DIY! Build your own inexpensive RF Wireless Remote Shutter Release.

Started Feb 22, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MarkQ Regular Member • Posts: 176
DIY! Build your own inexpensive RF Wireless Remote Shutter Release.

Having been on these forums for a few years now, I’ve seen many posts/requests for a cheaper wireless remote release than the Canon LC-4 infrared one (which costs between $350 and $400!).

I’ve also been looking for such a device that I could build myself … I recently came across the Australian kit site http://www.kitsrus.com . They sell a series of RF transmitters/receivers as kits and as component parts. The ones that are most of interest are the 2-button transmitter TX-3316RS and the receiver module RX-3302D2-15. The transmitter is a key-fob type and is complete (even includes a battery). The receiver is a pre-built circuit board and includes an on-board decoder. All you need to do is add a pair of resistors and transistors to drive the shutter release, and a 9v battery/7805 regulator+capacitors for the power supply. Optionally, you can also add LEDs/resistors for visual feedback. Interesting thing about these modules are they are rolling-code (high security) types and you can use/train up to 15 transmitters with one receiver – both of which are overkill for this application of course.

It took me a couple of days (free time) to build, most of the effort being in the putting-together of the components in the box. The finished unit has a range of about 100ft.

Price? Well, the cost of the transmitter and receiver is a total of $25 shipped! You’ll probably need about $10-$15 of extra parts (if you don’t have a “parts bin”) from either Radioshack or online (e.g. Digikey.com). All-in-all MUCH cheaper than Canon’s solution! To buy the transmitter and receiver, go to http://www.kitsrus.com/bits.html and you’ll find them down near the bottom of the page (or page-search for TX-3316RS). You can order with a credit card on the site… they ship from Hong Kong, but mine took less than a week to arrive.

Of course, you’ll also need a Canon RS-80N3 wired remote or RA-N3 adapter for the N3 connector for your camera (unless you somehow make your own). The price of either of these exceeds the cost of the RF remote itself – but you have no choice I’m afraid. I had an RS-80N3, which I modified by cutting the cord and splicing in a 1/8” stereo jack/socket. That way I can use either the RF remote OR the wired remote as I choose.

If there’s enough interest (hint: reply to this post) I can put up a circuit diagram and some construction pictures and hints.

This is the receiver PCB and the transmitter fob from kitsrus:

This is my finished receiver/controller in a Radioshack box (tight fit!). The wires make it look a lot more complex than it is:

Good luck.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrc
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow