The Sunday Bee is now The Sunday Close-Up, Vol. 1 #5, June 12, 2005

Started Jun 12, 2005 | Discussions
Tony Finnerty Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
The Sunday Bee is now The Sunday Close-Up, Vol. 1 #5, June 12, 2005

The Sunday Bee is a great name for this thread, but puts too much emphasis on, well..., bees . I want potential contributors to know that any type of close-up photo fits in this thread, not just bees and bugs so I'm changing the name to The Sunday Close-Up, which still retains a newspaper kind of flavor while being more inclusive of all kinds of close-up photos. I'm also expanding the photo subjects from close-ups of living objects to any kind of close-up.

Because Digital Zuiko lens focus unusually close, all of them can be used to take close-up photos. How often do you set the 50-200mm lens at 200mm and minimum focus? Try it and see what appears in your viewfinder, you'll be amazed! And if you have the teleconverter, you've got a macro lens that gives lots of working distance. The 14-54mm lens doesn't work with the teleconverter over its entire zoom range, but it focuses very close without the TC and is a near-macro lens all by itself. And of course there is the 50mm f/2 Macro lens, a 1:2 macro lens by itself or 1:1 macro with the TC. I'm not sure of how close the kit lenses with the E-300 can focus, so post some photos and show us.

Walk around for an hour with your lens - any lens - kept at minimum focus and see what you can capture. Enjoy the different challenges of composition, background, lighting and depth of field. This thread is a good place to describe what you do and ask questions. If you list basic EXIF data, e.g., lens, camera, focal length, f-stop, shutter speed, flash setup (if any), tripod, we can learn more from each other, but post those photos for us to enjoy even if you don't have that info handy.

So you don't have to wait for a photo to appear every time you click this thread, my first photos for this week are in the next message.

-- hide signature --
OP Tony Finnerty Senior Member • Posts: 2,581
Desert Fivespot

Here are a couple photos taken during the spectacular 2005 wildflower bloom in Death Valley last March, of Desert Fivespot (Eremalch rotundifolia).

The plant in perspective:

Both photos were taken with the 50mm f/2 Macro lens on the E-1 at ISO 200 and f/8. Shutter speeds were 1/640 sec for the first photo and 1/1000 sec for the second. Handheld, no flash.

-- hide signature --
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,625
Typical!

I take this shot just for you ..... and you change the name of the thread!!

daank Contributing Member • Posts: 522
Dragonfly

Is this close-up enough?

E1, OM bellows and 50/3.5 OM Macro, reversed. FL50.

A 1:1 pixel view of the same image.

-- hide signature --

Daan

Pictures of insects at:
http://www.kalmeijer.net

Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,625
Re: Dragonfly

daank wrote:

Is this close-up enough?

There's close .... and there's TOO close!!
Pretty awesome shot (I take it is was dead!)

E1, OM bellows and 50/3.5 OM Macro, reversed. FL50.

Do you happen to know how much difference there is using say a normal (non macro) OM lens like the 50mm f1.8 as is and reversed on the bellows when compared to the genuine oly macro lenses ??

fz20newbie Forum Member • Posts: 53
My attemp at macro...

Taken with E-300, 50mm f2macro, fl-36 at ISO 400, f8

Critiques are welcome... thanks

Bobby J Veteran Member • Posts: 5,089
OK Tony, I was saving the spider for

the Sunday Bee...but when it didn't materialize I posted it anyway. So here is a pic of a Blackberry Blossom instead. Not as interesting as the dragonfly...but prettier!

E-1, 50mac, f8, FL-36

-- hide signature --

BJM

Bobby J's gear list:Bobby J's gear list
Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Re: My attemp at macro...

That's pretty, nothing wrong with that. FL-36 does a great job doesn't it.
--
BJM

Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
eyespy Senior Member • Posts: 1,797
Standard len close-up.

Tony Finnerty wrote:

I'm not sure of how close the kit lenses with the E-300 can focus, so post some > photos and show us.

Here U go. E300 + 14-45mm and built-in flash:
The second pic is a crop of the first.

http://www.pbase.com/fuji602z
--
If it moves shoot it
eyespy.

eyespy's gear list:eyespy's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro
Re: Typical!

Hey Gareth, the flower makes that picture! Spectacular colors, good composition with the stem coming up at an angle, the colors are repeated in the OOF background, and the bee is a bonus. It's a typically good photo from you.

-- hide signature --
Wow!

Spectacular, Daan, so close that the original photo and crop take on an abstract look. I especially enjoy the lensing effect of the water droplets on the compound eyes.

What is the effect of reversing a lens that is already a macro? Even closer focusing? What was your working distance?

-- hide signature --
Re: My attemp at macro...

If that's just an attempt, I can't wait 'til you get serious about macro! The FL-36 did a great job and the brilliant pinkish-red of the flower looks really good against a dark background.
--
Tony
http://flipperty.smugmug.com

Re: OK Tony, I was saving the spider for

That's a wonderful composition, Bobby! I really like the pattern of anthers in the fresh flower being repeated by the OOF older flowers in the background.
--
Tony

Re: Standard len close-up.

That's amazing! The 14-45 focuses plenty close, is plenty sharp, and the E-300 has the pixels to support significant "magnification" by cropping. Thanks for posting that beautiful example. I hope others are inspired to try their lenses, whatever they have, at closest focus.
--
Tony

Thanks Tony

I appreciate your comment and I'm pleased that you like the shot. I guess I can go back there and pick blackberries now.--
BJM

Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,945
Re: The Sunday Bee is now The Sunday Close-Up, Vol. 1 #5, June 12, 2005

I can't figure out what up with this shot. Viewed up close downsampled for the web it looks weird but if you open it so you can see the whole thing and sit back it really looks 3D. The print I made is sorta like this too though not like the downsampled one is.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony a7 Nikon D4 +19 more
Leejay Wu Senior Member • Posts: 2,995
Re: The Sunday Bee is now The Sunday Close-Up, Vol. 1 #5, June 12, 2005

My own meager attempt at a dragonfly today. Well, the best of a series of attempts, anyway.

No crop, but downsized 75% along each dimension. The ugly brown background is the murky water of the small pond it was hanging around. Full version for the bandwidth-happy available at

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~lw2j/Thumbnails/FULL/2005-06-12-1105_dragonfly_side_close.jpg
if for some reason anybody wants to check that. It's about 3.1MB.

Taken with the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 at 200mm, with EX-25 extension tube attached. Minimum focusing distance, 1/250s, f/8, ISO 400. Natural light, quasi-handheld -- I was either kneeling or prone at the time (don't quite remember), so wasn't able to brace very well using my monopod (hiking staff, really, with a cheap-ass Bogen 1-d tilt head attached). Could have used more DOF, but I suspected that neither the FL-50 nor FL-20 is great for this kind of work. I might look into it next time.

Also,

50% crop of some Lepidopteran. Shot with the 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 again, but this time with the EC-14 attached. f/8, 283mm, 1/160s, ISO 400. One of two individuals of likely the same species which both appeared intensely paranoid and active in the mid-80 degree weather, so hence the EC-14 instead of the EX-25. Probably have used the monopod for this shot.

Leejay Wu's gear list:Leejay Wu's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Duncan McKlowd Senior Member • Posts: 1,313
14-54 closeup

I posted this before, but because I got nuttin' new, here we go again.

Just a quick pic I took handheld by lamplight.

Leejay Wu Senior Member • Posts: 2,995
Re: Dragonfly

This is the sort of shot to make a person insanely jealous.

Leejay Wu's gear list:Leejay Wu's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +3 more
Stacey_K
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,945
Less "weird" looking?

Stacey_K wrote:

I can't figure out what up with this shot. Viewed up close
downsampled for the web it looks weird but if you open it so you
can see the whole thing and sit back it really looks 3D. The print
I made is sorta like this too though not like the downsampled one
is.

Selectively toned down the sharpening in a few spots, this seems OK now?

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Sony a7 Nikon D4 +19 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads