S602z revitalised

Started Feb 21, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
John Stark Regular Member • Posts: 148
S602z revitalised

After a year of wondering why my S602z had such poor battery life under certain conditions, to have the problem solved is a great relief and almost like having a new camera. It was a problem that was driving me mad and was especially annoying because in every other respect I am extremely pleased with my S602z and have not seen any more recent camera models in the Fuji line (or any other brand) that I would rather have. (Although something like the F700 or F710 that would fit in a pocket would have some appeal as an additional camera but not as a replacement for the S602z).

With freshly charged NiMH cells in the camera I can take photos all day (although I have never taken more than 200 on one day). I never had them go flat on me. However, if I put fresh cells in the camera but didn't use it for 5-10 days, I'd be lucky to get 6 photos before the camera shut down. One of the 4 cells was always flat - the others OK.

The solution was putting shrink-wrap over the prong on the battery compartment lid to insulate it from the small triangular projection on the camera body that it rests on. (This seems to be a catch to stop the battery compartment lid from slipping open). Seems the S602z camera body is plastic with a high carbon content and can short out one of the cells when the less-conductive (non-conductive?) surface of the triangular projection wears off.

There's nothing new in this post regarding this problem, but I just wanted to say how pleased I am with my new one-year-old S602z. It's a simple modification, and even if you think your S602z is not affected by this problem (if you use it everyday you probably wouldn't notice it), it would do no harm to add shrink-wrap or insulating tape to the offending metal prong.

John Stark, Nelson, NZ

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
AJ
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow