Photo RPM - Profile

Started Apr 7, 2005 | Discussions
Danny D Regular Member • Posts: 416
image smudge

Hi I saw the other post on that. I can't give you an answer what causes that.

I would complain to epson about that. I had a problem several years back with a 1270 model where the prints would shift in color within 2 hours to an orange color. They refunded me my money and I bought the 1280 and have not had a problem since.

Good luck.

David Grabowski Veteran Member • Posts: 7,291
Re: image smudge

Danny D wrote:

Hi I saw the other post on that. I can't give you an answer what
causes that.

I would complain to epson about that. I had a problem several years
back with a 1270 model where the prints would shift in color within
2 hours to an orange color. They refunded me my money and I bought
the 1280 and have not had a problem since.

Good luck.

Danny,

That orange shift problem turned out to be the first run of the Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper. I used that paper on the Epson 1200 and had the same shift you experienced !!!! by the time the 1280 came out the paper had changed over stock on the shelves.
David

Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,482
Re: photo rpm vs best photo

Are you resampling in PS to 13x19 at 360 dpi or are you letting the print driver upres to 13x19? If you are doing the latter that is the reason for the improvement at Photo RPM.

Bruce

Danny D wrote:

However, recently I have been printing some 13x19 prints and I do
see a difference.

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +1 more
EJS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,778
!/4 quality?

If the printer is made with a maximum print resolution of 2880 dots of horizontal resolution and 1440 lines of vertical resolution no software is going to change this mechanical limitation.

The RPM setting is a software printing enhancement that takes the various sized dots in Epson's MSDT and optamally places the right sized dots in the details of the printed image that require a dot of that size to produce the best shadow and color.The plan and the result are not always the same.

There is no miracle thats going to make a 2880x1440 dpi printer into a 5760x1440,always listed with an asterisk, printer by a software solution.

Bruce Oudekerk
Re: Photo RPM - Profile... NOT

Our ongoing debate continues:)

I agree with your assessment of the practical output (we all generally seem to) but your statement below just isn't true. I have a 4-year-old (ish) ESC 900 and ESC980 (admittedly not 6 color photo printers but have similar droplet and resolution specs to others. The ability of the R800 to utilize the very small droplet size and its ability to dither these droplets is leagues beyond the 4-year-old technology. They cannot even be compared. It can readily be seen by eye. Under magnification it is really obvious.

You are one of the few people that should get a custom profile for PhotoRPM if for not other reason than to sooth your angst.

As a total aside the only place I can see using Photo RPM is ironically not on a photo but rather a structured graphic that has very delicate high contrast detail in non-horizontal and non-vertical orientation.

Bruce

Iusefilm wrote:

You could
have just used a 4 year old inkjet printer that only was able to
print 4-5 picoliter droplets at 1440dpi?!
Tony K

Sony Alpha a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8 +1 more
Bruce Oudekerk
show us the money:)

When you get both custom profiles up and running, let us know what differences you see between Best Photo and Photo RPM on various prints.

Bruce

Iusefilm Senior Member • Posts: 1,143
Re: Photo RPM - Profile... NOT

You are one of the few people that should get a custom profile for PhotoRPM if for not other reason than to sooth your angst.

Actually, I do not have any angst about any of this. I am not sure why people can not read printer specification, or understand what profilling or printing at a certain "dpi" means. So let us just agree, the Epson R800 is capable printing 99% continous tone images at 1dpi on Photo RPM setting in the Print Quality window. Meaning, there are no visible inkjet printer artifacts. Could a third party RIP improve on this? Most certainly!

That extra one percent could be smoother shadow tonal separation, even more random dot placement to compleatly elliminate microbanding...etc.
It has been listed in several published specifications for this printer (R800)

that Photo RPM is an optimised resolution of 5670x1440dpi... whatever that means! And the printer is sold as such!!! Best Photo has a printer resolution of 1440x720dpi or 1/4 quality vs. PhotoRPM and all canned .icc ptofiles for the Epson papers, Ilford papers etc, are at Best Photo (1440x720) quality setting.

To use these profiles at PhotoRPM may work well with certain images, however. Though, it is against the well established Color Management Dogmas. Resulting in colour and contrast shifts.

These are all facts. Available for publick consamptions. What I think about Epson's marketing regarding this switch and bait is well known too.

Most selfrespecting weekend wedding gurus would die should you suggest to them that they can not use their new and shinny 1DSII, or 2DX at any higher resolution than 3MP!
What would be the fun in that!

Tony K

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads