Pixel shift with Z8 first impressions

Started 2 weeks ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
PLShutterbug Veteran Member • Posts: 4,437
Pixel shift with Z8 first impressions

I just installed v2.00 firmware in my Z8 yesterday, and anticipating that I purchased the new Z 50mm f/1.8 S lens. It arrived today. My initial tests with the new lens and pixel-shift - positive!

I have an old map of Vancouver Island so hung it on my wall and carefully aligned my Z8 so it was co-planar with the surface of the map. The map is mounted on board, though my dad didn't do a great job years ago and it is a bit wrinkly. However, from 10' away at f/5.6 the DOF means everything at the surface is sharp.

My last outing with my camera was on my telescope so I accidentally left the image area in DX mode, so these are not as high resolution as the camera can create. However, I can clearly see a difference between a single image with the lens and a 32-shot merge. Here is a screenshot of my 4K display with the single image on the left and the merge image on the right. Note that the single image is displayed at 200% vs. the 32-shot merge at 100%, to arrive at the same area of each image.

Single image on left at 200%; 32-shot pixel-shift merge on right at 100%.

My goal is to photograph large paintings my wife does at a minimum of 300dpi for giclee prints. I think this will work very well for that.

The new 50mm Z lens is also a dramatic improvement over my old, manual 50mm Nikkor 1.8, especially wide-open and in the corners. The old lens is definitely soft, but sharpens acceptably at my normal shooting speed of f/5.6. The new 50mm Z is sharper at f/1.8 as the old lens stopped down, and I feel it has better color fidelity and increased sharpness.

I will write another, hopefully more detailed review as time permits.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z8 +2 more
Nikon Z8
46 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: May 10, 2023
PLShutterbug's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
excellent
Action / sports
great
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
excellent
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
excellent
Studio / still life
excellent
= community average
Nikon Z 50mm F1.8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow