Sony R1 almost got me. A short essay in praise of A2.

Started Oct 21, 2005 | Discussions
D G Contributing Member • Posts: 928
Sony R1 almost got me. A short essay in praise of A2.

I've been interested in Sony's R1 since it came out and in an impulsive fit, pumped by idea of a waistlevel camera with big sensor, I pre-ordered one from Sony yesterday.

..And cancelled the order today.

I went home, started looking at my A2 files, and took out the A2 went and took a couple snaps, and suddenly the R1 seemed like a waist of money. For me. I'm not saying it's not a nice camera, nobody really knows yet.

I keep coming back to the A2. Of course it's not perfect, but for what I do, the only real drawback, higher ISO noise, hasn't been a problem and in most other respects the camera is just so brilliantly designed IMO, that the tradeoff is worth the bit of extra thinking required to work around that issue. Usually it is a non-issue because I don't do action photography in dim light anyway.

I guess what it comes down to is that I really like the size, weight, adjustability, focal length reach, and image quality of the A2.

Everyday something new comes out that promises certain improvements and it's easy to get swept away with the latest thing and the marketing machine.

Taking stock of what the A2 offers, I realized that the R1 isn't offering that much more, and in some areas it is offering less. Large sensor - certainly a good thing-, but along with it, more size, more weight, more lense size, less reach, less features, less EVF resolution and no movie mode (sorry, but it IS nice to have). And speaking of IS... no image stabilization.

When the product is released, maybe it will be amazing, but until that's proven, the A2 is still the top non-SLR digital camera in my book.

André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 10,654
Re: Sony R1 almost got me. A short essay in praise of A2.

Hi,

Fortunately you cancelled your order !
I'm with you : I'll wait untill comes an A3, if it comes someday.
For my needs, at the end of 2005, no camera matches the A2.
So, let's keep on shooting with our A2s and wait !
Cheers
André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
Steve West Veteran Member • Posts: 6,149

I too really like the A2. Now that I'm printing 13x19 prints, I'm finding that the A2 still does a wonderful job, and 8MP is really nice at this size. Ocassionally I need to run the images through Neatimage, but that is only a minor annoyance.

As far as an affordable user-friendly camera, I too would not replace it with anything else at this time. The 3600 flash has plenty of reach, so I can still keep the ISO low in low light. I just don't want any camera that's larger.

I am thinking of supplementing it with a Fuji F10 or F11 for times when the A2 is just too large to lug around.

-- hide signature --

Steve W

Steve West's gear list:Steve West's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +7 more
rvogie Contributing Member • Posts: 648
I'm with you Steve but...

I love my A2 but also wanted an ultracompact for my pocket. Decided on the Dimage X1 and I am very satisfied.

rvogie's gear list:rvogie's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony SLT-A55 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 20mm F2.8 +6 more
Steve West Veteran Member • Posts: 6,149
hard choice

It is a hard choice, but I really am curious how well Fuji did with their high ISO capability. I'm sure the X1 would be a great camera, and the extra MP would be really nice in a super compact.
--
Steve W

Steve West's gear list:Steve West's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a6000 Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +7 more
gene thomson Veteran Member • Posts: 5,250

I have to agree with the others here ( D.G., Andre, Steve W.). I read about the new cameras with their advanced?? features and start wishing. Then, I take some images with the A2 and wonder " are the new cameras any better, or easier?" Maybe in some ways there are improvements, but to me, they do not justify a newer camera.

By the way, I have a Nikon Coolpix 950 (super macro, super color), a Panasonic Lumix FZ1 ( super 12X lens), and a Canon A520 (carry in my pocket - very nice all-around small camera). But, the A2 still feels and performs like a well designed photographer's camera. Just my opinion from a multi-camera owner (70 years photographic experience). Got my first box camera when I was 10. Just turned 80.

geeno

OP D G Contributing Member • Posts: 928

I agree geeno. The A2 is designed as a photographer's tool. I've got a pentax *ist DS DSLR also, and a ricoh for a pocket camera. I like them all but the A2 is for some reason sort inspiring to use. I got it when I decided to completely give up film and wanted to replace my Bessa R rangefinder with something that handled nice, so I took a chance on the A2 after reading up on it and I haven't regretted it.

Even though it's a modern digital zoom camera there's something about it that reminds me of a traditional small rangefinder or SLR. Like a leica, or olympus OM, or Canon A1. Strange because it's about as high tech as you can get. To me that means there were photographers involved in designing it.

That's another thing about the Sony. I'm not sure I trust it to have that photographer vibe about it, whereas a company like Minolta is all about photography. Even the look of the R1 is more like a video camera. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just different. I'm not convinced it's for me anyway.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads