Incident! @ The NYC Anti-War Protest/March - (D100 Pic Sequence)

Started Mar 22, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
-X- Regular Member • Posts: 286
Incident! @ The NYC Anti-War Protest/March - (D100 Pic Sequence)

I went on over yesterday to check out the Anti-War March/Protest in Midtown (Manhattan). Needless to say, it was another great experience. There were literally thousands of Photogs all around me. Mostly P&S, but also a very large share of Pro's and Photo-enthusiasts. And I saw a lot of impressive equipment as well! Boy was it an awesome day for a picture!

So anyway, in the midst of all this action, a rather newsworthy occurence emerged. Check out the follwing images to see what lead to an elderly woman being lead out of the march.....on a stretcher.

It started with a very large group of Student Protesters/Marchers who chose to get their point across in a rather unconventional method.

They stop at certain points during the march (for about a minute) and form a sort of barricade, creating a huge gap between themselves, and the marchers ahead of them. (Take notice of the "Gray-Haired" Lady to the right of the frame with her back towards the camera.)

The "ringleader" then coordinates (via bullhorn'ed instructions) a "rush", in which (at the ringleader's call) all the marchers begin storming down the open path ahead of them in a sort of "BraveHeart-esque", warrior-like manner. Extremely intimidating, but very point driving, needless to say. All the Photogs, including myself, quickly scrambled out of the way to avoid the angry stampede!

Unfortunately, one of us didn't make it. An elderly woman (a fellow Nikonian, btw) was apparently not quick enough to escape the angry stampede. She was trampled! Many of us rushed to her side. Upon quick realization that she was in the best hands she could be in at the moment (a doctor was actually in the area), I felt compelled to document the somewhat unfortunate consequences of these protester's actions.

After closer analysis, it seemed she was in worse condition than we had earlier anticipated. We advised her to remain down until further help arrived. She was comforted by many good samaritans while the Paramedics were en route to the scene.

Finally, help arrived, and it was determined that she should be taken to a local hospital for further examination.

Thankfully, I didn't see anyting else this unfortunate occur for the remainder of the March. My thoughts and prayors go out to that poor lady, and I sincerely hope she is doing well.

Thanks for looking, and please do not hesitate to post comments and/or critiques on my images.
-X-
--

'No one ever takes a photograph of something they want to forget.' - Seymour Parrish ('Sy the Photo Guy')
PBase Supporter: http://www.pbase.com/diskidx

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
-X-
-X-
s&s
-X-
NNS
-X-
-X-
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow