20D - improved Katz Eye focsuing screen - Part 1/1

Started Aug 13, 2005 | Discussions
georgewa New Member • Posts: 18
Re: I can do that

One would assume you mean $55 to cut a K3 that we sent you? Do you have access to K3 screens, and what would the total cost be if you supplied the K3 screen and cut it for the 20D? Would you agree that a cut K3 is better than your original Haoda 20D screen?

Do you have another screen that you think is better than a cut K3 for the 20D? Why is it better and what is its cost?

Thank you.

W.G.

haoda Regular Member • Posts: 149
Re: I can do that

This issue have been discussed on my yahoo group.
I do not think it is better. It depends on what you need.

Please refer to the following link.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/screen4DSLR/message/199

-- hide signature --

Haoda Fu
Haoda Split Image Focusing Screen On Canon DSLR
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/screen4DSLR/

CCarv Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: Installed the enhanced screen in 20D

I used lense cleaning solution on it the last time and used small burst of air. Not sure if this way is best, but after several bad tries this last one worked.

Charles

Curator Contributing Member • Posts: 868

CCarv wrote:

I used lense cleaning solution on it the last time and used small
burst of air. Not sure if this way is best, but after several bad
tries this last one worked.

Charles

Thanks! As soon as I get enough nerve to take it apart again, I'll give that a try

Rachael7 Forum Member • Posts: 82

Curator wrote:

CCarv wrote:

I used lense cleaning solution on it the last time and used small
burst of air. Not sure if this way is best, but after several bad
tries this last one worked.

Charles

Thanks! As soon as I get enough nerve to take it apart again, I'll
give that a try

Please be very careful about using lens cleaning solutions on the focusing screen, as some of them can damage the screen. If you need to use a liquid cleaner to loosen stuck dust particles, the best thing to do is rinse it in clear water and then blow it dry with your air puffer. Blow drying is important to prevent water spotting. In extreme cases, you can use mild dishwashing liquid in the water and a very very soft brush, followed by a thorough rinse and a blow dry. But I do not recommend commercial cleaning solutions, since many of them can damage the screen. If you need more detailed instructions, feel free to contact me.

Rachael

Racheal,

Now you have me losing sleep!! How am I to know if I have damaged the screen?? I am not noticing any scratches, but would the damage be something I would notice? There goes my peaceful rest tonight.

Charles

Rachael7 Forum Member • Posts: 82

CCarv wrote:

Racheal,
Now you have me losing sleep!! How am I to know if I have damaged
the screen?? I am not noticing any scratches, but would the damage
be something I would notice? There goes my peaceful rest tonight.

Charles

Relax Charles - if it looks ok to you then you haven't damaged it. Some commercial lens cleaning solutions will actually soften the plastic the screen is made of. If this had occurred, you would notice smears on the surface which would be readily visible in the viewfinder. If it still looks good, then breath easy, for all is well

Rachael

Thanks Racheal...... I am going back to sleep now.

DancePhotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,316
Getting the dust out

I started by blowing out the mirror box, cleaning it with a charged brush and the discharging it with a Zerostat gun. I blew off and brushed the replacement screen with a charged brush. The same with the AF point screen.

PN Regular Member • Posts: 234
What other focussing screens are conceivable?

So the Nikon K3 is (among?) the brightest, and used by Katz Eye.
So the K2 is nice also

The Contax FU-... works, but is significantly darker.

The Nikon F3-screens results in backfocus unless lowered into the camera, so the edge has to be worked to make them fit.

No need, you say?

But then, Nikon has very interesting focussing screens for the F-series, some of which still seem to be available.

For instance the H-screens (available in four types) has no split screen, but has microprisms allover! No need to focus in the center, you can focus anywhere, but the non focussed image might look strange. What is it intended for? According to Nikon it was intended for sports photography, i.e. fast focussing, no time to reposition the camera, etc. I would really like to try such a screen, as I take a lot of pictures in near darkness with wide apertures, social dancing. While my Contax screen is quite helpful, both framing and focussing remains difficult.

But then, the type H screens are not available for the Fm bodies, but for the F bodies only (with the above mentioned back focus problem)?

What other types of screens would be interesting?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads