Full-frame/APS-C Lens equivalence? Locked

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
This thread is locked.
brettgoulder New Member • Posts: 9
Full-frame/APS-C Lens equivalence?

Hi,

I know full-frame vs APS-C topics are done-to-death on this forum, but I was hoping someone could clarify my thinking. I am currently comparing a Fujifilm X-H2S and a Sony A7IV and had questions about how to compare lenses.

One thing that gets brought up quite a bit on this forum is that full-frame lenses are more costly and bigger than APS-C. However, my understanding is that the DOF difference between an APS-C lens and a full-frame lens is one stop. Also, the noise performance for full-frame is a 1-1.5 stops better than APS-C. Is it not more appropriate to compare an APS-C f/2.8 lens to a full-frame f/4 lens?

So in this case, these two would be roughly equivalent:
- Fujinon 16-55mm f/2.8 ($1099), 655g, 83.3 x 106 mm
- Sony 20-70mm f/4 ($1099), 488g, 78.7 x 99 mm

Rather than comparing the Fuji lens to $2200 Sony's 24-70 GM II. In this case, the Sony lens actually is smaller, same price, and beats the Fuji on the wide-end.

Since the noise performance is better by 1-1.5 stops on the full frame sensor, then I can just bump the ISO by a stop to get the same image quality.
Is my thinking flawed somehow? If someone could clarify this for me, I would appreciate it.

ANSWER:
Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
MOD Mako2011
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow