Before "what lens to get"

Started Dec 17, 2005 | Discussions
Jakita Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: Before "what lens to get"

My XT came 2 days ago and I have been around the house trying every button and setting on the camera that I could. I have taken pictures at all the f-stops, using different focus points, iso's and playing with shutter speed. I have even done some bracketing! Let's not forget white balance and B&W shots while you are at it. I owned a film SLR for 10 years and never tried a thing because it would cost too much. With the XT it is fun to try everything, although I admit I am a little overwhelmed! I read a million posts on here about different lens but in the end decided to stick with the kit lens and the 50 mm for $70. I figure as time goes on I will be better able to judge what my true needs are. OK - back to my owners manual and the XT field guide.

jiayaw Veteran Member • Posts: 3,443
I have done all these with my Powershot A80 and

thats why I want a DSLR.... just have to wait until they are cheaper until I can buy one since I am a student with not much money.
--

http://www.a80.fotopic.net
http://www.elan7e.fotopic.net
Yoko Dam

dennis tennis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,783
No, first buy every L glass available, open them up and then do what you suggest (nt)
-- hide signature --

if I made sense, I'm sorry

OP balloonchasers Veteran Member • Posts: 3,189
Re: Before

I would like to thank everyone who commented on my original thread. I have visited the on-line galleries for all those who have them listed. Each of you possesses the eye of an artist. You have the ability that I know that I sometimes lack, to see an image and how to convey a feeling before you even raise the camera to your eye.

I realize this forum is designated for owners of Rebels so it is centered on the equipment aspect. My reason for the original post was to remind us that the equipment is only one small part of photography. Look at some of the images in the CTF Mini Challenge. All are excellent images that demonstrate what someone can do with the Rebel. It really doesn’t matter what type of lens was used, the hard part was seeing the image before the camera was even turned on or removed from the bag. This is what we should challenge first time buyers of a dslr to upgrade.

This post was my simple attempt to do that. Good luck and may all your images stir emotions that last a lifetime

jennyc New Member • Posts: 12
My samples! Thoughts?

This is awesome, thank you!

I was so inspired by this thread that I created a gallery to log my progress with this list.

I just bought the 50mm/1.8f, which I love (it's exhilirating driving the high-performance luxury car) but I definitely want to maximize my capabilities with the kit lens too (the economy all-purpose car).

This is my gallery of your exercises, it's not complete by far, and will be added to as I go along. I thought this would be a fun way of documenting my progress.
http://jennyc.smugmug.com/gallery/1052357

Comments, critiques, suggestions are welcome but keep in mind... I'm a beginner photographer, with a beginner set-up, and beginner photoshop skills.

Jenny

-- hide signature --
Re: My samples! Thoughts?

Jenny, Thanks for taking the challenge. Your images are outstanding! You can cross off "make someone laugh" after I saw your candid of a friend. Love your 10 strangers as well. The gentleman with the white hat is a definate keeper!

John

par914 Forum Member • Posts: 62
Thanks!

I don't have a "Kit Lens" but I will definitely practice these suggestions with the lenses I do have.
--
Peter -

ronwoodcraft Contributing Member • Posts: 643
Excellent Advice

I am fairly new to DSLR myself. I got my 300D and kit lens almost a year ago, january 05. When I first got it I could not get a decent picture out of it at all. I was so frustrated I didn't know wheather to send it back or throw it out in the snow. If I could have afforded it at the time I would probably have several new expensive lenses thinking that would fix the problem.

Thanks to all the nice people on this forum for sharing there knowledge and perservering with simple trial and error, the kit lens is the one I use most often.

Mirko Cano Regular Member • Posts: 141
Awesome! thank you!

I had a lot of trouble with finding a lens to replace my kit lens, but you are right. i can learn with it a lot and later get something else.
This is a great article!!

johnc51 Regular Member • Posts: 444
What an inspirational post!!

Just found this from another thread - thanks to whoever posted the link!!

This should be "stuck" on the first page!

Cheers,

John

katieshipmate Regular Member • Posts: 326
Ditto!

Copy and paste all the way!!!

K

KFahn Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Ditto!

to tell the truth, this list was a good inspiration for me in the beginning of my photographic travels. It is a great way to experience your equipment, and get a far better feel for what you can do!

I agree that this should be a sticky on the forum, maybe then we might get less "Which Lens..." threads!

Re: Ditto!

Talk about a blast from the past!

I must have taken a "wisdom pill" the day I wrote this orginal post. There are still several things on this list that I have not done myself,but there are many more that I have.

Seeing the number of posters that suddenly want to upgrade their cameras, I would suggest this list to them as well. It doesn't need to be replaced just because there is a better model out there...

Take care.

John

Darrel LaBossiere Senior Member • Posts: 1,219
or...

We could have a "snobby we know everything don't bother us forum," and a "newbie, we have a lot of dumb questions forum."

You don't like a question that is asked, don't reply to it. Even better, start your own forum somewhere else. A lot of time questions that you are purporting to be based on ignorance and laziness are things people need answers to so they can get their learning processes rolling. I'm glad you weren't around when I was doing my own research.

Fizzer Forum Member • Posts: 64
You missed the point...

I don't see any moans about n00b questions anywhere in his post,. (which is what you clearly think he meant) - just VERY useful advice, he is posting some excellent suggestions for ANYONE who uses a camera.

I've printed off this list because I think it'll be useful. Sure I've already bought some lenses before I read his post, and I also did my own research into those purchases that doesn't make it any less useful to me.

With an attitude like yours I'm glad I wasn't around when you were doing your research.

Darrel LaBossiere wrote:

We could have a "snobby we know everything don't bother us forum,"
and a "newbie, we have a lot of dumb questions forum."
You don't like a question that is asked, don't reply to it. Even
better, start your own forum somewhere else. A lot of time
questions that you are purporting to be based on ignorance and
laziness are things people need answers to so they can get their
learning processes rolling. I'm glad you weren't around when I was
doing my own research.

Allan Jordan Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: I have done all these with my Powershot A80 and

In exactly the same boat, having played creatively with an A80 for two years, and knowing its limitations and its strengths provides a lot of feedback into what I want to acheive with a dSLR, what lenses I want to get the images I like and, also imprtantly, when to leave the dSLR at home, take the A80 and enjoy taking snapshots without intruding on family days out.

I'd also call for this to be a sticky; one of the most useful and thought provoking posts I've seen on here since joining.

ModBoyZZ Contributing Member • Posts: 529

Bump! For an excellent thread....

oldbarry Forum Member • Posts: 78

Great suggestions! Sounds like the refresher course I should take.

dholl
dholl Veteran Member • Posts: 3,239

Agreed...put it in the "Learn - General Articles" section, dpr boys!

-- hide signature --

dholl

ScottyNV Veteran Member • Posts: 3,889
to do: for each lens one gets!

great suggestions - I missed this one the first time around... and the things to do you list comprise a great refresher course for us experienced shooters, too... and fun ways to learn about all of our lenses!

Cheers,
S.
--

• How deep does the Rabbit Hole go? *

My XT IS Full Frame -- APS-C/FF of course!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads