Deep dive into Z Autofocus

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Horshack Veteran Member • Posts: 9,787
Deep dive into Z Autofocus

This is a container thread for my long-term project testing various aspects of the Z autofocus system. I'm particularly interested in the accuracy and precision under various conditions and camera configurations, along with different lenses, both native and adapted F-Mount. But I suspect my interest will wander into other areas of the focus system as well.

The effort will involve automated tests I develop that will drive the camera's focus system over an PTP USB connection, using open-source utilities like gPhoto2, MTF mapper, exiftool and others.

Like most cameras, Nikon supports a remote control protocol over USB (and WiFi) for controlling operation of the camera. This control includes retrieving and changing the camera settings, taking photos/video [and transferring them to the PC], driving the focus system, etc..

Specifically for the focus system, Nikon supports remote commands both for performing AF operations and for manually driving the focus position of the lens. The focus position commands only support relative movement, ie specifying a number of steps to move the lens from its current position, and the direction to perform that move (toward infinity or minimum focus distance MFD).

As with all my projects I will be publishing any code and techniques I develop. The GitHub repository for this effort can be found at:

AutofocusTester

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow