Photo RPM - Profile

Started Apr 7, 2005 | Discussions
mark3000 Regular Member • Posts: 237
Photo RPM - Profile

I just sent off two targets to have a Premium Glossy profile made for my Epson R800. I don't know why I did it but I used photo RPM instead of Best Photo, which I always use for printing. (For non-Epson owners, Photo RPM is an enhanced higher resolution print up to 5760 dpi)).

The question is : shall I tell the profile company not to go ahead and print new targets at the Best Photo resolution, or do you think this will make no difference as far as having a profile made goes?

Many Thanks.

Dominic.Chan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168
Re: Photo RPM - Profile

mark3000 wrote:

I just sent off two targets to have a Premium Glossy profile made
for my Epson R800. I don't know why I did it but I used photo RPM
instead of Best Photo, which I always use for printing. (For
do you think
this will make no difference as far as having a profile made goes?

From what I remember, RPM and Best Photo do produce slightly different-looking prints.

You can confirm this by making two prints of the image using identical settings except for the resolution.

Since you are paying for custom profile, I don't see why you would want to settle for a less accurate profile.

WillieB Contributing Member • Posts: 525

I would put the profiler on hold till you can re-print the targets. There is a noticable difference between the two settings. As Dominic said, you can see this for yourself by printing a few pics (be sure to include images containing skintones).
Regards,
--
WillieB

Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,346

The difference is really obvious in the color cast change in a B&W print.
Put it on hold.

Bruce

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +1 more
Gerry Abbott Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: Photo RPM or Best - Which is superior?

I was ordering custom profiles for the R1800 too and was making the assumption that Photo RPM would generally produce a better prints than Best Photo. I was also assuming that RPM would require more print time and consume more ink. Since I can live with longer print time and slightly higher cost, the only question for me is does RPM provide better prints. I normally print A4 but expect to sometimes print larger sizes once I've optimized the printing wolkflow on the new printer.

For those of you that have printed the same image with RPM and Best, did you find that RPM frequently yielded superior prints to the Best Photo mode. ?

Thanks for sharing your results.

gerry

Bruce Oudekerk
Bruce Oudekerk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,346
Re: Photo RPM or Best - Which is superior?

I can only tell the difference in detail with very strong magnification. I suggest you should preform your own tests.

Bruce

For those of you that have printed the same image with RPM and
Best, did you find that RPM frequently yielded superior prints to
the Best Photo mode. ?

Thanks for sharing your results.

gerry

Bruce Oudekerk's gear list:Bruce Oudekerk's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +1 more
EJS Veteran Member • Posts: 3,778
Which is superior?

A custom profile made for either setting will produce better prints because it's for your printer alone.

The real resolution is no different because printers are limited by the hardware.What does RPM do?It slows the printing down significantly to optomally place the dots of ink in the grid dimensions of the printer yielding the effect of a higher resolution than the mechanical constraints.

Will using it give better prints?Yes.Will it be a lot slower?Yes.Will it use more ink?Probably not.Do you need RPM?Probaly not.It's a very personal choice.

When other manufacturers claimed a 4800 optimized dpi epson claimed 5760.

Iusefilm Senior Member • Posts: 1,143

Obviously, if you "have" the RPM profiles, do not print with BstPhoto mode.

What you have done is to get a custom Photo RPM profile made for your paper choice.

Look at it this way, with Best Photo mode, the printer (R800) is running at 1/4 quality! at 1440 dpi.... in Photo RPM, it will print up to 5760 dpi...

Tony K

N8535Y Veteran Member • Posts: 3,205

I believe that the following are the equivalent dpi settings

PhotoRPM = 5760 dpi
Best Photo = 2880 dpi
Photo = 1440 dpi
Fine = 720 dpi
Economy = 360 dpi

While I doubt that you will see any difference in printing at 5760 v 2880 on Prem Gloss paper using a profile made from a target printed at either DPI, I would do an experiment with your OEM profile making a test print at both resolutions and see if it is really worth any increased print quality printing at 5760 and wasting a lot more ink and time than using 2880. If you find it does make a difference in the print, then I would get the custom profile target reprinted and kill the current order.

-- hide signature --

Bob

The R800 printer or any other Epson printer cannot print at 5760 dpi.epson and the other manufacturers add the word* optimized to their marketing hyped dpi setting to cover themselves from law suites and keep up with the jones.

The difference you see is the better dot placement not a real higher resolution because these inkjets can do it.

Page 4 of Vincent's R1800 review:

Looking at the above prints the optimum performance seems to be coming from the Best Photo setting, with a resolution of 2880 dpi. When viewed in the hand, the difference in the print quality is virtually indistinguishable, even when compared to the Canon prints. Given that this is the case, there would seem to be no real gain in using the higher dpi settings, unless of course you feel like splashing out on extra ink cartridges (higher settings will use up more ink). The Best Photo RPM setting (Resolution Performance Management) is a software driven resolution as opposed to true resolution.

Dominic.Chan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,168

EJS wrote:

Page 4 of Vincent's R1800 review:

When viewed in the hand, the difference in the print quality is
virtually indistinguishable, even when compared to the Canon
prints. Given that this is the case, there would seem to be no real
gain in using the higher dpi settings, unless of course you feel
like splashing out on extra ink cartridges (higher settings will
use up more ink). The Best Photo RPM setting (Resolution
Performance Management) is a software driven resolution as opposed
to true resolution.

With all due respect to Vincent, I don't think the statement regarding ink usage is correct. If the print quality is "virtually indistinguishable", then the ink usage must also be "virtually identical", as any additional ink is bound to affect the saturation and density of the print.

no argument here

Years of printing have taught me that quality settings have little or nothing to do with ink usage.The determining factor is the media type chosen in the driver.

OP mark3000 Regular Member • Posts: 237
Re: no argument here

Thanks to everyone for their response.

However, to answer the original question, should I try to stop the profile lab from making the profile with the photoRPM setting, as I never use it, instead using BestPhoto?

David Grabowski Veteran Member • Posts: 7,291
If you want to use Best Photo, then yes stop them (nt)

mark3000 wrote:

Thanks to everyone for their response.

However, to answer the original question, should I try to stop the
profile lab from making the profile with the photoRPM setting, as I
never use it, instead using BestPhoto?

What can I say?

Well, unfortunately I was unable to stop the process. The company involved excelled themselves and actually e-mailed me the completed profile the same day they received the targets - today!

Added to that, and going completely beyond the call of duty, they have made me a fantastic offer (I won't state the exact details here as it could be open to abuse) to solve the problem.

We're so quick to complain about companies that I would like to recommend this one here. They're a UK based company with excellent prices too :

http://www.colourprofiles.com

Danny D Regular Member • Posts: 416
photo rpm vs best photo

Hi, I have an epson 1280,which has similiar to r1800 resolution choices photo rpm and best photo, etc.

I have printed many pics a photo rpm and never saw a difference to the best photo setting. They were mostly 5x7 4x6 some 8x10 's.

However, recently I have been printing some 13x19 prints and I do see a difference. There seems to be a difference if you make a large print like a 13x19 and it is noticeable. The higher resolution pics are sharper and have better detail. I have printed several of the same prints with each setting to confirm this. Again, this would also only be evident if the subject has fine lines in it, ie-you would probably not see a diiference in portraits, I have been printing some landscape scenery pics and saw this.

So, I would test it myself and see.
But also, I have a 1280 and not an r1800 so you may not see any difference.
You will have to check for yourself.

Iusefilm Senior Member • Posts: 1,143

There is no setting in the R800 driver that uses "2880dpi".
Best Photo is only 1440dpi ot 1/4 "quality" of what the R800 is capable of.

BstPhoto .icc profiles are at 1440 dpi that Epson supplies with the printer, again, suprise suprise, the "optimised 5760dpi" introduces considerable contrast and colour shifts if the Best Photo paper profiles used along with the printer's PhotoRPM setting.

Epson is only able to get away with this switch, because most users could not tell the difference of the quality gains visible on an 8x10 print fresh off the R800 printed at 1440dpi or 5760 dpi with proper profiles. As this forum's personal opinions indicate.

However, my question is, why bother with a printer capable of 99% continous tone reproduction and only print at 1440dpi where the banding, and other inkjet artifacts are clearly visible. You could have just used a 4 year old inkjet printer that only was able to print 4-5 picoliter droplets at 1440dpi?!
Tony K

Danny D Regular Member • Posts: 416

Hi, if you are getting color problems, are you checking no color adjustment and still getting color problems?

With the 1280 and I believe the driver settings have a uniformity (similiarity) even though different printers, if I print from Photoshop and choose a paper profile, I need to go into the printer driver, advanced setting and choose no color adjustment otherwise I get a color cast too.

Have you done this? And still have a problem. I ask because I am considering upgrading to this printer soon.

Thanks.

Danny, I think I've got my head round that part of it. This problem lies somewhere with the profiles, it's not related to a colour cast but a blocking/smudging of areas of fine, dense detail like hair or fur - particularly brown.

See the image on the first post.

Danny, sorry , that image is on my other thread "R800 : Give Up?"

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads