Sigma 55-200 F4-5.6 DC Preview

Started Nov 26, 2003 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
coolhandshin New Member • Posts: 6
Sigma 55-200 F4-5.6 DC Preview

I couldn't find any reviews on the recently released Sigma 55-200 F4-5.6 DC lens.
So I wrote a short preview in a Korean based dslr web site.

It's in Korean but the photos of the lens, and photos taken by it might give you some idea of the new Sigma.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/view.php?id=user_review&page=1&sn1=&sid1=&divpage=1&sn=off&sid=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=4677

For most of those not familiar with Korean language :), I will just sum up what I think and found out about new lens.

Sigma 55-200/4-5.6 is a smaller, lighter and less expensive lens then the existing Sigma 70-300 APO.

This is made possible since it was made exclusively for APS sensor size (ie 1.6x crop). Apparently it is expected to have a similar or better photo quality then the Sigma 70-300 since there was no need to think about the outer margin blurring when designing the lens, and could concentrate on the center part of the lens.

The lens looks like a little brother of 70-300 APO, having a similar design and size being slightly bigger than about half of 70-300 APO.
It is the actually the same size as Tamron 28-75/2.8 without the hood on.

When mounted with the hood on, it feels similar to carrying a mounted Canon 85/1.8.

It does look a bit better and more 'expensive' than 70-300 APO, however when zoomed, it still lets out it's long zoom body.

The zoom ring is a little tigher than the usual lenses and therefore I figure there would be no sliding of the lens anytime soon.
However, the zoom ring grip is a bit narrow, and needs a bit of getting used to.

The AF motor noise is about the same, however, just slightly quieter.
The AF speed seems to have improved also just slightly.
It seems to focus slightly faster and "lightly" than the 70-300.

The part I don't like is the fact that you can't put on the lens cap with the hood on.

Before the 70-300, you could squeeze your finger in the hood and put it in somehow, however this time try doing that will only scratch the inner part of the hood (which BTW looks like velvet, but is not)

The rest is some sample photos that was taken.
They were all took in Av mode with maximum open aperature.

The body was 300D at contrast +1, sharpness +2, saturation +1
The photos were resized only with no other touching.

I also did some tests comparing different aperatures at 55mm, 135mm, and 200mm.

http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/view.php?id=user_review&page=1&sn1=&sid1=&divpage=1&sn=off&sid=off&ss=on&sc=off&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=4679

At 50mm and 135mm, amazingly there were no difference between maximum open aperature and 2-3 steps closed aperature.

At 200mm there were slight differences, however, at very negligible range. Especially considering it's at its maximum focal length it is very impressive.

Overall, I would say it is an excellent lens, offering similar quality to a 70-300 APO at a smaller, lighter size and less expensive price.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow