Share Your Best Ext. Flash Shots

Started Jan 8, 2004 | Discussions thread
Mike Fitzgerald Veteran Member • Posts: 9,542
Here's why

Max Menon wrote:

I think the second one had too much odds stacked against it.

Almost impossible to get a nice clean shot with people's posture
the way it were.

Not so much the posture, but the range. There's no EXIF data in iron photo's second shot to give an idea of focal length, but I'm guessing it was shot at fairly wide angle and very close range. With bounce (especially if you don't have any front fill available) you'll get much better results if you get back some distance and zoom in, instead. This puts the effective light source (the bright patch on the ceiling) further out in front of the subject. The benefits are less shadowing, and less light fall-off from top to bottom of the image.

These aren't Sony shots, but I've put them here to show the difference that shooting distance can make with ceiling bounce. Both were taken with a LumiQuest 80-20 Bouncer (Canon 10D and 550EX). The first image is OK (just) but would have been improved if I'd been able to get back further. The second image shows more even frontal illumination through having been shot from a much greater distance (ignore the noise -- recovered, thanks to Noise Ninja, from a 3200 ISO accident ;-).

Main bounce component (80%) at 90°, 4 ft range, domestic ceiling:

Main bounce component (80%) at 75°, 12 ft range, commercial sound absorbent tile ceiling:

The pic you've posted of your friend's daughter looks close to perfect, in terms of what you can get from a single, on-camera flash in bounce mode. Excellent shot. To do any better you'd need multiple flash.

Mike

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow