Z8 interval timer observation

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SFShooter New Member • Posts: 22
Z8 interval timer observation

I have been getting familiar with my new Z8 this week. I will using it to capture star trails, and am planning to use the built-in intervalometer in conjunction with Extended shutter speeds. But I made an observation that I hope others can corroborate and explain:

For most shutter speeds, the minimum interval appears to be shutter speed + 1 second. For example, if the shutter speed is 60 seconds, the minimal interval is 61 seconds, so one second gap between exposures.

However, for 15 and 30 second shutter speeds, the minimum interval appears to be shutter speed + 2-3 seconds (e.g., 17 and 33 seconds).

To reiterate, at shutter speeds 8 seconds and lower, or 60 seconds and higher, the minimum gap between exposures appears to be 1 second.

This is with manual shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and focus, with VR off. It's writing to a Nextorage 165GB B1 Pro CFE card, basically the fastest card reported by Thom Hogan.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Nikon Z8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow