"camera window" problem

Started Nov 26, 2005 | Discussions
glav Forum Member • Posts: 70
"camera window" problem

hi,
i hava a problem with camerawindow software:

i connect the camera to USB BEFORE installing canon software so "camerawindow" doesn't start! i lubch and appear nothing. In winXP i see the camera but i cant access with camerawindow.

I unistalled the camera from winxp and canon software, reboot and reinstalled the softwarem then reboot again and finaly connect the camera but nothing, it doesn't work!

Canadian Pat New Member • Posts: 2
Re: "camera window" problem

I have a new a610. Had downloaded photos twice to the software, but when tried again today, no canon window. Nothing appeared on camera lcd either, despite following manual. USB works. We can import through windows xp, but not canon software. we have deleted all software and are trying to reinstall to see if that now works. Anyone with similar problems or ideas?

Pat

stef Regular Member • Posts: 411

I have not connected either my S30 or A520 to the computer via the cable. What I do is use a card reader. I put the memory into the card reader and then plug the card reader into the usb port on the computer (or a usb hub if you use that). WinXP will ask (or not; your choice) what program to open. I select Canon Camera Window and it works without fail.

After the Canon Camera Window downloads the images, ZoomBrowser opens and all the newly downloaded images are selected and you can just click on slide show to view them.

If I was having trouble with the Canon software I would definitely uninstall the complete package. I don't know if the camera shows up in device manager does it? If it did, I would remove hardware or uninstall or whatever and then start over with software installation first.

Just my thoughts.
--
-stef
http://pbase.com/steveandbecky

Darran Regular Member • Posts: 212
Abysmal software control - help!

They're useless.

I'm now on my 5th Canon camera, and they just can't seem to get the software right - I always seem to have some issues.

I have just purchased the Ixus 750, and I have the exact same problem. I've tried removing all my Canon software entirely, and reinstalling. I've tried disabling all startup programs (just in case they were interfering) with no effect.

I can access the images through Windows Explorer, but I cannot coax CameraWindow to start - either from the window that appears when you connect the camera, from the start/programs/canon utils...etc, or directly from Windows Explorer when looking at the exe file.

I bought the camera for my wife, she won't want to mess around with Windows Explorer or card readers to see her images... As I had to do with a previous camera (camerawindow not appearing) for six months until the software bundled with a subsequent camera fixed the problem.

Any ideas anyone?
--
Darran

I found the problem

Found it. Stupid software.

If anyone is still having the problem with CameraWindow not starting, re-activate this thread, and I'll proceed to bore you.
--
Darran

OP glav Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: I found the problem

So what is the problem/solutution?
thanks

Hi, the issue was that the CameraWindow application did not start on one of my Windows XP PCs (don't know why it worked on the others).

Not when the camera was plugged in, not when trying to start it from "Start-> Programs-> Canon Utils-> CameraWindow-> CameraWindow", and not directly from trying to start it from it's icon in Windows Explorer. The machine didn't even attempt to start.

Turns out there is some service called "Canon Camera Access Library 8" which wasn't starting and could not start due to another service "SSDP Discovery Service" being disabled, presumably during the installation of the Digital Solution Disk (again, why only on one of my PCs though?). Anyway, setting both service Startup Types to "Automatic" solved the problem. Once the Canon Camera Access Library 8 service was running, CameraWindow popped up when it was supposed to.

Regards,
--
Darran

AesirX New Member • Posts: 15

You, sir, are my hero. I can't beleive I had missed that... I had already checked my services' setting... weird.

In all honesty, I am quite impressed with the software and think its come a LONG way since my A40 (ver. 8(!)).

Mick Woodruff New Member • Posts: 9

Darran, many thanks for the solution to the non-appearance of CameraWindow. I'd just about given up on getting my A620 to work with the Canon software, but your solution worked perfectly. You have made my day!

I have been, and still am, in a series of exchanges with Canon, trying to get some assistance with the problem, but they have so far failed to offer a solution which would work. Their last suggestion, that my Windows installation may be corrupted and in need or repair, was pretty desperate on their part I thought, and I was not about to reinstall Windows to try and solve the problem. I shall be back in contact with them to share your fix with them, and hope they take note of it; perhaps some other sufferer will thereby receive useful advice...

This is my first posting on these forums. I have been lurking for a while but decided I had to register to offer you my sincere thanks. I hope to make some further contributions before too long. Again, cheers!

Yoel D Regular Member • Posts: 124

Hi,

I have a similar problem but not exactly the same.

When my A620 is not connected, CameraWindow says 'Cannot Detect Camera'. Of course, this is OK. But when the camera is connected, switched one and on view position, and I activate CameraWindow, I will just see an icon in the task bar for less then a second. After nothing more.

However, I am able to download the pictures of the camera via start/program/accessories/scanner & camera wizard.

I considered your solution but I found only SSDP service. In my laptop, is manual and activated.

Any idea?

Thanks.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097
Using ZoomBrowser 5.5??

Darran wrote:

Anyway, setting both service Startup Types to
"Automatic" solved the problem.

This doesn't work for everyone.

My guess is that most of you are running ZoomBrowser 5.5. When I upgraded from v.5, I had the exact same problem. I spent hours trying to fix it, called Canon, they kept walking me through a series of installations and reinstallations. Things kept getting worse and we tried the solution Darran suggested, and it didn't work. When we uninstalled 5.5 and installed the previous version, Camera Window still wouldn't open as before. In fact, I couldn't even launch ZoomBrower, which I want to use ZoomBrowser because it's the only software that reads all exif data from the photos taken with my S2.

Anyway, glad it's worked out for some of you, but if you have problems like I describe there seems to be only one solution. Have a knowledgeable Canon tech support person walk you through manually cleaning the registry of every single reference to Canon ZoomBrowser and it's many components. After we that, I'm able to reinstalled ZB5....not as many nice features as the latest version, but at least I can automatically download images and video files.

Canon said there is some sort of conflict between what's on my computer and the latest version of ZB. That is obviously true, but to me the problem is Canons to work out. If one version of the software works on my computer, the upgrade should.

-- hide signature --

gail ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb
My digital camera BLOGs: Canon S2 IS & A510, Panasonic FZ3, Nikon 5400
http://www.digicamhelp.com/digital-camera-blogs/index.htm

reway Veteran Member • Posts: 6,406

hi Yoel D
read my post in this tread also refers to another tread hope this helps
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1010&thread=15339333

OP glav Forum Member • Posts: 70

still not working....
but how fast can you download with camerawindow?
copying directly using winxp from "my computer" I can get only 500 kb/s..
I will buy a card reader

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 14,097

glav wrote:

I will buy a card reader

A good idea but it will not necessarily solve the problem. It didn't for me. Consider calling Canon Tech Support.
--
gail ~ http://www.pbase.com/gailb
My digital camera BLOGs: Canon S2 IS & A510, Panasonic FZ3, Nikon 5400
http://www.digicamhelp.com/digital-camera-blogs/index.htm

Mick Woodruff New Member • Posts: 9
Canon respond with thanks

I wanted to let those with an interest in this issue know that Canon responded after I told them about the fix suggested by Darran. Canon Support thanked me for sharing with them the solution to the problem and said that the information was very valuable. It appears that they might really be listening. Maybe you should apply for a technical advisor's job with Canon, Darran.

Mick

bkc New Member • Posts: 1

I have a new Canon PowerShot sd550 and had the same problem with the Canon window. Thanks to Gannon and Reway and a few others, I was able to piece together the way to get it working for dummies like me.
Go to Start-run and type in 'services.msc' click ok.
Double click on 'Canon Camera Access Library 8'.
On the General tab, make sure 'startup type' is in automatic.

Click on the 'Dependencies' tab and see that you need the SSDP Discovery Service and the Windows Image Acquisition. Click ok.

Back to Library 8-scroll down to SSDP Discovery Service, double click and make sure 'startup type' is in auto (mine was disabled) on the General tab. Apply or ok.

Back to Library 8-scroll down to Windows Image Acquisition. Double click and make sure 'startup type' is in auto. Apply or ok.
Restart the computer to make changes effective.
Plug in the camera and turn on. Camera Window should appear.

DaveEmtb Contributing Member • Posts: 546
Thanks Darran. Canon have a thing or two to learn from Nikon IMHO

Glad i managed to find this thread, I was just about to give up on the Canon software permanently!

Having just bought my first Canon camera, and having owned a series of Nikon cameras, I am really shocked at how much worse the software is. Ok, so i use Nikon View (free) and Capture (not so free!), not Picture Project (bundled), but there is simply no comparison.

The Canon software is not nearly as intuitive, seems to have a lot more technical issues, and the help file is simply useless - it's really hard to find anything informative. I never even needed the help file to get going on the Nikon software.

Perhaps i just think the same way as Nikon designers?

If only Nikon View could automatically rotate the pictures from my A620, i'd just use that instead - it can automatically download them from the card reader at least

I think the source of the frustration really comes from Canon's choice of using PTP not USB Mass Storage. On nikon cameras you can choose either in the camera menus. PTP and Twain seem to have a lot of software issues on windows XP.

I also think Canon could learn a few things about camera body design from Nikon, the ergonomics are worse than all my Nikon cameras.

Still, i'm pleased with my purchase because the A620 offers an awful lot of bang-for-buck.

Dave

Darran wrote:

Turns out there is some service called "Canon Camera Access Library
8" which wasn't starting and could not start due to another service
"SSDP Discovery Service" being disabled, presumably during the
installation of the Digital Solution Disk (again, why only on one
of my PCs though?). Anyway, setting both service Startup Types to
"Automatic" solved the problem. Once the Canon Camera Access
Library 8 service was running, CameraWindow popped up when it was
supposed to.

Regards,
--
Darran

Thanks for the update

Thanks for the update. I am getting bored of my job in a bank now, so maybe Canon might have a use for me? Failing that, they could just ship me the replacement for the 1ds2 when it's released - that'd work!

It's a real pleasure to see that a few people can now use the software as it was intended - for me it wasn't too much of a problem - merely an irritation: I only use it to download images and have card readers. But my wife doesn't want to be messing with any of that. She just wants to plug her Ixus in, get a nice friendly dialog and click a "download" type button which then takes care of creating the appropriate date directories on her PC and copying the right files into the correct directories.

Very glad to hear Canon might find the information useful, and fingers crossed that their next release contains an installer that double checks the service configurations.
--
Darran.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads