some questions for Z750 owners

Started Aug 14, 2005 | Discussions
Artshot Sue Forum Pro • Posts: 10,236
some questions for Z750 owners

While looking for a compact camera, I was considering the Fuji F10 for it's low light abilities, until I saw that it had no viewfinder and the manual controls were minimal. I love my ancient (in digital camera terms) Olympus C-2100, and I had purchased a Pansonic FZ3, thinking I'd be more likely to take it with me for those unplanned photo ops, but it turned out to still be too bulky, so most of the time it's left at home with the UZI. I had handled the earlier Casio models and I was amazed at the size and large LCD's that they had. I still hadn't considered them seriously, but when I read Ken Rockwells outstanding review, it had me salivating... there's just a few things I'd like to know before I take the plunge:

Is the macro capability decent enough that with a good crop, it can still produce sharp macros with an acceptable amount of DOF?

Can I just plug the camera into a TV to view the videos? How about to use as a remote viewfinder? (this feature is handy on the C-2100)

I am assuming that there's no remote available for this camera, correct me if I'm wrong.
How good is the AF and is there any sort of AF assist light?

Thanks for your responses. From Ken's review, the camera almost seem to good to be true for it's size.
Sue
--

http://www.pbase.com/artshot
http://www.beatricedesignsinc.com

AsoBit Forum Member • Posts: 90
Re: some questions for Z750 owners

For the macro, here is a 100% crop of a frog I took a pic of that was maybe 1.5 inches long.

For viewing pics on TV, you have to use the dock, and they give you all the plugs needed. It is as easy as plugging into the camera itself.

As far as I know and can see, there is no remote available.

I've had no problem with AF, but sometimes I like to use manual focus. The AF assist light seems to work well. Just for low light, you'll need to either manually set the shutter, or use best shot modes to get enough light, since in auto mode, the shutter does not go below 1/8 of a second.

Hope I helped.

OP Artshot Sue Forum Pro • Posts: 10,236
Thanks!

That information helps a lot, and your frog pic is wonderful! Great macro!
Sue
--

netswap Forum Member • Posts: 77
Re: Thanks!

You don't actually need the dock with the optional cable EMC-2A (for both picture & video playback),

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1015&message=14040592

Cheers

Torben Scharling Regular Member • Posts: 129
Timeout

Don't your Z750's timeout after about 5(or10?) minutes if you use the dock and video cable and watch movies/pictures directly on the TV (through the camera)?
--

alex47 Regular Member • Posts: 118
Re: Timeout

Torben Scharling wrote:

Don't your Z750's timeout after about 5(or10?) minutes if you use
the dock and video cable and watch movies/pictures directly on the
TV (through the camera)?
--

Torben,

I use the cable a lot to show pics and video on TV. It does not time out.

luke Regular Member • Posts: 391
DOF

You can see from the frog example that the Casio does not have the DOF of other cameras. I tested mine against several other ultra compacts. In particular the Sony P200 had a much greater DOF. In some shots this looked good, in others the increased DOF seemed to take the appearance of depth out of the photo.

Re: DOF

Thanks Luke. I actually like to have shallow DOF on my macro and portrait shots, so I see this as a plus. I think the sense of depth it adds creates a more 3 dimensional image. I sometimes stack images if I am trying to increase the focus area, but I still like to see the background set back and soft.
Thanks so much for your input!
Sue

luke wrote:

You can see from the frog example that the Casio does not have the
DOF of other cameras. I tested mine against several other ultra
compacts. In particular the Sony P200 had a much greater DOF. In
some shots this looked good, in others the increased DOF seemed to
take the appearance of depth out of the photo.

Torben Scharling Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Anybody else have Timeout after 5 minutes?

I've just tested with the cradle on a sifferent tv, this time via video player's input's..it still times out afte exactly 5 minutes...

This is really annoying....

BTW. first time tested - old firmware, this time, new firmware..

Anybody else have this problem??!
--

Bart Hickman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256

All of these cameras pretty much have the same focal lengths and F-stops so, optically speaking, I don't see how there could be much difference in DOF between them.

Could it just be because Casio tends to always use a wide aperture in macro mode? Or maybe there's something funky about macro mode that invalidates f-stop/focal length calculations of DOF.

Bart

luke wrote:

You can see from the frog example that the Casio does not have the
DOF of other cameras. I tested mine against several other ultra
compacts. In particular the Sony P200 had a much greater DOF. In
some shots this looked good, in others the increased DOF seemed to
take the appearance of depth out of the photo.

Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more

Your much more technically knowledgable than me, but in the sample photos of flowers I took the Sony always had the leaves in the background in focus, whereas the Casio always had a soft out of focus background.
All shots were no zoom.

You've all been really helpful! One more question:

I've been reading past threads until my eyes hurt... and despite the minor and occasional flawed camera, I'm still dying to get my hands on one of these gems. I'm hoping that the actual possibility of getting one with a lens error or focusing issue is rather small, but it does give me pause. Is Casio customer service pretty decent if you need to send in your camera for a fix under warranty? I'll probably have to purchase from an online dealer in order to afford the camera to start with, so I'll be depending on the warranty to rescue me if I get a lemon.

Sue
--

Bart Hickman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,256

So we know both cameras focal lengths were about 8mm. My only question would then be what were the F-stop settings in both cases?

Bart

Bart Hickman's gear list:Bart Hickman's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +10 more
Dave W. Senior Member • Posts: 1,582
Clarifying lens error one more time...

Lens error is a defense mechanism of this camera and some others to something blocking the lens from sticking out. If you hold your finger in front of the lens and turn the camera on, you'll get the lens error everytime. Same with turning it on inside a case or pocket. The lens stops coming out and the lens error message appears on the LCD. Turning the camera off then on gets things back to normal.

Getting a lens error isn't a worry. Complications resulting in some cases is the only worry. A small minority of people have had focusing problems afterward. I've had two lens error messages happen to me from my fingers blocking the lens and no complications so far.

Dave, I have learned from the threads here...

about the simple ways to help minimize the risk of this, so I'm not too worried. I have read several stories of faulty cameras in regards to focusing issues and areas of bluriness indicating a flawed unit. In fairness, I understand that this is something that occurs with most cameras from most manufacturers... so I just wondered what sort of service Casio has offered when someone did need to send a unit in for replacement or repair. I hope it didn't sound as though I expected to have an issue, I think the lens error thing may have been a bit overblown anyway.
Sue

Dave W. wrote:

Lens error is a defense mechanism of this camera and some others to
something blocking the lens from sticking out. If you hold your
finger in front of the lens and turn the camera on, you'll get the
lens error everytime. Same with turning it on inside a case or
pocket. The lens stops coming out and the lens error message
appears on the LCD. Turning the camera off then on gets things back
to normal.

Getting a lens error isn't a worry. Complications resulting in
some cases is the only worry. A small minority of people have had
focusing problems afterward. I've had two lens error messages
happen to me from my fingers blocking the lens and no complications
so far.

I can only assume 2.8, but I will see if I can dig up the photos and check the EXIF, since you have me interested in why the P200's in focus area seemed to be so large even when the comparison photos were done with exactly the same zoom, one right after the other, from the same position.

different f

I checked and the cameras did choose a different f for the same photo. Where the Casio chose 2.8, the Sony chose 5.6.

Dale Raver New Member • Posts: 17
Timeout Settings

Unless I'm mistaken, the timeout length is adjusted in the Slideshow settings off of the Play main menu.

From playback mode select Slideshow, then Time, then left & right arrows to set time.

I've used it on settings of 10 min. but the range is 1 to 60 on my camera.

Am I missing something?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads