinosaur Canon?

Dinosaurs are extinct. I don't see that for Canon anytime soon. Their strength in in-house production of all critical elements is a huge advantage. And although we all hate it, their strategies for the EF mount have been profitable for them.

I also don't think we have seen the floor of the price wars. Canon probably has a strong edge in terms of margin for the long haul. Not to mention product diversity (e.g., copiers, computers, printers, etc.) vs. Nikon's fairly traditional optical company's markets. Canon's oxygen tanks may be larger.

In that regard, Pentax and Konica/Minolta are particularly vulnerable. Mount issues and their fragility are reasons I wouldn't buy into their systems. But, then again, when Canon changed mounts there went a raft of lenses down the drain.

Now, the Nikon dSLR side is becoming MUCH more interesting of late...perhaps Canon has a little catch up in details...

-- hide signature --

Steve

VincentJ Senior Member • Posts: 2,262
Is this for real?

Some article appears on some site, and it's considered the truth? Guys, please don't jump the gun. Let's get confirmation from some reliable source first.

PhotoTraveler Forum Pro • Posts: 11,700

Whats wrong with KM now?

They can't make enough cameras or lenses to keep up with demand, and sony is going to be selling a DSLR using the minolta mount next year?

Anastigmat Forum Pro • Posts: 12,686

misha wrote:

Raxel wrote:

nonexistent?
--
Misha

Samsung is basically selling very good cameras (Pentax DSLRs) and giving these cameras something they have been lacking: a marketing budget. The *ist D is a much better camera than the Nikon D70. The Pentax has a pentaprism, film based TTL flash and freedom from moire; the Nikon has a pentamirror, i-TTL which makes people blink during picture taking and problems with moire because it has no anti-alias filter. Yet there will be far more used D70 bodies on eBay in the coming years than *ist D bodies, although the Pentax bodies will fetch more.

OP Raxel Regular Member • Posts: 407
Re: Is this for real?

Samsung officially announced months ago that they will launach a pentax-mount, samsung-branded DSLR in january 2006.

DoubleGauss Regular Member • Posts: 190
Nikon-Zeiss won't fly

Zeiss is trying to muscle its way in and trying to use its own brand name and the popularity of Nikon DSLRs to sell some ancient manual focus lenses. Image qualitywise I expect the Zeiss lenses to be theoretically a little better on paper, but more expensive, slow (3.5-4.5), bulky and primitive.

I am sure Zeiss is following these fora (plural of forum) and out of embarrasment have gone back to the drawing board to rethink the designs and price tags.

Lotus M50 wrote:
Sorry. There is not Nikon-Zeiss cooperation on anything. Zeiss
just decided -- without Nikon input -- to make some manual focus
lenses in the old Nikon F lens mount. that's it. No
collaboration. No Nikon-Zeiss partnership. Nothing. The manual
focus "ZF" lenses that Zeiss is going to make is more of an
annoyance to Nikon than anything else.

Raxel wrote:

Nikon-Zeiss, Sony-KM, Samsung-Pentax, Olympus-Panasonic fight
against big dinosaur canon?

Paul D Contributing Member • Posts: 718
Which model?

Anastigmat wrote:

Samsung is basically selling very good cameras (Pentax DSLRs) and
giving these cameras something they have been lacking: a marketing
budget. The *ist D is a much better camera than the Nikon D70.
The Pentax has a pentaprism,

From the sidelines I get confused by the various *ists. So do you it seems, isn't the Samsung based on the *ist DL pentamirror camera?

I did get the idea that some DS? models had write problems during continuous record, maybe Samsung could sort the electronics.

Greg Lovern Senior Member • Posts: 1,612
Sears Tower 22 - 29, 1954 - 1959

BJN wrote:

It sounds like Pentax still has no pride. USA retailer Sears used
to sell Asahi (Asahi-Pentax) screwmount lens Spotmatic bodies
bearing the Sears brand.

No, Sears sold the Asahiflex 1A through the Pentax and other 1950's pentaprism models, rebadged as "Tower" brand, with model names "22" through "29". Spotmatic models were not rebadged as Tower or Sears.

This happened half a century ago, from 1954 - 1959.

I don't know whether Pentax "has no pride", but it seems certain forum members take no pride in checking their facts before indulging their eagerness to bash certain brands.

Greg

BJL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342
images could still be a hoax, and seem to be gone now

Raxel wrote:

Samsung officially announced months ago that they will launach a pentax-mount, samsung-branded DSLR in january 2006.

Still, the images on this web page could well be a hoax. That could explain the weirdness of the lens being labeled Schneider instead of Pentax.

And the Samsung DSLR stuff seems to have vanished from that page.

BJL's gear list:BJL's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
mjjglasgow Contributing Member • Posts: 538

I don't understand that post - to clarify are you saying that KM are vulnerable because unlike Canon they just do cameras and optics and therefore have their fingers in fewer pies? Because given that KM do office equipment, copiers, printers, medical equipment etc they are a lot more than just a camera firm. In fact I believe (and if someone has figures to prove me wrong then fair enough) that they are a much bigger company than Nikon are overall despite having a smaller presence in the camera market. Their overall turnover seems to be several times bigger than Nikon's (though I'm no accountant I freely admit so I maybe misinterpreting the data).

mpixel Veteran Member • Posts: 5,779

Anastigmat wrote:

misha wrote:

Raxel wrote:

nonexistent?
--
Misha

Samsung is basically selling very good cameras (Pentax DSLRs) and
giving these cameras something they have been lacking: a marketing
budget. The *ist D is a much better camera than the Nikon D70.
The Pentax has a pentaprism, film based TTL flash and freedom from
moire; the Nikon has a pentamirror, i-TTL which makes people blink
during picture taking and problems with moire because it has no
anti-alias filter. Yet there will be far more used D70 bodies on
eBay in the coming years than *ist D bodies, although the Pentax
bodies will fetch more.

The *ist D was designed to compete with the Nikon D100 and the Canon 10D. The *ist DS was designed to compete with the D70 and the 300D.

-- hide signature --

GMT

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads