travel lens combo recommendation

Started 2 weeks ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Kiril Karaatanasov Senior Member • Posts: 2,226
travel lens combo recommendation

For a soon to happen trip to Japan I am trying to figure out my lens setup - Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara, Himeji. I have 3 options in mind:

1. Minimal - Sony 20-70 f/4 and Sony 35/1.8 (or may be f/1.4 or may be 24mm or may be even 20mm)
  2. Small primes only - 24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm (I can change one of those with 15/4.5.)
  3. Zoom Master - Tamron 17-28/2.8 and 28-75/2.8 (Version 1)

Do you think longer lens like 70-180/2.8 is needed in addition to any of the 3?

What would be preferred bag for walkabout in Japan? Messenger bag that is easy to access and very light? Light backpack like M-Trekker BP-150 ? Messenger cannot take the 70-180 or anything else but camera and possibly tickets, headphones....I can add a bottle on the side for short while but not comfortable. Backpack is slow to deal with but easier to carry around.

Camera will be A7C style.

Would you take laptop or tablet on such trips with you or large phone is good enough for occasional edit?

I am thinking about light table top tripod like Leophoto MT-03 with MBC-20 head. Do you think this is good? I have a sub KG carbon one that may fit in the BP-150 but makes the whole thing heavier.

I have some worries if I can manage lots of walking or weight as I head a broken bone in my foot recently and it hurts after some walking. In years past I would take 2 bodies, tripod and 4-5 lenses easy in a 350 or 450 bag. This time I am looking to go light.

I will be visiting the famous sites, some shows like Sumo wrestling, Nintendo world in Universal Studios, Geisha ...may be some street, some food, some temples....hopefully Sakura
Any advice about Japan would be appreciated. I have fear all is very tight in Japan and may be 20/1.8 and even wider is all I need? May be just pick 20/1.8 and 35/1.8 then? Perhaps with 75/1.8 for occasional portrait

I generally prefer prime lenses but travel is weird.

Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list:Kiril Karaatanasov's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7C
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow