5D images from India - the best yet

Started Nov 5, 2005 | Discussions
Ian S Senior Member • Posts: 2,257
Re: 5D images from India - the best yet

Juan

Thanks for the generous attitude and great images. Look forward to the final results.

Cheers
--
Ian S
'To see a World in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour'
http://www.rainpalm.com
http://www.mekongpicturehouse.com

paulalabra Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: Post processing (nt)

What kind of post processing?
--
Paula Labra!

paulalabra Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: Not to rain on the parade, but...

Documentation is necessary, that's why these pictures are so good. It shows us something we are not familar with. But let me tell you something. After living all my life in Ecuador, I have become "poverty-immune" Don't know how else to say it. But after seeing poverty every day and everywhere, you start seeing the truth. And you know what? Maybe most of you will hate me, but this usually is the truth. A lot of people are poor, because they don't do anything about it. Of course there are issues concerning lack of government help for health and education. Sure! But, when people don't have anything to eat in a country like Ecuadro, it is bullsh*%, because if they weren't so lazy, they could plant anything in their houses. Everything grows there anywhere. So, stop feeling guilty if you see someone poor. Because sometimes if you give them food, they will spit at you, or throw the food back at you, because all they want is money to go and get stoned of something. Sorry for sounding so mean, but try to look at it from all the sides.
Paula
--
Paula Labra!

paulalabra Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: 5D images from India - the best yet

That's exactly what I want to know!
--
Paula Labra!

Ian S Senior Member • Posts: 2,257
Re: Not to rain on the parade, but...

Perhaps apathy more than laziness...

I don't think your comment applies so much to India or Asia in general. People always try to scratch out a living one way or another and fight to get ahead. Begging is a profession in some places, very much a phenomenon in tourist areas. (Contrary to the comment of one poster - tourist areas are exactly where you will find beggars - in the case of Varanasi mostly tourists from other parts of India rather than overseas).

However not all the people in Juan Rodrigo's pictures are beggars. Some are. Others are street sleepers who may even have jobs. Others are ordinary people going about their business.

paulalabra wrote:

Documentation is necessary, that's why these pictures are so good.
It shows us something we are not familar with. But let me tell you
something. After living all my life in Ecuador, I have become
"poverty-immune" Don't know how else to say it. But after seeing
poverty every day and everywhere, you start seeing the truth. And
you know what? Maybe most of you will hate me, but this usually is
the truth. A lot of people are poor, because they don't do
anything about it. Of course there are issues concerning lack of
government help for health and education. Sure! But, when people
don't have anything to eat in a country like Ecuadro, it is
bullsh*%, because if they weren't so lazy, they could plant
anything in their houses. Everything grows there anywhere. So,
stop feeling guilty if you see someone poor. Because sometimes if
you give them food, they will spit at you, or throw the food back
at you, because all they want is money to go and get stoned of
something. Sorry for sounding so mean, but try to look at it from
all the sides.
Paula
--
Paula Labra!

-- hide signature --

Ian S
'To see a World in a grain of sand
And Heaven in a wild flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour'
http://www.rainpalm.com
http://www.mekongpicturehouse.com

jonthu New Member • Posts: 14
Re: 5D images from India - the best yet

Mr Rodrigo.

your images are simply outstanding. Thanks for sharing them. It makes me want to draw conclusions from the EXIF Info to learn more. I see that whitebalance often is on -1, and I wonder what this means. Have you adjusted 5D's whitebalance settings in any way already in the camera? And also - if you don't mind me asking - do you shot raw?
Thanks for your time,
--
Best regards,
Jonas Thun
Ystad, Sweden

harbin88 Contributing Member • Posts: 684
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I enjoy your

pictures very much!

paulalabra Regular Member • Posts: 261
Re: 5D images from India - the best yet

Hola rodrigo! como estas? Como te puedo contactar por mail?
Cuidate mucho!

-- hide signature --

Paula Labra!

olhovivo Senior Member • Posts: 1,258
I find the subject more disturbing...

It's easier to depict misery because it plays with your feelings - not so much nowadays, with all the misery photographers around the world - and moves aesthetics to a lesser plane.
--
Cheers,
Ric

jrodrigo Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: 5D images from India - the best yet

I always use automatic white balance. A few times I change this. Normaly I adjust color in computer (if needed)

99% I use JPG. Most of my friends use RAW and always are trying to convince me. But I think it's too troublesome and you don't really notice differences (except when the photo is bad: in RAW you are able to recover a bad shot but not in JPG)

And RAW is not a universal format... you can realise in a few years your images are not legible. I prefer standar and safe JPG

Cheers!

olhovivo Senior Member • Posts: 1,258
He also abuses of human misery...

Nachtwey, of course.
--
Cheers,
Ric

jonthu New Member • Posts: 14
Re: 5D images from India - the best yet

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Keep posting your images for us to enjoy!
--
Best regards,
Jonas Thun
Ystad, Sweden

kdvsn Regular Member • Posts: 311
Re: 5D images from India - the best yet

jrodrigo wrote:

I always use automatic white balance. A few times I change this.
Normaly I adjust color in computer (if needed)

99% I use JPG. Most of my friends use RAW and always are trying to
convince me. But I think it's too troublesome and you don't really
notice differences (except when the photo is bad: in RAW you are
able to recover a bad shot but not in JPG)

And RAW is not a universal format... you can realise in a few years
your images are not legible. I prefer standar and safe JPG

Cheers!

When you run Canon's RAW conversion software on a PC in batch mode, does it give you a JPG that it the same as what the camera would produce. If so, it seems like you could also run a batch file to covert all your RAW files into JPG after the fact and save both the JPG's and RAW files for posterity. Then you have best of both worlds.

About RAW not being universal, Adobe has a free convertor to convert RAW files from most currrent DSLR's into DGN format (though I don't know if the supports the 5D yet). DGN might not be truly universal either but it seems like its picking up traction.

http://kerrydavison.freeservers.com

krusadr Senior Member • Posts: 2,988
Recursive loop detected...

Adam Kozlowski wrote:

...totally decided to ruin my account, sell a lot from my record
collection, and finally buy a 5D and a couple of primes.

Thank you.

That 'thank you' came from behind clenched teeth I take it? LOL.

Well be sure and show us your pictures when you get one, oh and don't forget to post a mailing address for the food parcels...

Perhaps we can come and take pictures of you starving in the street - at least you'll have a great big grin on your face.

Now all I need for that would be a 5D and a couple of nice primes......

-- hide signature --

'Silence! What is all this insolence? You will find yourself in gladiator school vewy quickly with wotten behaviour like that.'

treemed Forum Member • Posts: 56
5D vs 20D... any difference?

Mr Rodrigo,

Great to hear your explanation in person, for an enlightenment on your approach, and ethics of your work... it should stop a lot of speculative posts here, especially those related how you shouldn't taken those photos... and many things that are completely out of line.

I'm first and foremost an artists in my life, and equipment is always secondary, but we certainly come here to be educated about equipment as well, which should eventually help us to make wise decision what to buy next. If camera didn't matter at all, we would be all shooting cheap, tiny p & s, and pretend it doesn't matter. There were several posts here that were adamant that camera didn't matter at all, that you could have taken same quality shots with Rebel or 20D. And I'm sure you would be able to make nice shots with those cameras too. But I'm sure there was a good reason in your mind why you got 5D on this trip rather than 20D.

But this is your work, and it would be good to hear how much do you think 5D was a part of the process? Is FF the ONLY advantage of 5D in your experience? Does 5D produce smoother images, more film-like with better dynamic range than 20D or Rebel, as some users attest? Do you think you would have achieved the same results with Rebel of 20D, or you feel there is a definitive and important positive difference in using 5D?

There are many of us who would love to hear your answer on this topic.

Inge Stubdal Regular Member • Posts: 266
For Juan

Juan,

I would like to second (or thirty-fifth or seventy-fifth by now) that these are some extremely nice images!

It would be great to hear your thoughts on the move to 5D - besides the obvious DOF that you really make shine.

And as an aside - where in Spain do you live? I visit Barcelona from time to time, and will be there next week (with my measly D30).

-Inge

treemed wrote:

There are many of us who would love to hear your answer on this topic.

Petteri Sulonen Forum Pro • Posts: 24,585
Fantastic work. (NT)

(NT)

 Petteri Sulonen's gear list:Petteri Sulonen's gear list
Fujifilm X100S
David Martin Forum Pro • Posts: 17,056
What do you think of the 85/1.8?

Film_Ruled wrote:

SNIP

I, for one, plan to take off for a month in the Spring to either
South East Asia, Iceland or Ecuador with my 5D and three primes. My
24 1.4L, 50 2.5 Macro and my freaking unreal 85 1.2L and a thin
extension tube.
What else could I possibly need..:-)
SNIP

I am starting to think prime - but understood that the 1.8 is a bit faster focussing etc than the 1.2 - how do you think they compare?
--
Regards,
DaveMart
Please see profile for equipment

jrodrigo Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: What do you think of the 85/1.8?

David Martin wrote:

I am starting to think prime - but understood that the 1.8 is a bit
faster focussing etc than the 1.2 - how do you think they compare?

I used to do some portraits to friends (you would see in my web)... With the 20D I always used the 50 f1.4, but with the 5D I must change to something larger.

Options were basically 85 f1.8, 85 f1.2L and 135f2L

I was testing all them and I realise both 85 has a minimun AF distance too long (1.2L a little worse than 1.8)... so, 135 f2L was my choice.

f2 in a 5D is absolutly enough (is like a f1.1 in a 20D)... so, If you want to take close pictures, don't think any more.

Else, 85 f1.2L has much better quality than f1.8 (but it is also a lot more expensive and very heavy)

Anyway the three lenses are great!... no posible mistake

Cheers!

jrodrigo Junior Member • Posts: 25
5D vs 20D

Inge Stubdal wrote:

Juan,
I would like to second (or thirty-fifth or seventy-fifth by now)
that these are some extremely nice images!
It would be great to hear your thoughts on the move to 5D - besides
the obvious DOF that you really make shine.
And as an aside - where in Spain do you live? I visit Barcelona
from time to time, and will be there next week (with my measly D30).
-Inge
treemed wrote:

Main difference between 20D and 5D is the FF sensor and its implications (DOF, larger viewer, very low noise : even at ISO 1000 is almost not noticiable...)

A practical exemple of implications in DOF:

http://www.caborian.com/foro/index.php?topic=19673.0

Crops:

This was what I was lloking for and it is enough for me. Other differences are not so noticiable (not for me). Perhaps the 12.7 Mpx vs 8.3 Mpx but I think this is not very necesary (if you are not planning to have print copies larger than A3)

DOF is very important for me. Now with f2.8 I have the DOF I need for most shots. So, I can use zooms (with 20D I was "forced" to use prime lenses all the time; now I use primes 50% of the time, but I also can use a 24-70 f2.8L and feel comfortable)

Larger LCD and a differnt system to archieve photos in folders as you wish are also very useful but it is not a buying reason.

Disadvantges vs 20D: price, FF requiers L lenses to work fine, speed (only 3 fps), no flash, no automatic programs. All this things wasn't a real problem for me... Worse thing is you lose focal lenght if you like tele-photography.

Comparing to 1D MarkII, the only thing I would miss is the 45 points of AF. But I don't like 1.3x crop, nor complicate menus, size and weight... With the 5D I can choose to use a grip to have a more consistent camara and to shot vertically, but also take off the grip to go on road.

Also I would choose to have always the ISO indicator.

Cheers!

P.S. I'm from Barcelona

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads