Processing a white fcb background (PS tutorial)

Started Apr 20, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Uncle Frank
Uncle Frank Forum Pro • Posts: 21,511
Processing a white fcb background (PS tutorial)

I used white fcb background for this picture of a Nigela damascene (aka Persian Jewel, and Love-in-a-Mist).

I've used various approaches to add color gradients to white fcb pics. My current fave involves using [selective color] and layer masking. Unfortunately, these utilities aren't available in Photoshop Elements, so this is just for Photoshop users.

The first step is to create a duplicate layer. Then make it invisible by clicking off the "eye" on the duplicate layer, and activate the bottom layer by clicking on it.

Go to [image-adjustments-selective color]. Choose [whites], and increase the magenta component. Then activate the duplicate layer, and using [selective color] again, and increase the yellow component of its whites.

Go to [layer-layer mask-reveal all], creating a layer mask on the duplicate layer. By coloring black on this layer mask, you'll be able to hide the duplicate layer and let the background layer show through.

In this case, I used a white-to-black gradient...

... and in this case, I used the cloud rendering filter. As you can see, using this approach, the possibilites are endless.

Here's my final product.

This technique is a little tricky, buy once you get the hang of it, it's a really fast way to add some color to a white fcb composition.

-- hide signature --

Warm regards, Uncle Frank,
FCAS Charter Member, Hummingbird Hunter
Dilettante Appassionato
Gallery at http://www.pbase.com/unclefrank/coolpix

Uncle Frank's gear list:Uncle Frank's gear list
Nikon D700 Olympus PEN E-P5
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow