Do you still prefer a D70 over a hacked 300D?

Started Jun 9, 2004 | Discussions thread
thomas1973 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,477
Re: Do you still prefer a D70 over a hacked 300D?

-Ed- wrote:

I don't want to get into another heated debate but I was over at
300D forum and I read many "anti D70" comments that attacks many
aspects of the camera especially the "inferior" image quality claim
due to moire and noise.

All reviewers agree both cameras have excellent image quality, and those reviewers who's made the D70 go head to head against the 300D, has found the images to be virtually indistinguishable. Some of them prefer the D70, some the 300D.

IMO, the 300D/10D images are very good and very noise free, but sometimes slightly plastic like. The D70 looks sharpeper and more 'real' to me - it has a more film like look. The same goes for the grain at high ISO, where the uniform film like grain of the D70 looks much more pleasing to me than the 'rainbow' noise of the 300D/10D.

But all these differences are minute, and different people will prefer either camera's pictures for different reasons. Bottom line is they are (more or less) equally good, and whining and screaming about which is 'best' is just meaurebating...

What really bothered me was that no one
was able to defend against those claims. Peacekeeper, Todd, and
Msport had tried but I think they were overpowered by a few
relentless Canonians.

I personally have not experienced such problems. In fact, I am
perfectly happy with D70 and I have printed out a few unbelivable
pictures.

So there's no problem, then

Stop worrying, and go out and take some pictures!

But now, I wonder if I get the best performance / $ ratio

It depends on what you're looking for in a camera. The best performance/$ ratio is arguable in the cheaper 3MP p&s cameras with OK lenses, from the likes of Canon, Nikon and Oly.

especially now the new firmware hack is available that gives the
camera new features such as ISO 3200 and MLU.

ISO 3200 is indirectly obtainable on the D70 by shooting at ISO1600 and underexposing by a stop. Then you correct that underexposure in NC afterwards.

MLU would be nice. Maybe some russian hacker will give the D70 MLU too

So my question is now if you can return your D70 for a 300D + about
$400 more in your wallet, would you do it?

NO. Because the features that attract me most to the D70 cannot be fixed on the 300D by any hack:

• Instant power on

• 2 command dials

• 1/500s flash sync

• front/rear curtain flash sync

• faster all round handling (image review, shot to shot time etc.)

These are features that MATTER when shooting, IMO. Other than that, I'm happy for the Canon 300D owners that they got a hack that 'unlocked' the powers of their camera, as the hacks really makes a difference (especially the FEC and MLU).

Both the D70 and the 300D are fine cameras. The 300D paved the way for the sub-$1000 DSLR's, and I have friends who're very happy with it, and they're still happy with it, and the 300D still holds its own after the D70 came out (especially as they lowered the 300D retail price). But for me and my needs, the D70 is still the better camera.

Thomas.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
fjp
fjp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow