Moon w/ E-500 at 1920mm and 3840mm

Started Dec 13, 2005 | Discussions
ankh Senior Member • Posts: 1,047
Moon w/ E-500 at 1920mm and 3840mm

Images of the moon I took with E500 and Megrez 80 APO, prime focus setup. The first shot is with 2x Televue Powermate, the second with 4x Televue Powermate.

I hope you enjoy them.

-- hide signature --

Arthur Ankh
http://ankh.smugmug.com
EVOLT E-500, 14-45, 50mm macro, 50-200mm
FZ30
ex FZ20
ex Canon 20D
ex DSCF828

gunnerx Contributing Member • Posts: 602
Re: Moon w/ E-500 at 1920mm and 3840mm

Great shots! What's you're technique for sharpening the images? The 4x image is quite spectacular. I should think about picking up a 4x barlow.

Here's a picture I just took an hour ago in the cold. It's currently -14C outside without the windchill. The metal part of the camera strap actually stuck to my lip! Luckily i was able to get it out easily.

800mm mirror telescope with 2X barlow.

Nick44 Forum Member • Posts: 88

Wow...those are awesome shots...! Can you imagine how many times the moon has been hammered by asteroids etc to make all those huge craters? Its mind boggling. I have a telescope, a good one, havent used it much yet as I need to practice with it a little more. How do you take those photos? Do you have an attachment for your camera that goes on the eyepiece of the telescope? I find looking at the moon and planets fascinating.

Thanks for posting those Arthur,

Nick,

E-500, 14-45, 40-150, FL36

Les James
Les James Regular Member • Posts: 279

I agree with Nick's comments

Nice work!

Les James's gear list:Les James's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-S1 Olympus Stylus SP-100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
OP ankh Senior Member • Posts: 1,047

Thank you very much. I can't imaging taking pictures in such cold, I am glad your tongue survived! I use the Televue Powermates because they are much better then regular Barlows and doi not introduce any optical aberations, plus they even flaten the field a litlle. They are probably the best piece of optics for planetary, Sun and Moon imaging. I strongly recomend them. The first picture was sharpened in Registax where I combined several jpegs exposures. The second shot was shot in RAW and sharpened in Photoshop where I used PhotoKit Sharpener plug-in which sharpens the images in stages.

-- hide signature --

Arthur Ankh
FZ30
ex FZ20
ex Canon 20D
ex DSCF828

Thank you Nick (m)

I mainly use prime focus with the E-500, so I do not use any eyepieces. My setup is the OM 4/3 lense converter+T adapter attached directly to telescope or if I need more magnification I use Televue Powermates.

You can of course do eyepiece projection if you buy one of the adapters like the Scopetronix, but I do not have that one yet. Eyepiece projection can give you huge magnifications, but also the eyepice can degrade the optics of your telescope and introduce CA and other aberations, so you need a very good eyepiece. Also the athmosphere will limit what you can capture. I am working on my website, where I will reveal my setup and my tests including terrestial use of a good scope with the E-500, after I am finished I will post it here. Thanks for looking and commenting Nick.
--
Arthur Ankh
FZ30
ex FZ20
ex Canon 20D
ex DSCF828

dashure Contributing Member • Posts: 558
Arthur, these are the...

... BEST images of the moon shot by an amateur setup and they look like a pro job to me. Thanks, they look wonderful.

-- hide signature --

. Oly E-300 . KM A200 .

Ah, thanks for the tip! I will look into these Powermates.

Scott T. Miller Regular Member • Posts: 229

These are the best moon shots I've seen posted on DPReview. Excellent work!

-- hide signature --

Scott

Q about stacking..

You said you stacked the first image. How many images did you use and what was the shutter speed? Sorry for all the questions but I'm just getting into astrophotography and need as much help as possible.

Garry Frankel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,830
Fabulous

Really nice. I am now motivated to get my Meade 2080 LX3 back up and running. I have the OM T adapter so I have to get the OM to E adapter and I should be in business.

The nice thing about shooting in Winter (here in WinterPeg) is you don't get too many hot pixels and I think the atmosphere is more stable at colder temeratures. However, that is the ONLY good thing I can think of for working in the winter.

FreddyG Regular Member • Posts: 164
Really nice shots Arthur!!.....

Those are GREAT! Very nice images indeed!

I assume you have the 480mm f/6?? Can you give me some insight on the focusing mechanism? Does it have enough fine control to not be tedious? I've been looking for a setup in this range of focal length and speed, but I can't convince myself that the focusing mechanism would be adequate. Any insight would be appreciated.

Again, nice shots and thanks for any input!

Fred

george_online Senior Member • Posts: 1,590
I didn't know that moon has so many acnes

But that typical of all film stars, eh? You can't see their skin unless you too close.

Oh boy I am glad you don't live in neighbors. I wouldn't have too many secrets left by now.
Regards, George

Re: I didn't know that moon has so many acnes

If he can see the moon that clearly, he doesn't need to be in the same neighourhood as you.

The moon is made of cheese!

thank you dashure for your very kind words!(nt)
-- hide signature --

Arthur Ankh
FZ30
ex FZ20
ex Canon 20D
ex DSCF828

Thank you Fred(m)

Yes I have the Megrez 80 triple fluorite APO f/6 scope. It comes with excellent Crayford focuser which is very smooth and also rotates 360 degrees. But you can also get the 1:10 microfocuser which fits on any WO focuser to get even better performace and have very minute focusing movement. Generally William Optics products are top notch, very high quality products. What is more important is to see what you are focusing on and at night with astrophotography it is a challenge. That is why I am also planning on getting the Olympus VA-1 VariMagni Right Angle Finder which fits E-500 and have bigger magnification of the viewfinder and also you can change the angle, which is important when the camera is mounted on the telescope.

-- hide signature --

Arthur Ankh
FZ30
ex FZ20
ex Canon 20D
ex DSCF828

Re: Q about stacking..

They where all shot 1/250s and I shot aprox. 20 exposures then I stacked 6 of the best ones in Registax. The program is for free and it is great fro astrophotography. If you have any question, please feel free to ask, I'll be happy to help you and maybe save you some money during your research. I have tried many pieces of equpment and optics so it can be costly before you settle on the best solutions.
--
Arthur Ankh
FZ30
ex FZ20
ex Canon 20D
ex DSCF828

Thank you Garry(m)

I always thought so too that winter is the best, but then I read about seeing condition are ussualy the best in the quiet summer nights. So you never win, in the summer you get more hot pixels and better seeing and in the winter the oposite.

I use this website for prediction of seeing condition, and when it shows the very dark blue in my area I make sure I am ready.
http://www.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/htmls/seeing_e.html
--
Arthur Ankh
FZ30
ex FZ20
ex Canon 20D
ex DSCF828

Thank you all for your great comments!(nt)
-- hide signature --

Arthur Ankh
FZ30
ex FZ20
ex Canon 20D
ex DSCF828

Garry Frankel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,830
Cool site

I will have to remember it when I get the SCT up and running again (probably in the spring). I used to belong to RASC here in Winnipeg a long while ago.

My wife and I made the journey to Big Bend in Texas back in 1986 for the comet. She was pregnant with my first son and did not really appreciate what we were seeing (it was very warm there in April and we had no A/C). She said we drove 1,600 f'n klics to see that little f'n q-tip ball !!! This from a girl who NEVER swears.

Nicest "dark" sky I ever saw. No man made light for almost 60km. Saw the bottome 1/2 of some constelations we never get to see here.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads