Adapter ring + Polarizer + Teleconverter ???

Started Jun 14, 2005 | Discussions
alexandr6868 Regular Member • Posts: 347
Adapter ring + Polarizer + Teleconverter ???

Has anyone tried the above combination in any camera that gets an adapter ring and an Tele-converter?

I mean, can you put the adaptor ring on, then screw the polarizer on the adaptor ring, and on the front filter thread of the polirizer (mine has one, and I think most have) screw the tele-converter?

This way the polarizer is "sandwiched" between the adapter ring and the tele-converter. Will this impact the quality of the image?

I have a G6 and think of ordering the LA-DC58D and TC-DC58N, so I would really like to know how I can use a polarizer with the teleconverter (other than just holding a really big one with one hand in front of the lens!). You see, we have lots of sunny days with blue skies here (especially now in summer) and using a polarizer is quite important!

Thanks
George

orpheo Forum Member • Posts: 81
Re: Adapter ring + Polarizer + Teleconverter ???

hello alexander

just tried that combination with my G3. It works, meaning, the polar-filter still does its job. And thinking about what that job is, I would guess there is no quality difference whether the polarfilter is up front or "sandwiched".

Living in a less sunny country (I envy you!) I mostly use the polarfilter to cut out unwanted reflections in windows. But since I don't have that big one to hold in front, I cannot really help you much further even though the weather is supposed to be fine the next few days

I can only assure you that the TC-DC58N is high-quality. You will loose some of the wide-angle-zoom-positions though, because of the adapter.

have fun in the sun
orpheo

OP alexandr6868 Regular Member • Posts: 347

Thanks a lot orpheo, you were very helpful!

I am glad to hear that TC-DC58N is of good quality, since you give quite a lot of money to get it!

As about the polarizer, I was worried because the tele-converter would be (with the polarizer in-between) a few milimeters farther away from the lens, and I didn't know whether this could cause problems. But since you didn't notice any problem using this combination, probably I wan't notice any as well!

Thanks again.
George

oddlegs Regular Member • Posts: 131

It's also possible with the wide converter, but this may happen..
http://www.pbase.com/haunted_chipshop/image/43444071
--
Oddlegs
http://www.pbase.com/haunted_chipshop

Interesting! Is this because of the few milimeters that the wide converter gets further from the lens? Fortunately, I am not getting a wide converter (although I would like too, but too much money)!

George

So, that means, whithout the polarizer there would be no problem with vigneting. Canon obviously fixed that with the G6, because with my G3 plus converter I always get that (actually worse than that), even without polarizer or only polarizer. Thats what I meant by "loosing some of the wide-angle..."

hello George

I know, it's expensive. But worth it, if you need a little more range now and then. Of course it means two pieces more to carry around and screw on, yet I never noticed a quality problem with my 4MP. Since G6 still has the same lens as G3, I think it should work out fine even wiht 7MP.

Well, playing around with "your" combination a bit today, I noticed that autofocus seems to have a little more trouble focussing at times. But this was a rather low light indoors situation, which is not your problem. If I get around to it, I'll try a few shots outdoors tomorrow. It's supposed to be sunny here
But the pics were nice and sharp as usual.

But did you ever try the ND function? I mean instead of using a polarizer. I've used it once in a while and it seemed to cut down light fairly neutral.

greetings, orpheo

Toedtoes Contributing Member • Posts: 606

I do this exact thing all the time. In addition, because I leave the adapter on all the time with a UV filter on the end, I actually have 2 filters between the adapter and the teleconverter. I don't notice any change in the photo quality. I'm not sure on the wide angle as I haven't gotten that yet. Also, remember the adapter and teleconverter will both block your onboard flash and viewfinder some.

I do this exact thing all the time. In addition, because I leave
the adapter on all the time with a UV filter on the end, I actually
have 2 filters between the adapter and the teleconverter. I don't
notice any change in the photo quality.

That's great!

I'm not sure on the wide
angle as I haven't gotten that yet. Also, remember the adapter and
teleconverter will both block your onboard flash and viewfinder
some.

Yes, I know that, I have to use an external flash (although you mostly use the teleconverter to shoot long distances, where the flash is mostly of no use). I also don't usually use the viewfinder as it doesn't show what camera will really capture.

Thanks!

George

orpheo wrote:

So, that means, whithout the polarizer there would be no problem
with vigneting. Canon obviously fixed that with the G6, because
with my G3 plus converter I always get that (actually worse than
that), even without polarizer or only polarizer. Thats what I meant
by "loosing some of the wide-angle..."

You mean you get vignetting when you have the lens at wide-angle positions, or even when it is at tele positions?

No. I've examined that again. I DON'T get any vignetting with the adapter plus polarizer. It's the teleconverter that does the vignetting. The usable zoom range with the teleconverter is only about 135-245mm instead of 60-245mm. With the polarizer sandwiched this drops to about 175-245mm.

greetings, orpheo

So I did a bit of testing in broad daylight today and compared crops with / without polarizer sandwiched. In most cases the picture quality didn't change. Only when enlarged strongly, the pics with polarizer tended to be a little less sharp. But that might be due to relatively long exposure times of around 1/80s (my polarizer cuts down the available light by approx. 2/3) at full tele.

But some objects I definitely couldn't get as sharp as without the polarizer. For example a silver-coloured motorbike glinting in the sun.

See some examples at (318kB) http://wurf.atelierdelphin.ch/ad/augenblicke/samples-1.htm

Now you decide. And enjoy the wunderful greek summer. Yassou!

orpheo

vegaspro Forum Member • Posts: 97

Orpheo

Thanks for posting the three photos comparing with and without polarizer with the tele converter. Sorry to say that the iamges with the polarizer are shocking, much more blurred than without the polarizer. You indicate that these are cropped images. I wonder what percent of the original image is shown. If this is only a small percentage of the original, then use of the polarizer between the lenses would be ok.

Based on the photos, I think it would be worthwhile to remove the polarizer. An interesting test would be to compare four situaitons.

1. Cropped image with no teleconverter.
2. Cropped image with polarizer.
2. Image with tele converter.
3. Image with tele converter plus polarizer.

I am very pleased with the sharpness of my G6, making up to 16x24 inch prints. Anything that reduces sharpness would not make me happy.

I will buy the tele converter and try. Since I am going on cruises through French Polynesia this year and Greek Islands next year, I want to be prepared.

Thanks for your help.

vegaspro Forum Member • Posts: 97
Are there screw threads on end of tele-converter

Are there screw threads on the end of tele converter. There sure should be. If so, what mm diameter filter is needed.

Thanks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads