Canon Canada repair story

Started Dec 18, 2005 | Discussions
Robert Drake Junior Member • Posts: 41
Canon Canada repair story

Just want to offer a warning for those thinking they're going to send their lenses off to Canon to check over and it will be smooth sailing.

I sent my "L" lens, still under warranty, to their Calgary service centre so they could have a look at it (soft focus). Called them when tracking said it arrived and they informed me it would take them a week to have a look at it. Three weeks passed without getting a callback, so I called and ended up leaving a message. No one returned my call after a couple days, so I tried again. Same thing. I did this daily for nearly two weeks. I'd call, end up leaving a message because I'm told no one can take my call.

Frustrated, I fax a letter off the the President of Canon Canada outlining my efforts to get information on when they'd look at my lens. A half hour after doing this, I get a message from Calgary saying they have my lens and would "rush" the "repair".

A week after this message, I get another message from Calgary saying they'd lost the lens (why they didn't replay to my messages??) and they have no replacements available for me. So, they offer me a refund of my purchase price (I bought it during a once a year Canon sale at Henrys). I fax off my receipt, and a letter stating that my purchase price wouldn't cover replacement costs or the expenses I've been through in dealing with them.

A week goes by and I get a cheque covering the purchase price, nothing else, not even an apology. I write to the assistant to the President of Canon saying this isn't very satisfactory and now two weeks later, no reply from her either.

I've posted my experience in other photography forums, and have gotten many replies from others who've experienced much the same level of service.

Canon makes great stuff, I own lots of their products, but good luck dealing with them if anything goes wrong.

LPG Contributing Member • Posts: 947
You were VERY patient .

Is Canon so much ahead of its competition ? With those big foreign manufacturers, the only language they understand are $$$$$$'s . What are your alternatives ? which L was it ?

LPG

dcamera Regular Member • Posts: 182
Re: Canon Canada repair story

I am afraid that this is the service to be expected out of Canon Calgary. It is simply awful. I dropped off a lens for a repair estimate. After two weeks (not to repair, but just to give an estimate on the repair) I still hadn't heard from them. I phoned to get an update, and was told it was with the technician now. A week later, I phoned again, and was given the same reply - the technician is looking at it now. Yeah, right.

I would offer the same warning. Do NOT take your lens to Canon Calgary, unless you are willing to wait a very long time.

OP Robert Drake Junior Member • Posts: 41
Re: Canon Canada repair story

From what I've heard in other forums, the other CDN repair facilities aren't that much better, Montreal being the best.

Re: You were VERY patient .

LPG wrote:

Is Canon so much ahead of its competition ? With those big
foreign manufacturers, the only language they understand are
$$$$$$'s . What are your alternatives ?

LPG

Except for warning others, not much.

Orka Regular Member • Posts: 204
even worse than in IL, i'm amazed

i thought canons authorised israel lab is bad. after your story they would compete quite nicely :-/

actually didn't think that such an awful service is available from canon canada...

Re: even worse than in IL, i'm amazed

Orka wrote:

i thought canons authorised israel lab is bad. after your story
they would compete quite nicely :-/
actually didn't think that such an awful service is available from
canon canada...

I'm apparantly not an isolated case in Canada, given the feedback I've gotten in other forums. The Calgary facility being the worst of the lot.

James C. Murray Senior Member • Posts: 2,080
Re: I agree, Canon Calgary is V.poor.

I agree with the OP. My experience with Canon Calgary was plain frustrating. A quite rude individual on the phone with a take it or leave attitude and a very long time to turn the lens around (a 70-200 F/4 focussing problem), 4 weeks seems like a long time to me.

I wonder if Canon Calgary actually have much experience with the photo products? Rude treatment and slow service make me reluctant to send anything to Calgary again.

James C. Murray's gear list:James C. Murray's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
teglis Regular Member • Posts: 406
Guess my luck was better...

The lens release button came off my 20D. So, in early September I went to my local Henry's (Ottawa) and talked to them about getting it fixed. They said that it was taking two months for Canon repairs. Not wanting to be without a camera that long, I decided not to send it in right away (could still change lenses by pressing the exposed metal tabwith my finger nai)l.

About a month later, after getting a 5D, I sent the camera off to Canon Toronto, along with the battery grop and asked them to do four things:

• Fix lens release button

• Do the standard battery grip repair

• Clean the sensor

• Clean the mirror and housing

After about three weeks with out hearing anything, I sent a polite e-mail asking about the status. With no response to that, I sent a few progressively more assertive e-mails over the next week. Then they called and left a message. Claimed they were missing a part for the battery grip. I called the number they left and told them to send back the camera immediately and the battery grip whenever they got the part. Two days later, camera and battery grip arrived. The lens release button was fixed. The mirror and housing were obviously cleaner. After taking some pictures, it was obvious they had cleaned the sensor. And, it appears they fixed the battery grip as well.

There was no charge (the warranty expired about the time I got my camera back). I was pleased that it took only half as long as Henry's indicated, and that they did everything asked for without even trying to charge me. I was not happy with how difficult it was to get status out of them.

Overall, it was a positive experience, though. Perhaps my expectations were too low.

-- hide signature --

• Rich

teglis's gear list:teglis's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.5 1-5x Macro +8 more
LPG Contributing Member • Posts: 947
Re: Guess my luck was better...

' Overall, it was a positive experience, though. Perhaps my expectations were too low. '

With all due respect, I do not find your experience positive at all. I used Canon's repair facility in Montreal for work on a G1 digicam. I have to say the service was quite fast. I elected to pick up the camera myself to save time.

LPG

Orka Regular Member • Posts: 204
Re: I agree, Canon Calgary is V.poor.

IL lab isn't slow at all. they did the work very fast (several days at most), but how they did the work ... finally the camera came back to them 4 times till all the troubles they made while fixing were finally removed. once after 1st test shot in the lab i felt that something is wrong. they excepted that AF calibration was way way way from where it was when i gave the the camera. QA was not the strongest side :-/

Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 22,283

Now you have me worried. I have a 20D and purchased a 300L. I did not think that the lens was as sharp as it should be. Two guys where I bought my lens tested it for a week with another 20D and a film camera. I aslo took it to a local camera repair store. I even ran into the Canon rep and he put the lens on a store camera and mine . Everyone thinks it's the camera. Back or front focusing. The Canon rep said Calgary was backed up and we should send it to Toronto. Now I know why. I'll insist it goes to Toronto. Anyone with any Toronto horror stories?

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more

That Canon would let things get this bad isn't encouraging for any of their repair centres.

steve szenkovics Contributing Member • Posts: 797
storry from Toronto service

I took my D60 in for servicing. The rear color LCD showed a greenish tint on all my images. It was very obviouse - when I took a shot of snow outside and on the LCD was greenish even though the picture was fine.

Anycase the girl agreed and took my order. While I was waiting the fellow beside was picking up his XT from repair. He was very upset and starting telling me his storry. As we chatted his camera was brought out and he started testing it right away. Next thing I know he started screaming from being so upset and gave the camera back. Then he said I need a witness and handed me the camere and asked to look through the view finder. haha ok so I get it I look through and sure enough I understood why he was angry. There was a big curly hair stuck on the inside of the view finder. I mean it was huge.

He also tested the initial problem where the Xt would lock up when flash and P mode was used. Sure enough the camere froze as he tested it.

He bought it new - had the camere in service for 6 weeks and it still wasnt fixed.

I received a phone call 2 weeks later stating that they couldnt find anything wrong with my D60 camera and they cleaned it, checked it and it was all at no charge. When I picked it up I asked for a service technician and showed him how the snow was green on my LCD. He agreed it was strangebut didnt offer a solution. I asked about color calibration on LCD's or just replaced the LCD. Then I thought about the other fellow and said thank you for the free cleaning and checkup and walked out.

Regards,

Steve ( Toronto)

Zee Char wrote:

Now you have me worried. I have a 20D and purchased a 300L. I did
not think that the lens was as sharp as it should be. Two guys
where I bought my lens tested it for a week with another 20D and a
film camera. I aslo took it to a local camera repair store. I even
ran into the Canon rep and he put the lens on a store camera and
mine . Everyone thinks it's the camera. Back or front focusing.
The Canon rep said Calgary was backed up and we should send it to
Toronto. Now I know why. I'll insist it goes to Toronto. Anyone
with any Toronto horror stories?

Re: storry from Toronto service

I don't know what to do. I consider these some of my sharpest shots, however I think the 20D and the 300L could do better. One is full crop and the other I cropped (i'm not sure to what). Both are un-edited. What do you think? Just let it go or for what I spent on this gear is it worth it to continue to pursue the issue?

Canon EOS R Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Look great to me (nt)

Those shots look very sharp to me. Don't give yourself the aggrevation of dealing with Canon. IMO, if you don't like it, you should just sell it and get something else.

Re: Look great to me (nt)

Thanks for your response. I'm definately not going to rush in on this.

Tim Wright Contributing Member • Posts: 658
Bit better luck

I took my 100-400 L lens to the Montreal center for soft focus on my 10D. They checked it and told me it was within spec. A few months later I bought a 1DMKII and had the same problem. This time I took a whole series of test shots and took them some prints and a CD full of test shots. A week later they called and said they were replaceing it with a new lens.

Re: Bit better luck

Could use some recommendations for a replacement lens for my 20d. I could go with a wide prime or zoom. Still considering dropping Canon altogether and going Nikon, since at some point, I'd likely have to deal with Canon repair again.

Moto Guzzi Senior Member • Posts: 1,703
This makes one think...

Seeing they got products well engineered, but poorly assembled and passed quality control, this is a real pity.

I think by now there top brass should have gotton the message, but it may take a couple of years to solve...I may be dead by then...

-- hide signature --

I hate dodgy deals with a passion, and pursue them till the end.
Sell me a good thing, and I'll be as quiet as a baby with a dummy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads