CHALLENGE: Prove that 5MP is better than 3 MP!

Started Feb 20, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nicke2323 Regular Member • Posts: 187
CHALLENGE: Prove that 5MP is better than 3 MP!

Check the two versions of the image of the purple flower in this review of the V1, and read the text just below.

http://www.digitalsecrets.net/Sony/SonyV1Review.html

The reviewer (Peter iNova) suggests that there is no significant added value from using the full 5MP of a 5MP camera, the same detail exists in 3MP images (of a 5MP camera). I quote - "Why? Because a full frame is not pixel perfect, but a captured and reduced to 3.1M frame is pixel perfect." The conclusion is that we might as well save memory and shoot in the lower resolution settings.

Here is the CHALLENGE:

Shoot two identical images using your 5MP camera, one in 5MP and the other in 3MP. Make sure exposure settings are identical. Now blow up the 3MP to 5MP (i.e. 2592 x 1944) in Photoshop, and compare. If you see a significant difference, show your proof here and receive public acclaim. If not, please post a quick note that you confirm Peter's result. Let me start:

I have performed this test several times using the P10 and the T1, and have seen no appreciable difference. I always shoot in 3MP mode now.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BB
BB
BB
tko
BB
ldh
ldh
ldh
ldh
ldh
ldh
ldh
ldh
ldh
bld
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow