Ring flash for portrait/glamor?

Started Jun 25, 2005 | Discussions
gilo Junior Member • Posts: 30
Ring flash for portrait/glamor?

I read that ring flashes can be used not only for macro, but, if powerful enough they are quite good also for portrait/glmour photography. In this case are they normally used on their own or in combination with other lights? Anybody who has expereince using ringflashes for this type of photography?

For a Canon 20D would the Sigma EM-140 DG be a good choice or are there any other dedicated (or not) ring flashes that one can choose from?
Thanks
Gilo

Peter Berressem Forum Pro • Posts: 10,647
Re: Ring flash for portrait/glamor?

If you try the Sigma on a distance of, say, 8 feet you'd see the lack of power for this task. There are ring flashes with suiting flash power for this purpose, look at Hensel, Bowens, Profoto etc.
--
Kind regards,
Peter B.
(Pardon my English - not my native tongue)

OP gilo Junior Member • Posts: 30

Thanks, but those work only connected to a power pack, am I right? Is there any ring flash powerful enough that would work on its own batteries like a normal on camera flash?

Yes, you're right, they work with an external 'generator' . The desired power, in conjunction with the quite ineffective outcome, can not be integrated into the flash head.

Some manufacturers offer packs with battery for external use (Profoto, Hensel, Bron, Elinchrom...) and a suiting ring flash. Most rental outlets have them in their range, perhaps you rent first?
--
Kind regards,
Peter B.

Primax Contributing Member • Posts: 987

Also, if you're using a ringflash, you'll more than likely want to use it alone and not with other lights as that tends to take away the whole ringflash effect. The ringflash is neat becuase it is a shadowless light source and when you start throwing other lights in the mix obviously you'll start to create some shadows so its best used on its own.

-- hide signature --
for primax

Dan, just visited your site and must say, I like your very own, bright style.
Sorry, gilo, back to the thread.
--
Kind regards,
Peter B.

Primax Contributing Member • Posts: 987
thanks! (nm)
-- hide signature --
Ted Wilson
Ted Wilson Senior Member • Posts: 1,046
Actually, a RF makes a great fill light

It is used as a fill quit often in fashion, but it is not as noticeable as when it is the main light.

-- hide signature --

Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has
genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

http://www.tedwilsonphoto.com/

Ted Wilson's gear list:Ted Wilson's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +12 more
muffins Regular Member • Posts: 285
Re: Agreed, superb nt

RDKirk Forum Pro • Posts: 16,025
Check Fred Miranda' site

A guy at Fred Miranda's forum made a ringflash using a couple of Vivitar 283 type flashes. Do a search on the lighting and studio forum over there for it.

-- hide signature --

RDKirk
'TANSTAAFL: The only unbreakable rule in photography.'

RDKirk's gear list:RDKirk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 80D Canon EF 24mm f/2.8 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads