FCAS membership application

Started Apr 1, 2004 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ngomong Regular Member • Posts: 109
FCAS membership application

Okay, here goes...

It's a tulip that's nearing it's end. It bloomed so hard it ripped itself apart.

Here's the same thing, straight out of the camera, no editing ('cept resize):

... and here's a shot of my setup:

Note, it's blurry and poorly composed on purpose, specifically to show how easy it is to get good shots with FCB. (Err, yeah, that's it.)

My setup is a derivation of one I saw posted here a short while ago. Basically just a box with a hole cut out on the top and one side. Then, cheap reflector lamps from Home Depot, with energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs, designed to replace normal incandescent ones. One nice advantage is they burn much cooler, so it's safe up against that white pillowcase covering the holes in the box. Plus, the flowers don't droop during the shoot.

I did a shoot a little while ago using some halogen worklamps, and looking through the shots later, it was quite apparent that the flowers were drooping slowly from the heat. I should make a little movie... Fluorescent bulbs, problem solved.

Workflow:

• Three shots taken with Coolpix 4500, aperature priority, bracketed -1, 0, +1, and combined using the layer mask technique:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/digital-blending.shtml

ISO: 100
Aperature: f7.7
Shutter: 1/6, 1/12, 1/24

• Flower isolated and a new layer mask created... Mask edited to remove central stem then gradient fill added.

• Curves

• Sharpening

• Resize

How did I do?

clay.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow