13 wedding photos from the E-500 & FL-50 Flash

Started Oct 24, 2005 | Discussions
OP grandp Senior Member • Posts: 1,038
Re: What was the flash mode

The 20D is very fast compared to the e-500 and the WB is very good all the time.

The E-500 is a good camera but its not a camera to be used for making money and shooting events it is more of a started camera like the E-300 but it dose have a lot of great features in it.

I just hope the E-3 or what ever has many of the new features plus a lot more.

I am taking the E-500 kit back for a refund and will get the E-1 and a 14-54 and 50-200 and hand full of batterys.

5mp is plenty for everything i shoot and for the print sizes i use up to 20x24.

njdevil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,727
Granp, you will love the E-1...

May I suggest the following...

Buying the battery grip (HLD-2) for $200 and buying a charger and battery off of ebay. $265 total vs $450 for the SHLD-2.

Zoltan2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,991
grandp

As far as I can tell, Olympus are not that great at explaining how to set up their flash units. English Bob has devised a setup for the E-1-FL-50 combo that many people have found to work well. It might be worth to check if all your settings were identical to his:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=15398664

Stuart Senior Member • Posts: 1,364
WB and Exposure Problems

Grandp,

From your experiences on your trip, you appeared to have problems outdoors with exposure and auto white balance. Please advise with your experience outdoors (not in the dark wedding conditions above)

Did you feel that these problems were unpredictable oralways present in certain situations ?
Did you constantly have to set manual white balance, even outdoors ?

Do you think an expodisk or alike would have helped (obviously too slow for weddings) ?

If you constantly had to override the camera outdoors, was it made difficult by problems seeing the viewfinder display ?

Stuart

Re: WB and Exposure Problems

Did you feel that these problems were unpredictable oralways present in certain situations ?

no i used manual WB and the auto and sunny and cloudy and they all worked outside each giving a different look.

Cloudy worked best for most of the photos in the shaded areas and sunny works great also in the bright sunlight much better then auto.

Auto tends to have a blue cast to it.

Did you constantly have to set manual white balance, even outdoors ?
no sunny worked good

Do you think an expodisk or alike would have helped (obviously too slow for weddings) ?

I have one a expodisk and i did not use it i WB on the water many times or shot in cloudy in the shade.

If you constantly had to override the camera outdoors, was it made difficult by problems seeing the viewfinder display ?

If you are shooting landscapw with a tripot the E-500 is great as you can frane up your shop and then set a manuel exposured by turning the dial and can see the metter on the back lcd with out looking into the viewfinder.

When using the viewfinder it is not easy to set manuel exposuer the dial moves faster then the numbers will move so you over shoot the right amount and have to move the dial very slow to get it right and can miss a photo trying to get it set right if something is going on.

E1derful Senior Member • Posts: 2,971
Why did you strip the EXIF info?!

Is there some particular reason you stripped the EXIF info? Also, without the EXIF informaiton, there is a chance that you have mistaken these shots with those of the 20D. What if you somehow mixed these up with the 20D shots...it would be hard to determine once the EXIF info is gone...

With the EXIF info, we may get a better understanding of what went wrong. The more inof you give us, the better equipped we will be to give you suggestions for improvement.

Re: Granp, you will love the E-1...

I just order the SHLD-2 BATTERY GRIP with one battery and the charger from someone on e-bay used i got it for $249

Thanks for the reply. One more question.
With your 20D, are you able to do the outdoor shots (scenics, etc) just with
auto white balance , without resorting to sunny, shady, etc ?

Stuart

Re: Why did you strip the EXIF info?!
-- hide signature --

Is there some particular reason you stripped the EXIF info? Also, without the EXIF informaiton, there is a chance that you have mistaken these shots with those of the 20D. What if you somehow mixed these up with the 20D shots...it would be hard to determine once the EXIF info is gone...
--------------------

Reply. all the oly image have a different name then the 20D ones and all the 20D shots i took i used all off camera lights the are completley different looking. I did not mix them up

as for stripping the info all i did was take each image into PS and turn it into a 72 dpi image and then save it as save for web and then poasted it.

Give me your e-mail address and i will e-mail you one!

Yes the WB works much better.

with the 20D i shoot most everything in auto WB except for in studio photos then i use the epxodisk thing.

The 20D will focus lock much faster then the E-500 and can focus in very low light with no help from a flash.

I would say the 20D can shoot 5 photos to ever 2 of the E-500 as the E-500 takes that much longer to focus lock before you can take the photo.

The E-500 led screen is great and some of the menu items are very nice to.

Its very light and easy to take around with you.

ExCibular Regular Member • Posts: 316
Thank you very much for all the effort

Thank you for your effort in trying to compare the 20D and the E500. Several informative threads are the result of your comparison helping us al to better understand the E-system.

I am responding as an (happy) owner of the E-300

I agree with your concern about the low light focussing ability of the E-X00. However, getting the 14-54 solved parts of my problems here. This combination alllowes me to focus in most situations. However in a pitch dark room, (lights off, monitor on) I cannot get a focus either (except on the monitor).

charli Contributing Member • Posts: 553
just a guess

photos look as if the flash were tilted down in macro position.

unless you were far away.

once in a hall at night in a hurry i fliped the flash down to quickly
and the photos came out the same way.

Two more questions:
1. Was exposure without manual override better with the 20 D outdoors ?

2. Did the LCD of the E500 allow you to assess exposure and WB in the field
without going to your laptop ?

Stuart

-- hide signature --

Two more questions:
1. Was exposure without manual override better with the 20 D outdoors ?
--------------------------

Yes much better..

-----------------------
2. Did the LCD of the E500 allow you to assess exposure and WB in the field
without going to your laptop ?
------------------------------------

not sure what you mean?

Zoltan2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,991
Re: Thank you very much for all the effort

Interesting. Is that true even with the flash raised to strobe the scene to assist the af?

ExCibular wrote:

However in a pitch dark room, (lights off, monitor on) I cannot get
a focus either (except on the monitor).

Some off camera lighting photos

here is the link to some photos from a wedding i did showing the off camera lighting i use this was from the 10D

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&message=15555562

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,619
Re: Some off camera lighting photos

grandp wrote:

here is the link to some photos from a wedding i did showing the
off camera lighting i use this was from the 10D

I'm really having difficulty deciding if you are a Canon troll or not. Seriously.

The E500 LCD is excellent. Could you look at the LCD in bright daylight outdoors and tell if you got the right exposure and white balance ?

Stuart

Clarification- I mean seeing the image in the LCD, not the histogram.

stuart

Re: Some off camera lighting photos

I have been shooting canon for a long time now so that is all i have to show from using off camera lights.

I am taking back the E-500 and getting a E-1 i allready ordered the battery grip today.

I am moving into a oly set up i will be ordering the 14-54 and 50-200 as soon as i can find a good deal on the E-1

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads