Any Tamron 28-75 users here?

Started May 14, 2005 | Discussions
Howard Yune Regular Member • Posts: 292
Any Tamron 28-75 users here?

I'm a Rebel XT shooter, and therefore a mere peon. But as a pretty satisfied user of the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, I couldn't help but read those comments about it being the poor man's Canon 24-70 L. So I wonder... how many of you actually DO use the Tamron on a 1D or 1Ds body? I'm just curious.

Thanks,
Howard

YLS Regular Member • Posts: 374
Great lens

I have both the 28-75 tamron and canon 24-70 L 2.8. I primarily use the canon on the 1D and 1DsII and the tamron on the 20D. I have extensively compared the tamron to the canon on my 1DsII body and found very little difference in optical performance. Mechanically the canon wins but the tamron is a good lens mechanically. The only real optical differences are that the canon is very slightly sharper at the extreme corners and the tamron is a little better under back lit conditions. It handles flare a little better than the canon.

You'll find some camera snobs that turn their nose up about anything other than canon but don't listen to them. I don't thin some of them have even shot enough with either to make an honest evaluation. On the otherhand I own both and have shot thousands of frames professionally with both lenses and my clients have never known the difference.

jdee Regular Member • Posts: 169
Tamron, good lens, not for fast action

I have the tamron lens and I think optically it's just great. However, the zoom ring has a long throw and is a bit stiff which I don't like. Also, while the focus is ok it's not nearly as accurate or as fast as USM. For most things this isn't a problem, but for fast moving action or sports you just can't beet USM focusing.

Of course when you factor in price, all the little problems can be ignored. It certainly is a great lens at a killer price.

Erika Contributing Member • Posts: 843
Re: Great lens

I too own both lenses and I think Canon should be ashamed of itself. Charging so much for the L lense when this one comes so close!
--
Erika Lemberger

mark kay Veteran Member • Posts: 5,477
Re: Any Tamron 28-75 users here?

i never would have believed it but if you get a good copy, it is as good as my canon 24-70L... But seeing is believing for me.

Jay Farrell Regular Member • Posts: 204

Yes, it is an excellent lens and I have trouble telling a difference between that and my 17-40L, quality wise. I have not tried it with action shots per se, but it has done great with my 10D and my 1D M2. However images are softer when shot at full focal length, especially at wide open aperture (I frequently shoot at 2.8. Unless you test both that lens and the Canon L lens and see a difference worth noting, then I highly recommend that Tamron, regardless of what anyone else says.

J i m Contributing Member • Posts: 534

Excellent lens. Especially when you consider the cost. I would probably rather have a 24-70L, but there is no way I can justify the difference in price.

A lot has been posted about good and bad copies of the Tamron. I must have lucked out. I tested mine against my 28mm Zeiss prime. I sold my CZ the next day. There wasn't enough of a difference (if there was any it was in the Tamrons' favor) to keep the CZ around.

I wish Tamron would come out with more primes....like a 21mm f/2.8 that would match the performance of the CZ.
Jim

thx1138
thx1138 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,159
I wish Tamron would develop USM

J i m wrote:

Excellent lens. Especially when you consider the cost. I would
probably rather have a 24-70L, but there is no way I can justify
the difference in price.

A lot has been posted about good and bad copies of the Tamron. I
must have lucked out. I tested mine against my 28mm Zeiss prime. I
sold my CZ the next day. There wasn't enough of a difference (if
there was any it was in the Tamrons' favor) to keep the CZ around.

I wish Tamron would come out with more primes....like a 21mm f/2.8
that would match the performance of the CZ.
Jim

They really should take a leaf out Sigmas book and make the SP lens even better, by improving build and adding USM.

I have heard enough good reports on the Tamron to get one for my 1D2. Should be here tomorrow.

Carlos Echenique
Carlos Echenique Contributing Member • Posts: 980

I had one with my D60 and used it for quite a while on my 1D Mk II. However, the action focus of the 1DMk II was too much for the Tamron. The lens is optically superb, but the USM focussing on the L lens is hard to beat. If only Canon would use that lens design with USM focus...
--
Don't anthropomorphize digital cameras. They don't like it.
http://gallery.echenique.com/carlos

Carlos Echenique's gear list:Carlos Echenique's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
Paul Dhadialla Regular Member • Posts: 112

Excellent Lens ! Use it with the 1dsMk2.
Tack sharp - excellent colors and dirt cheap

Greg Newby Regular Member • Posts: 499

My copy of the Tamron is quite astounding.

So much so that I let my 24-70L go because the Tamron ran rings around it optically.

I appreciate the " build quality" comments and whilst they are true I'm rather more concerned with the image quality.
I don't use my lenses as hand grenades so they're not gonna get a bashing.

Greg

Nelson Ricciardi Contributing Member • Posts: 694

I use a 28-75 on a 1DII and the optical quality is superb.

The only thing that bothers me some is the focus hunting. In low light situations, the focus can have problems to lock on the subject.

Nelson

Nelson Ricciardi's gear list:Nelson Ricciardi's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X-T1
Brad Franklin Contributing Member • Posts: 568

That's your camera, not your lens. Assuming two lenses have the same max aperature, lenses don't have anything to do with hunting in low light - focusing is the job of your camera's focusing system. Now comparing the Tamron to a USM 24-70, both will hunt in exactly the same situation but you'll probably notice the Tamron hunting more (it focuses a wee bit more slowly, and makes more noise).

John Regular Member • Posts: 333

I would concur with most here. The Tamron is fabulous value for money if you get a good copy. Unfortunately I had to return mine for calibration, but it came back spot on. I have a 24-70L also and its comparable optically to that. Been using it on the 1DSmkII and 10D. Superb results.

Nelson Ricciardi Contributing Member • Posts: 694

Brad,

Thanks for the reply.

Problem is: in the same situation, the Canon 24-70L can LOCK on the subject.

The Tamron (wich I love) hunts and DOES NOT lock no matter how long I wait.

Same subject. Same light.

Regards

Nelson

Nelson Ricciardi's gear list:Nelson Ricciardi's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Fujifilm X-T1
BryanB Regular Member • Posts: 345

I use the 28-75 with my 1Ds and I am very happy. Not as nice as my 70-200 IS but it is just behind in terms of contrast and sharpness.

If I had to point out a negative it would be that focus is not as fast as my Canon and that the Tamron lens cap refuses to stay put.

Overall I would recommend it to anyone.

-- hide signature --

Bryan

Hi Nelson,

That's strange! What camera do you use?

Brad

Whoops sorry, I just re-read the original message. I've never had problems in low light with my Tamron, but then again I haven't compared it side by side with a 24-70. Perhaps Canon lenses have some means of communicating better with the camera's focusing system?

Carlos Echenique
Carlos Echenique Contributing Member • Posts: 980
It's a function of contrast...

The focussing mechanism needs contrast in order to function. This is why all lenses regardless of quality or price hunt on clear blues skies or flat walls of one color. I have found the Canon 24-70L to be a bit more contrasty than the Tamron and that, coupled with the way fast USM, gives it the edge.
--
Don't anthropomorphize digital cameras. They don't like it.
http://gallery.echenique.com/carlos

Carlos Echenique's gear list:Carlos Echenique's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 70-200 F4 +1 more
Re: It's a function of contrast...

Ah, that makes complete sense. Thanks Carlos.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads