Night Photo

Started Oct 10, 2005 | Discussions
marirose3657
marirose3657 Senior Member • Posts: 1,368
Night Photo

Here was my experiment with my new P850. The first photo is a picture of a street here in philadelphia. At the very end of the street on the right hand side there is a little red dot (it is a stop sign) Here is the pict

-- hide signature --

The next picture was taken at about 9 PM when the street was dark except for the street lights. I was standing at the same spot (my son's house ) and I focused on the stop sign at the very end of the street (full telephoto on auto mode) This is the result

Now I really don't know how long a city block actually is but it is a good 100 yards give or take a few. I could not believe I could see the stop sign let alone the writing on it.

Not too bad for a camera that's been taking a bashing

Marirose
P850 User

marirose3657's gear list:marirose3657's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
pcchris Forum Pro • Posts: 14,855
Re: Night Photo

That is outstanding. Was the streetlight lighting up the stop sign?
--
Chris

http://photobucket.com/albums/a157/pcchris01/Favorites/

marirose3657
OP marirose3657 Senior Member • Posts: 1,368

Chris, I think the street lights were reflecting off the sign but I was totally amazed I got the picture off at all
--
Marirose
P850 User

Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 5D Mark II +4 more
marirose3657

Or it may have been a car..I don't recall if a car was going down the street I was too busy looking through the viewfinder
--
Marirose
P850 User

ed anthony Senior Member • Posts: 2,251

Excellent work on your part.

edanthony

marirose3657

Thank you
--
Marirose
P850 User

rgraham Senior Member • Posts: 2,389

Impressive. Very tough to shoot in the dark. I was out trying out the sunset setting tonight, but since the clouds were too thick, I practiced on a tree. Very tough in the dark. The pics came out very dark, much darker than the screen would suggest. They are responding to lotsa post processing. I had tried this with my old Olympus, with similar results except the detail and noise are naturally much better with the P850.

keep up the good work,
Rob

fgreenhut Forum Pro • Posts: 18,117

Amazing work.
--
Fred
-
I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.

George Wooden Senior Member • Posts: 2,625

marirose3657 wrote:

Here was my experiment with my new P850. The first photo is a
picture of a street here in Philadelphia. At the very end of the
street on the right hand side there is a little red dot (it is a
stop sign) Here is the pict

This also destroys any notion that the camera cannot focus in low light, doesn't it? Well done, thanks for adding that to the mixture of recent submissions from a camera that was being treated like a redheaded stepchild the last couple of days. I think some of the statements about this camera are being proven erroneous, and others are statements surmised by certain individuals before the facts were all in. But, that is just human nature.
--
Never too old to learn.
DX7590 V1.01

Ulo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,355

well done marirose. people can bash cameras and justify decisions they make if it makes them feel happy. I find that it pays to investigate something long term than make a hasty decision.

With your pic, you have shown that it is possible to get a great pic in impossible circumstances. I can get pics that just aren't possible with the 7590 (and i love that camera too).

Ulo's gear list:Ulo's gear list
Nikon D800
Mimi Jo Contributing Member • Posts: 726

Very interesting. Looks like you got a good camera.
Mimi Jo

marirose3657

Thanks everyone..I'm taking pictures in different settings to see how well this camera will perform. So far, I'm pretty impressed myself. I bought the camera at Best Buy (please no best buy bashing...they are pretty good to me) and I was talking to the salesperson there (he recommended that I puchase the Cannon S2). I showed him the P850 and we took shots with each camera...well I liked the Kodak better. He just couldn't believe it. I went back there on Sunday and ran into the same guy and now he's been recommending the camera to customers......See...you got to give this little guy a chance.
--
Marirose
P850 User

Atindra Veteran Member • Posts: 7,408

Thats a great little story. Kodak should be thankful to you. I know many in camera shops will always recommend you to buy Nikons or Canons.
Atindra

Atindra's gear list:Atindra's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR
Atindra Veteran Member • Posts: 7,408

The 2nd shot is on tripod? If its handheld then this camera gets 10/10 and shooter gets 20/10. What a shot, focus and sharpness are superb.
Atindra

Atindra's gear list:Atindra's gear list
Pentax K-70 Pentax 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR
marirose3657

No tripod...I love this picture
--
Marirose
P850 User

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads