Upgrading firmware on the E-1 on Windows XP, Service Pack 2

Started Jan 4, 2005 | Discussions
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,085
Upgrading firmware on the E-1 on Windows XP, Service Pack 2

In case other people haven't yet upgraded their firmware or installed Olympus Viewer for the E-1, I thought I would mention the steps involved. I don't know if the E-300 will have similar problems.

1) Install the Viewer software from the CD. This is complicated by the fact that on Windows XP/SP2, the installation program crashes. What you need to do is go in with Windows Explorer, and go to the drive by typing it in (D:\ in my case). If you double click on the CD, it will run the auto-run program and crash once again. Reboot your system.

2) Download and install the Viewer 1.2 software from (making sure that Viewer is not running at the time): http://www.olympusamerica.com/e1/sup_softwareupdates.asp . Reboot again.

3) Set your camera's USB/Firewire mode to Control instead of Storage. Make sure your batteries are charged up.

4) Download and install the Studio Software Driver for Windows XP. If you use the version on the CD, you will need to uninstall Viewer and start over. When prompted to, attach the camera to USB or Firewire. Evidently every time you change from USB to Firewire, you have to run this software once again. I suspect if you have multiple USB controllers in your system (ie, a USB 2.0 pcmcia card plus 1.1 ports builtin), you will have to run the software once again. Note, the computer has to be on the internet, and hopefully the Olympus site is up.

5) Run Viewer, and go to the Help menu, and click on Install Firmware. Install the 1.3 firmware. Afterwards unplug the USB/Firewire cable from the camera, and wait until it is finished installing. Then turn off the camera.

6) If you have the 14-54 lens, connect it to the camera, go into Viewer, go into Held and click on Install Firmware. Install the 1.1 firmware for the lens. Unplug the USB cable, and wait for the camera to finish. Turn off the camera.

7) If you have the 50-200 lens, go through the same thing.

This is one of the more complicated methods of installing firmware. I wonder, did Olympus have a contest to see which engineer could come up with the most hairbrained method of installing firmware? What was wrong with putting the firmware in a special directory on the CF card and turning on the camera that most other camera makers use? Also, the little warning that you can't back out firmware must have been a special touch -- after all, firmware never has bugs in it. Why does the Studio Software driver have to be reinstalled when you switch from firewire to USB?

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Michael Yung Regular Member • Posts: 466
Re: Upgrading firmware on the E-1 on Windows XP, Service Pack 2

Thanks for the info. I tried but still failed with error (i.e. the computer cannot detect the camera) and I retried many many times.

Are there any other tricks to solve the problem (as there is a new firmware update coming) ?

Michael Yung's gear list:Michael Yung's gear list
Leica Q Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +7 more
Ceci Land Senior Member • Posts: 1,244

I had exactly the same thing happen. I had put off upgrading to SP2, but due to finding an updated viewer driver on Oly's site which specifically stated that it was for SP2, I took the plunge and upgraded my OS. Now I wish I hadn't. It saw the camera one time and told me I had firmware 1.2, then it crapped out. It hasn't worked since.

FWIW, I have a laptop with a 4 pin firewire conneciton. So I got me a 4 pin to 4 pin firewire cable and will use that to upgrade the E1 firmware. If you have a PC, you can get a firwire card that supports the 6 pin cable that Oly gives you with the camera. (six pin to four pin firewire cable actually). The firewire PCI cards should be really cheap. Other than that, I don't know how to reliably get my windows machine to interface with the camera.

Here's hoping that firewire is the answer.

Ceci

Michael Yung wrote:

Thanks for the info. I tried but still failed with error (i.e. the
computer cannot detect the camera) and I retried many many times.

Are there any other tricks to solve the problem (as there is a new
firmware update coming) ?

lisa1 Contributing Member • Posts: 913

thanks alot this really helped, lisa

butch 884 New Member • Posts: 16

Hi all
I Have had the E1 & 14 -54 for a month now and still trying to
do the firmware upgrade. I have now contacted Olympus in Prague
for help and still I wait. I am running on Windows ME and I am able to

download the photos to Viewer but it will not find the camera on firmware upgrade, yes I am changing to control.

Any help would be great

regards Mike

ubiquityman Regular Member • Posts: 421

uninstall and reinstall the latest driver for Studio. (you can leave the software installed)

Jim Anderson
Jim Anderson Senior Member • Posts: 1,230

I can not find 1.2 Veiwer? I can find 1.5, will that work?
--
James A
E-1
God bless our troops!

Jim Anderson's gear list:Jim Anderson's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6
GregF Senior Member • Posts: 1,912
Yes

The original post was made over a year ago, at the time 1.2 was the latest version.

tbower
tbower Veteran Member • Posts: 3,515

Actually, I think you MUST upgrade to 1.5 for the firmware upgrade to work. This gives you "upgrade firmware" option in the HELP menu.

I upgraded my firmware in my E-1 about two weeks ago, and once I installed the correct driver everything worked fine...and this is on an old PIII 1Ghz laptop thru my wireless connection running WindowsXP Home SP2.
--
Tom
(Equipment in profile)

tbower's gear list:tbower's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR
GregF Senior Member • Posts: 1,912
Yep

The main problem people are having is not installing the XP driver. Even current E-x owners, who picked up a new E-1 have this problem because they need to reinstall the driver for the new camera. I think you have to do it each time you hook up a different camera than last time.

Nico_ZA New Member • Posts: 11
Please help...

Please help me...

I install the USB driver - seems OK - ask to restart PC .. Do that

Open viewer 1.4 go to help firmware update - get question to confrim OK

Then quick message that says connecting E1 then nothing....

Please what should happen it the connection from Africa just slow or Olympus server slow how long can it take for something to happen...

Please I am really worried to leave it to long the batt are charged but please I cannot afford the E1 to crash......

Tx

Nico

Blueskystudio Regular Member • Posts: 252
Re: Please help...

I have to say, that installing Olympus viewer, updating it to the latest version, then updating the firmware on my E1 and 14-54mm was a doddle. I used firewire, on Mac OSX. Does that really make such a difference? Sometimes one can install software in a slightly non-standard way, perhaps even forget to restart, then can result in problems, in which case the best thing is to start over. It would be so frustrating if it was this tricky to do. I found the same ease of updating when I did my E300.
--
Blue.

http://www.blueskystudio.co.uk
http://www.flickr.com/photos/blueskystudio/

JimCB Regular Member • Posts: 172

Michael Yung wrote:

Are there any other tricks to solve the problem (as there is a new
firmware update coming) ?

As mentioned several times in the past: disable the firewall. It seems the firewall prevents the firmware upgrade from "seeing" your camera.

At least, it works for me (Windows XP, SP2, E-1).

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

-- hide signature --
tdoney Regular Member • Posts: 472

I didn't have any trouble installing the software or updating it, nor did I have problems with the firmware for the E-300.
--
Olympus E-300
Olympus C-2500L
Minolta Dimage Z2
Minolta Film XG-9 SLR

halfmac
halfmac Contributing Member • Posts: 998

Thank You.

Tried updating on my MacBook Pro under OSX and the camera was not reconized.

Tried under Windows same problem. Then I download the camera driver and it worked
under Windows Xp Sp2 on my MacBook Pro.
--
Alan
http://homepage.mac.com/halfmac/
Oly E-300

halfmac's gear list:halfmac's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +12 more
Michael Meissner
OP Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,085

halfmac wrote:

Thank You.

Tried updating on my MacBook Pro under OSX and the camera was not
reconized.
Tried under Windows same problem. Then I download the camera
driver and it worked
under Windows Xp Sp2 on my MacBook Pro.

You are welcome. Talk about a blast fromt he past.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads