Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

Started Sep 13, 2005 | Discussions
wll Contributing Member • Posts: 533
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

Metz has been promising a module for 2 years now, They may just not have the technology to do it, I don't know, they make great flashes but !!!!!

wll

philzucker
OP philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,463
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

LimCam wrote:

Hi

I am aware that the k10D needs P-TTL. I have the Metz 32MZ-3 +
SCA3701. Can you or anyone tell me if this particular Metz flash is
of any use with the K10D or should I get rid of them? I am not into
wireless flash.

What an old thread to resurrect But it shows that the problem is still there. Back to your question: I haven't tried it the few days I had my K10D (have returned it). But as suggested to you in the other thread you started it should work fine in A mode - just find out what ISO and aperture setting on the 32MZ-3 works with a defined aperture and ISO setting (not necessarily the same ...) on your K10D with the flash in A mode - I mean standard A mode on the flash here, and that means using your K10D in manual mode where you set shutter speed to 1/125 or 1/180s and the aperture according to the flash. The flash will then regulate the output of light, not the K10D. Works fine, be assured!

Would recommend to keep it, it's a quite reliable and capable flash if you can get it to work as described above.

I don't know about the "Super A" mode Jens describes on his page - have never used it with the 32MZ, since it worked good enough in TTL on my Ds. It's possible that this "Super A" mode doesn't work with the 32MZ - I'm not sure that ISO and aperture are communicated to it (as with the 40MZs for example).

-- hide signature --

Phil

GMT +1

philzucker
OP philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,463
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

wll wrote:

Metz has been promising a module for 2 years now, They may just not
have the technology to do it, I don't know, they make great flashes
but !!!!!

... IMO they have the technology, but base their decisions to implement it on market share. With that of Pentax finally rising I still have a glimmer of hope they will eventually make a SCA module capable of P-TTL.

-- hide signature --

Phil

GMT +1

barneycg Regular Member • Posts: 239
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

I recently contacted them (metz) about this and the response was that the p-ttl bit was actually in the flash not in the shoe so a new SCA module can't actually give p-ttl, you'd have to buy a whole new flash.

philzucker wrote:

wll wrote:

Metz has been promising a module for 2 years now, They may just not
have the technology to do it, I don't know, they make great flashes
but !!!!!

... IMO they have the technology, but base their decisions to
implement it on market share. With that of Pentax finally rising I
still have a glimmer of hope they will eventually make a SCA module
capable of P-TTL.

philzucker
OP philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,463
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

barneycg wrote:

I recently contacted them (metz) about this and the response was
that the p-ttl bit was actually in the flash not in the shoe so a
new SCA module can't actually give p-ttl, you'd have to buy a whole
new flash.

Did you ask about a specific flash? Flashes like the 54 MZ-4i for instance are perfectly capable of the somewhat similar E-TTL of Canon or i-TTL of Nikon if equipped with the correct SCA adapter, and I could at least imagine that this model could also work with P-TTL (less complex than i-TTL AFIAK) . Older models like the 54 MZ-3 at least work with E-TTL, so I think it basically really is a question of both the SCA adapter and the flash model used if P-TTL will be supported in the future by Metz. A shame that they can't be more specific on that for P-TTL ...

As you contacted them did they rule out completely that any current or old Metz flash model could be made to work with P-TTL and a new or updated Pentax SCA adapter?

-- hide signature --

Phil

GMT +1

barneycg Regular Member • Posts: 239
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

philzucker wrote:

barneycg wrote:

I recently contacted them (metz) about this and the response was
that the p-ttl bit was actually in the flash not in the shoe so a
new SCA module can't actually give p-ttl, you'd have to buy a whole
new flash.

Did you ask about a specific flash? Flashes like the 54 MZ-4i for
instance are perfectly capable of the somewhat similar E-TTL of
Canon or i-TTL of Nikon if equipped with the correct SCA adapter,
and I could at least imagine that this model could also work with
P-TTL (less complex than i-TTL AFIAK) . Older models like the 54
MZ-3 at least work with E-TTL, so I think it basically really is a
question of both the SCA adapter and the flash model used if
P-TTL will be supported in the future by Metz. A shame that they
can't be more specific on that for P-TTL ...

As you contacted them did they rule out completely that any current
or old Metz flash model could be made to work with P-TTL and a new
or updated Pentax SCA adapter?

I only asked about the 40MZ2

LimCam Contributing Member • Posts: 775
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

barneycg wrote:
I recently contacted them (metz) about this and the response was
that the p-ttl bit was actually in the flash not in the shoe so a
new SCA module can't actually give p-ttl, you'd have to buy a whole
new flash.

philzucker wrote:

wll wrote:

Metz has been promising a module for 2 years now, They may just not
have the technology to do it, I don't know, they make great flashes
but !!!!!

... IMO they have the technology, but base their decisions to
implement it on market share. With that of Pentax finally rising I
still have a glimmer of hope they will eventually make a SCA module
capable of P-TTL.

-- hide signature --

That's answers my question. Use it an a manual flash or get or P-TTL?
LimCam
Brisbane, Australia

LimCam Contributing Member • Posts: 775
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

philzucker wrote:

barneycg wrote:

I recently contacted them (metz) about this and the response was
that the p-ttl bit was actually in the flash not in the shoe so a
new SCA module can't actually give p-ttl, you'd have to buy a whole
new flash.

Did you ask about a specific flash? Flashes like the 54 MZ-4i for
instance are perfectly capable of the somewhat similar E-TTL of
Canon or i-TTL of Nikon if equipped with the correct SCA adapter,
and I could at least imagine that this model could also work with
P-TTL (less complex than i-TTL AFIAK) . Older models like the 54
MZ-3 at least work with E-TTL, so I think it basically really is a
question of both the SCA adapter and the flash model used if
P-TTL will be supported in the future by Metz. A shame that they
can't be more specific on that for P-TTL ...

As you contacted them did they rule out completely that any current
or old Metz flash model could be made to work with P-TTL and a new
or updated Pentax SCA adapter?

-- hide signature --

I have contacted Metz today. Will post the response in due course.
LimCam
Brisbane, Australia

barneycg Regular Member • Posts: 239
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

You seem to consistantly miss out using the Auto option ... is there a reason for this ?

JensR Forum Pro • Posts: 17,971
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

I don't know about the "Super A" mode Jens describes on his page -
have never used it with the 32MZ, since it worked good enough in
TTL on my Ds. It's possible that this "Super A" mode doesn't work
with the 32MZ - I'm not sure that ISO and aperture are communicated
to it (as with the 40MZs for example).

No, the 32-MZ3 can only take advantage of the transmitted focal length or its autozoom feature.

-- hide signature --

'Well, 'Zooming with your feet' is usually a stupid thing as zoom rings are designed for hands.' (Me, 2006)
http://www.jensroesner.de/
--=! Condemning proprietary batteries since 1976 !=--

philzucker
OP philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,463
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

barneycg wrote:

I only asked about the 40MZ2

Ahh, that's probably bad news for my two 40MZ-1s. Oh well, for my Ds everything stays the same, and if I ever get another K10D I'll try with auto mode.

-- hide signature --

Phil

GMT +1

LimCam Contributing Member • Posts: 775
Re: Info: Metz SCA adapter for Ds

We are discussing the same problem in two different threads and I am the culprit. My apologies. I suppose I will confine to the other thread ...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1036&thread=21697549

to avoid this confusion.

You may want to see the other thread for responses from Metz.

-- hide signature --

LimCam
Brisbane, Australia

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads