A80 shattered like china...

Started Jan 9, 2004 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
flabasha New Member • Posts: 14
A80 shattered like china...

Okay, so I'm an idiot. I got an A80 for Christmas (after much research)... and six days and many fine pictures later, I took it out of my pocket... only to have it slide smoothly out of my hand, have the worthless Canon wriststrap slip gracefully from around my wrist, and see my great new camera fall about three feet, landing on the deck. And unfortunately, one camera quickly turned into four separate, distinct pieces.

After punching myself in the head, I picked the A80 up to do a post-mortem. It had landed on the corner of the battery compartment, which split in two... the black latch had then detached, the retaining hooks on the body of the camera snapped and the batteries flew out into the cold, cold world.

No one can repair these things but Canon, and minimum repair cost is $155 (plus shipping both ways). The guys I spoke to at a very good camera shop said it was a toss-up whether I should just buy a new camera.

Okay, so aside from making everyone happy they're not me, what's the upshot? Well, I certainly AM a moron for dropping it. BUT, the fall should not have caused the damage that it did. It only dropped from the end of my outstretched arm (about 2.5 to 3 feet), and landed on a wet, spongy wood deck. Now maybe it just landed on the exact weakest part of the body (the battery compartment is under pressure)... but there is NO question in my mind that my brother's new digital, all-metal Elph would have probably just bounced once and settled.

So... the one thing I think every A80 user might want to do is buy a decent handstrap that isn't silky smooth and can be cinched up against the wrist. And for those interested in the A80, bear this in mind - it's all plastic, and the baby breaks real easy...

That being said... I LOOOVED the pictures I took with it (with the exception of a lot of barrel distortion when zoomed out... anyone else have this?), and it was so cool that there's no doubt in my mind that I'll replace it with another one. But for what it's worth, that's my story.

Oh, and a bit of (maybe) good news... I bought it on a Citibank Platinum, and they have a Buyer's Assurance Program (even though the first moron I spoke to there incorrectly said I wasn't eligible). I'm filing the claim with them now, but they are supposed to pay for it all. We'll see... but it's another thing to keep in mind when buying - or breaking - your digital camera!

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow