Crop for 'Art' [imgs]

Started Feb 17, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Gordon W
Gordon W Veteran Member • Posts: 4,062
Crop for 'Art' [imgs]

As my mentor taught me many years ago...

"When you strip away everything that is unessential in a representation, what you have left is art."

This applies very well to photography in which cropping is 'stripping away' in its simplest and easiest form.

Just as it completely baffles me why some people pride themselves in never post-processing files out of their digital cameras, it equally surprises me how many never crop out the unessential parts of an image that were forced on them by the fixed ratio of camera's frame, be it 3:4 or 2:3 or 1:1. Not doing this is often the difference between a snapshot and photograph.

I try to compose my shots in the camera rather than relying on doing it later in post-processing, but all too often what I'm really shooting either doesn't fit the frame exactly and other things are there in the shot that I know I'll later have to crop out in Photoshop, or as in the image below I wasn't paying enough attention to what I was doing.

Case in point, a recent photo shot with my F707...

In this uncropped image, the building and scaffolding on the right distract from the snow monoliths whose clean simple geometry was what caught my eye. If I'd been paying more attention, I'd have composed this better in the camera, but since I didn't, cropping will save its bacon.

And this is how it looks with all none essential elements cropped out, instantly giving it a more artistic look with that one simple move. However, there is still some clutter in the image itself that is distracting, so while retouching this out isn't really cropping per se, it is in the sense of cutting out.

And here it is with everything nonessential stripped away, so by the definition of my mentor, what we have here is now art.

And I can't say I disagree. To my eye, this is a much more striking image than the original.

FWIW

http://www.pbase.com/merriwolf/

Gordon W's gear list:Gordon W's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix B700 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Nikon Coolpix P1000 +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow