Before "what lens to get"

Started Dec 17, 2005 | Discussions
OP balloonchasers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189
Re: Before "what lens to get"

Once again I have to say "thank you" to the postive comments!

I am still humbled every time this thread makes it back to the front page...

Remember to always have fun!

John

-- hide signature --

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c If you find any extra letters, please place them here for future use...

ArizonaOkie New Member • Posts: 12

I have never seen this list before, so thanks for bumping it up to the top. I wish I had seen this when I first got my Xti in Dec. '06. I have printed it out and am going to use this with the lens that I have bought because I think it will give me a better understanding of what each lens is capable of. I have learned thru trial and error, that I like taking pictures in wide angle (my next lens will be an uwa) and I have very little use for anything beyond the 100mm range. Thanks John!!

dooboy2112 Junior Member • Posts: 37
-- hide signature --

This is a good list of things to do with your camera.

Mikael in Denmark Junior Member • Posts: 41
What a brilliant post

Thanks for taking the time to type all this.

Cheers,

Mikael

Foxtrot Oscar Regular Member • Posts: 109
Re: What a brilliant post

This should be in a compulsory reading forum.

I thank the flying spaghetti monster that you took the time to write this thread.

Ramen.

Fox

Jaims Senior Member • Posts: 2,075
Awesome post...

...and thanks for it (almost a year since you wrote it down!)

Jaims's gear list:Jaims's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +9 more
idesignstuff Regular Member • Posts: 242

31 chapters of Proverbs. 31 nuggets of wisdom.
--
Christian

MarkinMaryland Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: Awesome post...

I agree with this post for the most part, but after a week, I knew I needed a zoom lens or I would not enjoy the camera. My old point and shoot had a zoom that was twice as far as the kit lens. I cursed Canon everytime I wanted to zoom in on something 5' away. I went out after the first week and ordered the Canon 70-200 4L and have been happy ever since. I have just now ordered the Canon 10-22 and am very happy with it as it fixes the new problems I have with the kit lens, the weak wide angle. I just took my 10,000 shot last month and I think I will stick with my three lenses for awhile. So yes I agree that you need to take pictures before you figure out what you need, but I do not want my wife to think that it will take me a year to realize what lens I need. I was one of the people who on many times asked people what lens to buy as there are many telephoto and wide angle lenses to buy. I am very happy with the peoples choices.
--
Mark

iancrowe Senior Member • Posts: 1,477

I think this needs reviving for a new generation

SimpleKindaEye
SimpleKindaEye Regular Member • Posts: 236

Great info here and one that is needed when a new camera is purchased.
THANK YOU!
Will keep this handy.

SimpleKindaEye's gear list:SimpleKindaEye's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +5 more
rsn48 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,755
I'd like to add, pop up flash...

The pop up flash is one of the best features on your camera, it is the least understood and the least used of features. People will often decide they need flash, go out and purchase a humongous multi-featured flash which then intimidates them and it ends up sitting unused in the bag.

Learn how to use flash compensation (FC) and exposure compensation (EC) with fill flash; I can guarantee you 99 % don't know how to do this. An incredible number of photogs don't even know how to turn on fill flash.

Purchase a cheap pop up flash diffuser. Remember fill flash is well, fill; the camera is relying on ambient light, the available light, to help with the exposure so the fill, already one or two stops down from full flash is supplementing light, not providing all of it.

Many dull and boring pics could have been saved using fill flash. Many pics outside in the bright sun of folks with hats on could have been saved with fill flash. Many pics of people at sunset could have been saved with fill flash.

YouTube is your friend with fill flash, some good tutorials there - learn how to use. Don't get the big complex flash that everyone and their dog here is going to tell you acquire until you fully understand what you are doing with the lowly pop up, often all you really need.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is, indeed, an inclusive language."
Ansel Adams

OP balloonchasers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189
Re: I'd like to add, pop up flash...

See # 23.....

Thanks as always for bringing this back to life.

Glad it is still helpful after all these years....

John
--

Feel free to use any of these additional letters to correct the spelling of words found in the above post: a-e-t-n-d-i-o-s-m-l-u-y-h-c If you find any extra letters, please place them here for future use...

gaiaswill Forum Member • Posts: 78
Lack of pop up is my convenient truth

... to avoid buying a full frame body.

And this post does indeed belong up top. I'm now thinking I should start an album just for kit lens shots.

rsn48 wrote:

The pop up flash is one of the best features on your camera, it is the least understood and the least used of features.

gaiaswill's gear list:gaiaswill's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS15 Canon EOS 450D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads