Cracked screens on SD400?

Started Sep 12, 2005 | Discussions
Jim Bahn Regular Member • Posts: 111
Cracked screens on SD400?

Just doing a little survey of SD400 users, to see the extent of the "cracked screen" problem. Have you users had a problem?

I bought an SD400 a week ago, carried it around in my pocket all week with no case, and didn't have a problem. The whole purpose of buying this cam was so I could carry it in a pocket.

Thanks.

Jim

saotupp Senior Member • Posts: 1,433
Re: Cracked screens on SD400?

You should read this topic:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=44980&forum_id=15

Sure you'll hear from Canon fans and Canon itself that there is no problem. But logic and facts runs against it. Those cracked screens are mostly from SD300 but there's also some SD400. There is no protection over the lcd screen so.. I personaly think it's a mistake and when the warranty doesn't cover it IT IS A FLAW. I would never buy a camera that I would have to pay 165$ everytime that problem happens. And where I'm from it costs atleast 200€ to fix it. And before someone starts saying in normal use you can't break it, please read that topic.

-- hide signature --

If a man empties his purse into his head, no one can take it away from him. An investment of knowledge always pays the best interest.

dcains Contributing Member • Posts: 800

Simply Google "Canon SD cracked LCD" and see all the hits (50,000+) you get. Hard to believe this isn't a real issue with these cameras.

Tom Hoots
Tom Hoots Veteran Member • Posts: 6,073

dcains wrote:

Simply Google "Canon SD cracked LCD" and see all the hits (50,000+)
you get. Hard to believe this isn't a real issue with these
cameras.

Well, no.... I just did such a Google search, and got OVER 329,000 hits.

I also had an SD300 that developed the proverbial "cracked for no good reason" LCD, after only 11 days. And this was after reading lots about cracked screens, putting it into the most robust semi-hard case I could find, and treating it like a baby. This from a guy who had the original S100 Digital Elph, and a whole host of different cameras since then, and never "damaged" one of them -- I take fanatically good care of my equipment.

In my estimation, the SD300 and similar cameras have LCD screens that cannot survive even "routine and rather careful" handling. It's a shame, since they =are= truly cool cameras! In the end, I would recommend looking at one of the small Canons that have relatively smaller LCD screens, rather than those where the screen "very nearly fills the entire rear side" of the camera. The smaller-screen cameras should prove to be quite robust beasts that will serve you well.
--
Tom Hoots
My PBase galleries:
http://www.pbase.com/thoots

Kimnicho Senior Member • Posts: 2,329

If you only bought it a week ago, perhaps you should consider returning it since the SD450 will have a screen protector...just a thought
--
Kimnicho
Panasonic FZ-20, Sony V3, Sunpak 383
http://kimnicho.smugmug.com/
smugmug code: 13ZCJZatfoLSQ

OP Jim Bahn Regular Member • Posts: 111

Thx for the quick feedback and advice ...

There certainly were a lot of instances, outside of this forum, of people with SD300s and cracked screens. Hard to find a LOT of instances of an SD400 cracked screen though. I looked at the warranty, and screens are covered, as long as the camera doesn't appear abused.

So, I have a reliable data point of one (me), plus the knowledge that MOST people are idiots, plus the fact that I don't carry keys in the same pocket as my cameras, plus good luck with carrying my Dimage X for 3 years, plus good experience with the Canon company, and finally, the belief that out of thousands of SD400s sold, only a few have developed problems. So I'll keep the SD400, I think. If it breaks, I'll let you know how wrong I was.

Still, if I can find solid evidence that Canon improved the robustness of the screen for for SD450, I'll return the 400 for the 450. Nothing's "for sure".

Thanks again.

-Jim

Michael A. Nunes Regular Member • Posts: 229

Personally, I can't wait for my SD450. I was about to jump on a SD400 for $328 the other night, but decided (for once) to just preorder and wait! I really hope I'm not disappointed when it arrives!

-- hide signature --

p at pcmike dot net

KellyM Regular Member • Posts: 282

The SD450 has a screen protector? From the pictures, it looks like the SD450 has a bare glass LCD like the rest of the SD series.

Kelly

Kimnicho wrote:

If you only bought it a week ago, perhaps you should consider
returning it since the SD450 will have a screen protector...just a
thought

Kimnicho Senior Member • Posts: 2,329

KellyM wrote:
The SD450 has a screen protector? From the pictures, it looks like
the SD450 has a bare glass LCD like the rest of the SD series.

Kelly

Kimnicho wrote:

If you only bought it a week ago, perhaps you should consider
returning it since the SD450 will have a screen protector...just a
thought

I swore I read it somewhere...you might want to post/confirm in a New Post....I apologize in advance if my memory failed me .
--
Kimnicho
Panasonic FZ-20, Sony V3, Sunpak 383
http://kimnicho.smugmug.com/
smugmug code: 13ZCJZatfoLSQ

phlewt Contributing Member • Posts: 561

Tom Hoots wrote:

Well, no.... I just did such a Google search, and got OVER 329,000
hits.

To be fair, I did a search on "Cracked screens on SD400" and got zero hits. Without the quotes, you will find all the sites that include all of the words, no matter how they relate to each other. By taking the quotes off, I get 581 hits. If I use SD instead of SD400, I get 217,000 hits.

-- hide signature --

phlewt
http://huckleberrypie.com
Powershot Pro1, S400

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads