20D - improved Katz Eye focsuing screen - Part 1/1

Started Aug 13, 2005 | Discussions
PN Regular Member • Posts: 234
Re: Canon sells the original 20D matte screen for 4,05 Euros + VAT

steve szenkovics wrote:

I also installed the Contax FU4 screen but I found it a little too
dark so I went for the Nikon FE K2 screen. The screen is much
brighter and the microprism is also larger.

The FE screen fits just fine whithout the spacer.

Very interesting.

If you have
frontfocus perhaps you have the shiny side up and not down.

I checked again, I have front focus with a single lens, maybe that is due to the design of the lens.

Is "microprism is also larger" an advantage?

Cheers,
PN

OP Doug Kerr Forum Pro • Posts: 20,898
Shift of split-prism focus at small aperture

Hi, P,

PN wrote:

But here is the surprise: While the split prism reacts consistently
until up to F5,6, it will shift beyond that, i.e. using it at F8
would result in front focus!

Interesting. I have not really done any testing with regard to such a phenomenon. I'll try and do some such. It will have ti be after the weekend, as we will be out of town at Carlaqs;' graddaughter's wedding (a two-camera shoot).

It will take a bit of setup. I am not a believer in "agricultural" focus accuracy tests!

I'll have to give some thought as to which might be the "theoretical" basis foir such a phenomenon, if it really occurs.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr's gear list:Doug Kerr's gear list
Leica V-Lux 4
But it's always great to see the earnest activity . . .

. . . by hobbyists. Ity's great that not every part of our hobby has become inaccessible except to commercial enterprises.

At the same time, I'm glad that these items are now available colmmercially, as not all of us are skilled with a Bridgeport milling machine/Dremel Mototool/machinist's file/hatchet, depending on one's choice of weapon, or care to spend our time or effort in that arena.

Myself, when I was younger, I used to build my own telephone PBXs (and, earlier yet, as a ham, radio trannsmitters). (But not receivers - well, except for some special portable VHF monitors!)

Best regards,

Doug

Visit The Pumpkin, a library of my technical articles on photography, optics, and other topics:

http://doug.kerr.home.att.net/pumpkin

My EOS 20D must be a point and shoot camera - I find out that if I don't point, I get erratic results; if I don't shoot, I get no results.

Leica V-Lux 4

steve szenkovics wrote:

It really fits perfectly? A German guy tried the F3 K screen and got front focus with it, so he had to remove 0,3mm of the edge to lower it towards the Prism.

steve szenkovics Contributing Member • Posts: 797

The F3 screen is thicker than the FE/FA screens.

I'm thinking about picking up a milling machine that can handle cutting focusing screen with more precise specs from existing Nikon screens.

I'm wondering if its worth the cost. Its about $1000 USD and its computer controller much like a computer controlled engraving machine that you see at malls.

Regards,

Steve

PN wrote:

steve szenkovics wrote:

It really fits perfectly? A German guy tried the F3 K screen and
got front focus with it, so he had to remove 0,3mm of the edge to
lower it towards the Prism.

steve szenkovics wrote:

The F3 screen is thicker than the FE/FA screens.

I'm thinking about picking up a milling machine that can handle
cutting focusing screen with more precise specs from existing Nikon
screens.

I'm wondering if its worth the cost. Its about $1000 USD and its
computer controller much like a computer controlled engraving
machine that you see at malls.

Looking at the shipping numbers of Haoda, you might just finance your machine, but not the work you put into it. Hey, you are about to compete with the other screen sawers ... but then you have to complete the supply chain (order sufficient screens). And then, the inventiveness of Rachael's marketing has to be matched. I think she does a great PR work. "plus screen", etc ...

But I agree with you, I too would love to have such a machine ...

cheers,

Peter

I assumed Steve . . .

. . . was only talking about getting the milling machine to make screens for himself.

It's really nice to be self-contained.

Best regards,

Doug

Leica V-Lux 4
Re: Advertising.... no difference

Hi, Jim,

Jim Campbell wrote:

between these posts and all the info on the 5D or D200. I for one
would welcome Canon getting more involved in these discussions as
they seem to do in other forums.

Such as which forums?

Best regards,

Doug

Leica V-Lux 4
Make it match your camera

Hi, Thomas,

trottig wrote:

I was wondering,
when modifying the focussing screen anyway, wouldnt it be a great
feature to display the actual size of the AF focus points while one
is at it? Nothing fancy, no highlighting o/c, just a rectangle
depicting the actual size.

In fact, maybe they could even show exactly were those areas of sensitivity fall on your particular camera.

You could have that plotted in a lab and send the results to the screen manufacturer, who would make a custom screen to match your camera.

Best regards,

Doug

Leica V-Lux 4
mike rinnan Regular Member • Posts: 442
awesomeness

thanks for all the info - this is the kind of post that prooves the value of sifting through dpforums. a gem a day is all i need

Re: I assumed Steve . . .

Thats correct Doug,

I would love to play with different screens on my D60 and 10D plus the machine would be used to support other hobbies.

I'm sure my friends would benefit from it but thats all.

Too busy with my regular job and my family not to mention hobbies.

Regards,

Steve

Doug Kerr wrote:

. . . was only talking about getting the milling machine to make
screens for himself.

It's really nice to be self-contained.

Best regards,

Doug

It's a K3 screen for Nikon FM3a, delivered in its original box

No idea about "Hi lux treatment", but for the rest, Katz Eye seems tu buy Nikon K3 screens from some source and mills them to the shape of the intended camera. According to this site in Taiwan, Nikon's K3 box is even reused and relabelled for packaging. Nikon's K3 screen was famed for not blacking out up to F11. It was the original screen of the FM3a, so it is a spare part, not an accessory. It also has this strange circle you see on the Katz Eye screens. Possibly, the "originally" used screen was the slightly darker K2 then. On the pictures of the site, you can also see from more closely how the screen has been cut.

http://www.photosharp.com.tw/FORUM/ArticleList.aspx?ForumId=4&TopicId=107361

So for DIY geeks, be sure to order the K3 as spare part from your local Nikon service center. Otherwise, soon Katz Eye and others will have bought all of them

You can expect a price around 30 USD.

Re: It's a K3 screen for Nikon FM3a, delivered in its original box

Interesting

check this link for more in the K3 screen

http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonfmseries/fm3a/manual/htmls/screens.htm

It does state that the new K3 screen is much brighter than the K2 I'm using. Which is also brighter than the Contax Fu4 that I had earliier.

I will pick one up and give it a go. My local dealer has one in stock so I will have it installed by some time next week.

Regards,

Steve

PN wrote:

No idea about "Hi lux treatment", but for the rest, Katz Eye seems
tu buy Nikon K3 screens from some source and mills them to the
shape of the intended camera. According to this site in Taiwan,
Nikon's K3 box is even reused and relabelled for packaging. Nikon's
K3 screen was famed for not blacking out up to F11. It was the
original screen of the FM3a, so it is a spare part, not an
accessory. It also has this strange circle you see on the Katz Eye
screens. Possibly, the "originally" used screen was the slightly
darker K2 then. On the pictures of the site, you can also see from
more closely how the screen has been cut.

http://www.photosharp.com.tw/FORUM/ArticleList.aspx?ForumId=4&TopicId=107361

So for DIY geeks, be sure to order the K3 as spare part from your
local Nikon service center. Otherwise, soon Katz Eye and others
will have bought all of them

You can expect a price around 30 USD.

trottig Forum Member • Posts: 79
Re: Make it match your camera

Actually i emailed Rachael about this and atm she cant do rectangular markings as her equipment is not up to it. She is planning on custom markings later this year though.

On the other hand she is already able to add Rules-of-Thirds based lines to the screen Its not cheap ($60), but i'm definetely considering it...

CCarv Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: 20D - improved Katz Eye focsuing screen - Part 1/1

I just today received my new focusing screen from Katz Eye Optics. I received the new screen with the Enhanced Prism Upgrade and Hi-Lux treatment. I have to say I am accustomed to working on electronics, but the idea of working on my 1500 dollar camera was VERY intimidating!!

Upon studying the instructions on Katz website I decided to go for it despite my hesitation. The whole process took me about 15 minutes initially. It would not routinely take that amount of time, but I was checking, reading, checking, reading again and re-checking just to be sure I had it all right.

I got the camera back together and everything worked, BUT I could now see dust where i did not see any before. I could also see the slightest amoutn of the PRIZM not being perfectly centered within the center most focus spot.

I called and spoke with Racheal about this and she was MOST helpful!! She advised this had no affect on the workings of the camera, but if I wanted to fix it she told me how. It was simply a matter of sliding the focus screen the slightest amount left or right to center in the viewfinder. Again, there was NO manufacturing defect and most people probably would not have worried about this, but I did and wanted it to look like the high class camera in all respects that i believe this camera to be.

Anyway, after 4 more attempts I was finally satisfied that everything was perfectly centered and I finally got rid of all my dust issues as each time I opened the camera I was cleaning again.

My recommendation would to be sure you clean the new focus screen and the camera VERY well before starting. The focus screen came from Katz Eye clean, but obviously dust in the room had settled on it during the surgery.

The camera seems to be functioning perfectly except for the operator, but that was the problem before the surgery as well.

Anyway, thanks Rachael for the great product. This upgrade may not be worthwhile to everyone, but for me I have LONGGGGGG missed the center focus spot on the newer autofocus cameras. I am glad to have my old trusty focus ring back. I feel much more assured when having to fus the camera manually.

Happy Shooting!!!

DancePhotographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,316
Installed the enhanced screen in 20D

This screen is stunning! It is a HUGE pain to get everything completely dust free, but that is the most difficult part of the install. It was nice to test out all my lenses and confirm that they focus spot on, sigma and Canon alike.

The circles line up perfectly and the layout is not distracting. When shooting in complete AF mode, you can just ignore the extra information without difficulty. When you are in MF mode or need to confirm AF, the screen is fantastic!

Was it worth it? Very much so.

georgewa New Member • Posts: 18
Re:Nikon K3 Screen Modified for 20D

It sounds like the K3 is the way to go. It's too bad some technically inclined person couldn't cut the K3 to 20D size and charge a reasonable amount for the modified screen. The new K3 costs $40. Even with 100% mark-up, that is $80, not $140. Everyone would jump on that, as it would be a win-win situation for everyone.
W.G.

haoda Regular Member • Posts: 149
I can do that

If anyone are interested in using K3 screen to modified.
I can help you to cut it. The price is $55 which include
cutting, shipping and handling. But you need to wait
aoubt a few weeks for modification.

-- hide signature --

Haoda Fu
Haoda Split Image Focusing Screen On Canon DSLR
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/screen4DSLR/

Re: I can do that

haoda wrote:

If anyone are interested in using K3 screen to modified.
I can help you to cut it. The price is $55 which include
cutting, shipping and handling. But you need to wait
aoubt a few weeks for modification.

Why don't you use K3s as raw material then?

Curator Contributing Member • Posts: 868
Re: Installed the enhanced screen in 20D

DancePhotographer wrote:

This screen is stunning! It is a HUGE pain to get everything
completely dust free, but that is the most difficult part of the
install. It was nice to test out all my lenses and confirm that
they focus spot on, sigma and Canon alike.

The circles line up perfectly and the layout is not distracting.
When shooting in complete AF mode, you can just ignore the extra
information without difficulty. When you are in MF mode or need to
confirm AF, the screen is fantastic!

Was it worth it? Very much so.

How did you get rid of the dust (blower, cleaning solution, etc.)? I received and installed mine a few days ago, and haven't been able to get rid of al the dust yet. I've tried using a blower, but there are still several small hair-like particles visible. It's probably much more noticeable since this screen is so much brighter than the stock screen!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads