can we take long exposures for fireworks using rc1 wireless

Started Nov 10, 2005 | Discussions
Harpreet Contributing Member • Posts: 564
can we take long exposures for fireworks using rc1 wireless

remote. and if yes do we have align it straight towards the sensor or can be released in any direction.

Mark Marshall Veteran Member • Posts: 3,944
Re: can we take long exposures for fireworks using rc1 wireless

yes - in Bulb Mode press once to open the shutter, and press again to complete exposure. You should point the RC-1 towards the sensor even w/ a new battery. ~ m²
--

'Brothers and sisters, we've been told there's some bad bokeh going around' ~ Wavy Gravy at Photokina

dylanbarnhart Veteran Member • Posts: 3,268
IR requires line of sight

The remote uses infrared (IR) beams, that is unidirectional just like light. Since the IR sensor is in the front of the camera, it's not possible to use the remote from the back. But it's a easy fix. Just put a reflector in front of the sensor.

I have this sr-1 universal remote from ebay. It comes with a mirror that reflects the IR signal, so that I can you can take photos from the back of the camera.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-for-Nikon-D50-D70s-Canon-350D-RC-1-RC-5-ML-L3-8Z_W0QQitemZ7559704870QQcategoryZ64345QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Harpreet wrote:

remote. and if yes do we have align it straight towards the sensor
or can be released in any direction.

dylanbarnhart's gear list:dylanbarnhart's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D +12 more
byawk Regular Member • Posts: 226
Re: can we take long exposures for fireworks using rc1 wireless

I always use the remote control for fireworks shots. A reflector might be handy, but I personally have never had any trouble simply aiming from the side and activating the shutter button.

balarila Senior Member • Posts: 1,268
That's a great gadget!

I have the RC1 and disappointed because I got it for tripod shot and hate the need to arc my arm in front of the camera to click. On bird shots, this action can sometimes drive birds away.

Are you hapy with it?

Interesting that it costs only a buck but shipping is $13 anywhere in the world. Still cheaper than RC1. Too bad Paypal doesn't work where I come from.
--
I'd rather add life to my years than years to my life.

JSug Contributing Member • Posts: 654
Re: That's a great gadget!

Interesting that it costs only a buck but shipping is $13 anywhere
in the world. Still cheaper than RC1.

I noticed that too, but there's a simple explanation:

"100% money back guarantee if it does not work on the listed cameras above!"

If they only charge $.99 for the item, they don't lose any profit by refunding your money. Still, I agree, it is a nifty little remote. I like the idea of including an LED flashlight and flip cover. How's the actual range? What kind of batteries does it take?

-- hide signature --

Jordan

Me too - slight angle is all it takes (nt)
-- hide signature --

'Brothers and sisters, we've been told there's some bad bokeh going around' ~ Wavy Gravy at Photokina

dylanbarnhart Veteran Member • Posts: 3,268

It's just like the RC1, with a few added features.

You can choose between a 2 second delay (to hide the remote when you take self portrait), or instantaneous.

In bulb mode, the first click will release and the second will close the shutter

It comes with the mirror so for back of camera operation. A rubber band (not included) is needed to attach the mirror to the lens.

The range is good. It works across my living room.

It uses 2 button batteries. I'm sure you can find them at RadioShak.

It also acts as a flash light, in case you work in the dark.

It can cling to the neck strap so that you don't misplace it.

It's a common practice to sell things at a low price, then overcharge the shipping. This is because ebay's fees are a percentage of the selling price. Doing it this way reduces ebay fees for the seller.

I should ask the user to pay me commission for each sale heh? Hehe, I wish.

dylanbarnhart's gear list:dylanbarnhart's gear list
Canon PowerShot G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic LX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D +12 more
JSug Contributing Member • Posts: 654

dylanbarnhart wrote:

It's a common practice to sell things at a low price, then
overcharge the shipping. This is because ebay's fees are a
percentage of the selling price. Doing it this way reduces ebay
fees for the seller.

There's that, and also the fact that they aren't required to refund shipping charges if there's a problem. Technically, it's against eBay policy to do this, and you could report them.

Thanks for the info, though. I might just order one anyway At that price, it's probably worth the risk.

-- hide signature --

Jordan

Shaw Goh Forum Member • Posts: 93

That Ebay member is Fantastic! The SR-1 remote is Fantastic! Get it! I ordered one about 10 days ago, and received it 5 days ago.

It did not appear to work, but I had no other camera to test it with. I emailed him about this and expressed my concern that delivery charge would be high to received a replacement and to send it back.

He wrote back saying he will send another one to me and was apologetic about it.

I received a new replacement yesterday - all working - at no charge.

Compared with the Canon, it has 3 things I like - 0 Delay or 2 sec delay. built in flashlight, and cheap

RC-1 has instant or 2 second delay

I'm glad you folks like your replacement but this is twice now that someone mentioned 2 sec as an added feature. That just isn't so. The RC-1 has a 3 position slider - off > instant > delay.
--

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads