Flat view
itsmrjack
itsmrjack Forum Member • Posts: 84
Canon EF 70-200 f4 lenses vs Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 L IS

As I understand there are three Canon 70-200 f4 lenses:

• L
  • L IS
  • L IS II

Would anyone be able to comment on full GFX sensor coverage of any of these?

I have the Canon 70-300 f4-5.6 L IS USM and am finding its coverage and general performance on the Fringer adapter acceptable to me. After removing the baffle hard vignette starts to creep in when shooting closer than 8ft and between 100-300mm FL, however this just doesn't seem to be a range that I find myself using the lens for, and if the rare occasion arises where I need to shoot that close I can flip it into crop mode or just use a different lens and get closer to my subject. So then between 70-100mm at all distances and 100-300mm over 8ft I find soft vignette on the full sensor is easily correctable, after Fringer in camera corrections have done their job.

However I rarely if ever seem to be using it past 200mm. I do use it between 70-100 a lot so am not considering the GF 100-200 at this point.

Therefore I figure that by switching over to a 70-200 f4 I could save a bit of weight (between 200-300g less than the 70-300), while gaining a stop of speed at the tele end... but only if sensor coverage is no worse!

cheers,

chris.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow