Built in card reader in new laptop

Started Mar 26, 2005 | Discussions
MtFairy Regular Member • Posts: 288
Built in card reader in new laptop

I just got a new Toshiba Satellite P35 Laptop. I love it. It has a 17" Trubrite screen which is totally awesome. My only problem with it is that is a smartmedia card reader built into it. My Compact Flash card for my D100 is to small to fit in it. Does anyone know where I can find an adaptor that will make my card fit.

Thank You for your help
Tonya

HorseRidingHero Contributing Member • Posts: 584
Re: Built in card reader in new laptop

Tonya,

There are PC Card readers for CF cards. Sandisk makes one that costs 20-40 bucks depending on where you get it from but your best bet is to stick with an external memory reader so you get an all in one approach. It's also cheaper!

Matthew Geier Regular Member • Posts: 322
Re: Built in card reader in new laptop

MtFairy wrote:

I just got a new Toshiba Satellite P35 Laptop. I love it. It has
a 17" Trubrite screen which is totally awesome. My only problem
with it is that is a smartmedia card reader built into it. My
Compact Flash card for my D100 is to small to fit in it. Does
anyone know where I can find an adaptor that will make my card fit.

A SmartMedia card is smaller than a CF card...
You mean the 'card bus' slot ?

Some laptops are coming now with a SD media slot. A collegues little Dell has a 'standard PCMCIA/CardBus' slot and a SD slot.

My own larger Dell only has the CardBus slot. (But as a full range of IO ports on theback, I need a RS232 port for my work..)

A CF to PCMCIA adaptor should be really cheap - all they do is hold the CF card in place and 'map' the connector one to one between the CF card and the slot. Years ago I got one 'thrown in' with my purchase (of a then large!) 16Mb CF card.

There are also CF to cardbus adaptors that are a little more expensive and will get better transfer rates with those 'accelerated' CF cards, but I find even with 512mb cards, my old PCMCIA adaptor is fast enough for my needs.

I just leave the adaptor in the slot on my laptop, quite convient. More so than having to carry 'yet another dongle' around with the machine.

Matthew Geier's gear list:Matthew Geier's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads