Another Ricoh Gx review

Started Jul 20, 2004 | Discussions thread
wrz OP Regular Member • Posts: 299
I'm bored by this stupid reviews and opinions

The biggest problem with Caplio GX is it cheap price. People gives value for cameras by their price mostly, Ricoh GX costs 280E in EU and it's much below average in top 5Mpix 1/1.8 class. This camera wasn't designed for amateurs it's spec aimed at more experienced users. It's funny but maybe higher price would result in better reviews and opinions.

GX picture quality is best in it's class because there isn't any other small 5Mpix camera with 28mm lens, hot shoe, fast shutter response and AF, optical viewfinder. People compare pictures from GX to Canon G5 and other cameras with zooms starting from about 35mm. This comparison is unfair becouse CA gets higher with lens angle. I agree that sharpening increase noise level but in soft mode pictures are clear. Also in many reviews pictures are taken on ISO auto mode when camera uses something between 100 and 200 ISO. Pictures at 64ISO and soft mode with -1/3 exposure compensation are very good. Colors in my opinion are natural saturated like in good portrait film. I borrowed camera to my brother and he also had problems with overexposure and sometimes underexposure. It looks like camera very quickly locks f and time before achieving focus. So blaming camera is not fair if you don't know how to take picures. White balance in practial use is also acurate but if someone needs more there is a manual balance.

This is my first digital camera I've bought. I was waiting for small fast street shooter, I've been playing with few others digicams during years. When I saw GX specs I was very excaited but reviews and pictures were disapointing. Nevertheless I bought the camera and I can tell you one thing for me in real life when you know how the camera works it produces very nice pictures. The biggest problem is you have to wait for charging internal flash when using extarnal.

The only real competition for GX will be upgraded GX:-)

1. wrz#

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
wrz
D G
D G
D G
D G
D G
D G
D G
D G
D G
wrz
D G
D G
D G
D G
D G
D G
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow