Losing photos forever

Started Apr 24, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jason Edwards Senior Member • Posts: 2,681
Losing photos forever

The thread on CD-R lifespan got me thinking about something. Who is going to take care of your digital photos when you pass away ? With regular film photos you pass on your negatives and photos to your loved ones when you die. These get put up in the closet until someone needs or whats to look at them and they are generally safe.

With the digital photos that we take with our cameras we make sure they are as safe as we can. We archive them to several places. We update the storage medium whenever something new and better comes along. Who is going to do this when you are gone. Someone will need to make sure the photos are safe and that the way they are stored is not going to go bad over time. I can imagine leaving these disc to my son and him not really think about whats involved in keeping the photos safe. Then all of a sudden he wants to look/show someone these photos and he cant get the disc or what ever medium is used to work. There are backups, but they are also on the same type of medium and they have failed. If he had only been moving them to the current storage medium and making backups periodically then everything would be ok. Guess I can make sure I leave instructions.

Scary thought or just a stupid one ??

Jason

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow