For Iliah Borg - D100 Characteristic Curves Test

Started Apr 18, 2004 | Discussions thread
Iliah Borg Forum Pro • Posts: 29,605
D100 Characteristic Curves Test

Banal findings:

From the curves you created it is IMHO very definite that Nikon goes with nearly 12%, and all the custom curves are applying TRC to bring 12% to about 20-22%. Shifting custom curves to the right 0.5 eV brings them to pretty good match to the "normal" curve, exept for the shoulder, which results in preserving highlights due to extra room. It is also pretty obvious that trying to keep lower noise levels, "normal" curve renders shadows darker then they should be. And thus the smooth curve renders higher gamma in midtones and highlights, compressing them. Shoulder of custom curves come very close to Gretag-Macbeth recommended rendition of highlights, having RGB=249 up to D=.23, which regular gamma 2.2 curve would render to approx. 200 This demands for a sharper contrast in midtones, rendering them more punchy. From the point of view of printing and tone separation "normal" curve is not very good. For photoprinting custom curves seem to provide more pleasant images. For offset printing... all the tone curves need extensive post-processing.

I hope I understood your question below.

Would you be able to compare the tonality of the D100 with that of
Velvia or Provia using the Excel spreadsheet I created?

-- hide signature --

no text

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow