Panasonic GH5 Low Light ISO vs A1 - PhotonstoPhotos Validation

Started 2 months ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Interceptor121 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,635
Panasonic GH5 Low Light ISO vs A1 - PhotonstoPhotos Validation

This is a set of shots taken in aperture priority standard settings multimeter on the same scene same small difference of field of view, tripod moved etc

The GH5 shot is taken at ISO 2500 on photonstophots this achieves 6.52 Ev of PDR which is acceptable for print in my standard

GH5M2 reference shot

Those are four shots which are taken with my A1 at ISO of 5000 6400 8000 10000 with identical depth of field I let the camera decide exposure in multi metering as well

Shot A

Shot B

Shot C

Shot D

The theory of equivalence says that to get the same amount of light you need to open the aperture two stops however this makes your shot overexposed if you did that so in reality you keep the same shutter speed and decrease the ISO two stops.

Because cameras and sensor are different you find that the difference in ISO is not two stops but less. In this specific case on photonstophotos it says this difference is 1 stops.

Which means that in theory the shot that in terms of SNR matches my GH5 is the one at ISO 5000. This creates great aggrevation at someone who so far believed differently but you need to remember that sensors do not have the same ability to convert incoming light into electricity and therefore varations exist.

So I thought of doing a blind test, taking into account no two lenses are the same and with the images scaled at the same resolution I would like to see what shot of the four A, B, C, D is a closest match.

And then we see who is more correct photonstophotos or the rule of equivalence in this pixel peeping contest.

The reason why I am doing this is because I have been hanging on to my GH5M2 for some specific scenarios and I want to do some final objective test before a possible upgrade

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Sony a1 Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II Sony a7C II Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +28 more
POLL
Shot A
31.3% 5  votes
Shot B
25.0% 4  votes
Shot C
25.0% 4  votes
Shot D
18.8% 3  votes
  Show results
Panasonic Lumix DC-GH5 II (Lumix DC-GH5M2) Sony a1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow