The Frankenlens! 2000mm!!!

Started Jun 13, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
toupsie Regular Member • Posts: 140
The Frankenlens! 2000mm!!!

(taken with a Canon PowerShot S10)

Not being satisfied with my Canon 100-400mmL IS for lunar photography and not having the cash for Canon 1200mmL, I decided to make up my own super telephoto. Sure I could go with a telescope and a T-Mount, but that isn't as portable as this setup. What I have done is buy a Rubinar 1000mm from RuGift.com, a M42 to Canon EOS mount converter, a Tamron 2x 300F-CA Teleconverter and an angle viewfinder then combined them all together with my Canon EOS 10D.

My first attempt at getting this mess to work failed with a "Err 01" every time I clicked the shutter. After some research I determined that the Tamron needed to have the contacts taped. After doing that, it worked perfectly. My understanding is that the Tamron is sending back to the 10D some confusing AF information because the other end of the Tamron has the solid metal M42 converter. Taping the contacts on EOS side of the Tamron prevents this. Can someone confirm this?

I have taken some test shots and they came out "good" but they are not what I designed this system to do. High winds outside today made the camera a little unstable on my Manfrotto but the angle viewfinder makes it a snap to focus this "frankenlens". The main purpose for this set up is to take pictures of the moon. When I get a good night, I will post my results. I am really looking forward to a clear night now.

I am just amazed it works at all. I figured that it was cheap enough to try and I could always dump the lens on eBay if it failed.
--
Cheers,
Robert
10D Photos: http://homepage.mac.com/toupsie/Photography/

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JMF
Tul
Tul
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow